Zpacks Asymmetrical Diamond Hammock Tarp vs other cuben fiber taprs

What do people think of the Zpacks Asymmetrical Diamond Hammock Tarp vs other cuben fiber tarps. I am getting my first hammock tarp.
    I see the Hammock gear Dyneema Fiber Hex Tarp. It is $235.00 and the Zpacks Asymmetrical Diamond Hammock Tarp is $175.00. Do ether tarp allow for hiking pole(s) to hold them up on a side in warm weather? This is not a must though. I see they both weigh the same and i like how much they weigh. Help on this would be nice. It would be a Christmas from my parents but I would prefer to get the Zpacks since it is less money and think that is in their budget.

Hammock
    Ol' ugly
    Tarp
    Hanger12/ DIYasym
    Insulation
    Bandit/Pheonix
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    I would say an asymmetrical tarp wouldn't be the best first tarp in my opinion. They tend to be fair weather or summer type tarps. The hex tarp will give you more coverage for your gear in case of bad weather. Probably not what you wanna hear but maybe ask for a gift card to HG and save up to get the hex tarp, or even the standard with doors. I think the weight penalty would be worth it having the added security. Buy once cry once. If the asym isn't enough you will be buying another soon.

You can put any tarp into porch mode with a little creativity.
    Where the trail ends the adventure begins!

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I have one of HG's last Diamond Asym tarps whose dimensions are almost identical to Zpacks'. It works great for above freezing weather up to light wind & rain. Anything colder, windier or wetter and you'll need a rectangular or hexagonal tarp. Preferrably one with doors. Since I have other options I only bring my asym when I know it won't be raining.

Porch mode is no problem. I often porch mode mine on both sides.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepp / Renegad
    Suspension
    buckle straps
    Are you looking for a Winter (4-season) tarp, or only for warmer weather ?

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I'd recommend getting a hex shaped tarp before you try to make an ASYM tarp work for you. I started with the Hennessy Expedition ASYM tarp over my Hennessy Hammock a couple years back, and I was always worried about getting wet. Fortunately, I never had to weather a storm under that tarp. ASYM tarps always made me a bit nervous. Maybe that's just me getting old...haha

If you really want to start with an ASYM tarp, at least check out Dutch's ASYM tarp. https://dutchwaregear.com/wide-asym-tarp.html

You can get some better coverage with it, it's still really light weight, and it's much more versatile.

Hammock
    DutchWare Half-Zipped (Hexon 1.0)
    Tarp
    HammockGear CF Hex
    Insulation
    HG UQs and TQs
    Suspension
    Huggers w/Whoopies
    Images
    Wow, a cf asym would Shirley be a true gram weenies go to tarp!

I had the asym tarp that came w/ my HH UL Backpacker Asym Hammock. My first night on the AT with it, I had a wild thunderstorm. A learning opportunity for sure.

It has a steep learning curve. One really needs to be in tune with weather patterns. Understand how the wind direction will shift overnight, and pick trees that will allow the optimum tarp placement against the wind driven rain. That’s true for all tarps, but is especially so for the asym due to fact that one corner will always be more exposed than others.

This is a great graphic from The Ultimate Hang. It shows how one positions oneself under an asym, and one can see that there is an optimum corner to be facing a storm.

https://theultimatehang.com/2012/09/...for-a-hammock/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    L.Dog
    AT 2000 Miler/ 1752 Hangin' Miles
    Pictures
    Blog
    Pack List

Just to let people know I am not really looking at going asm tarp. This tread should have been about the Curben Fiber Tarps in general. I was only looking at the Zpacks because of price and weight. I see the hex tarp from Hammock gear weighs the same but cost more. I am an Eagle Scout and an Adult with Boy Scouts. I will not use the hammock system on every campout just on campouts 1. I know I hang a hammock and 2. Not very cold (45 degrees Fahrenheit or warmer nights). I live in South Carolina so winter can get cold and not get cold.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom HNO Airship
    Insulation
    YETI UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    Quote Originally Posted by jakiehung123 View Post
    Just to let people know I am not really looking at going asm tarp. This tread should have been about the Curben Fiber Tarps in general. I was only looking at the Zpacks because of price and weight. I see the hex tarp from Hammock gear weighs the same but cost more. I am an Eagle Scout and an Adult with Boy Scouts. I will not use the hammock system on every campout just on campouts 1. I know I hang a hammock and 2. Not very cold (45 degrees Fahrenheit or warmer nights). I live in South Carolina so winter can get cold and not get cold.
    I have two from Hammock Gear Asyms and no regrets. Since Hammock Gear no longer sells them then used or a new Zpacks will do. Definitely works great...i’ve Survived some pretty intense rain but know that you need to have a plan to keep your pack dry when under tarp. I love mine! Just understand the limitations...
    Ever eat a pine tree? Me neither...

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom HNO Airship
    Insulation
    YETI UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapenut View Post
    I have two from Hammock Gear Asyms and no regrets. Since Hammock Gear no longer sells them then used or a new Zpacks will do. Definitely works great...i’ve Survived some pretty intense rain but know that you need to have a plan to keep your pack dry when under tarp. I love mine! Just understand the limitations...
    Should have mentioned..if I only could have one then I would go with asym with doors. I have one of these too and can survive in just about any weather with it..can go to ground easily too. Have fun deciding! Love the weight and pack size of any of these options.
    Ever eat a pine tree? Me neither...

• + New Posts