Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Help!!!!!!!! I lost my tree huggers and have a trip this weekend!

Hey Y'all---------Ive got a situation..................some how during my last test hang, I lost my tree huggers. I've been all over the house and cant find them. (I have a vague memory of putting them some where "special") I have a trip planned this weekend-----(I use straps, marlinspike hitch and whoopies) Is there anything else I could use for tree huggers/straps? Like maybe some thing I have laying around the house? Has anyone ever successfuly used rope, with a pad to protect the trees? Any input will be greatly appreciated!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Steve do you have Harbor Freight up there? I got my strap from there. They are just 1500 pound tow straps without the cams. $10-ish
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    I agree on the harbor freight deal. and hey it happens to the best of us. I know ive lost mine a couple times but I always remember before I get off the trail
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

I misplaced mine right before a recent canoe trip. Ended up using the car roof rack straps with cam locks. Worked perfectly.
    My Paddle Making & Canoe Site: paddlemaking.blogspot.com

Easy. You can buy good straps at walmart or harbor freight. They often come with a ratchet and are used to secure things to the top of your car or onto a trailer etc. That webbing is exactly the stuff you need. Just take some of that webbing, cut two 7' or so lengths, and tie a water knot in each end. You can string one loop through the other and cinch it down to the tree pretty tightly.

Alternatively, you can just use some cordage. With cordage though, I would advise you to double the length, fold it in half, and tie half hitches every 6" or so starting at the open end. Contrary to popular belief, these don't really hurt trees. They are easy to use too, just throw it around the tree and string the knotted end through the loopy end and put the loop behind whatever knot is closest to the tree. Using these things and some carabiners, it takes less than a minute to set up a hammock from start to finish.

I have used 7/64th Amsteel and I put sticks in-between it and the tree! If I remember I spaced them about like every 4" or so, just make sure that you don't use rotten wood, and I found that they worked best when they were one inch or greater in size!

Or,

You could go to Walmart and get a pair of ratchet straps!?
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you order a set of tree huggers from any of our cottage vendors today, you should easily get them in a couple of days. Might as well get the proper ones and support our hammock forum vendors.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    If you order a set of tree huggers from any of our cottage vendors today, you should easily get them in a couple of days. Might as well get the proper ones and support our hammock forum vendors.

Cheers

Brian
    +1. I keep seeing people complimenting vendors on their fast shipping. I've seen people get stuff in two days within the U.S. Might as well order new ones and if they don't show up in time go to your local store and get some tow straps as suggested.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thanks for all the great advice! You guys are the best!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Eno double nest
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    UCRS
    if all else fails.... sacrifice a seat belt for the cause lol.....

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast