Winter Palace.
    Insulation
    Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch bkls

Howdy from a newbie.

Hello all,

Okay, kinda new to this stuff & have some questions:
    I bought the Crazy Crib from Crazy Creek about eight years ago thinking at the time it was a nice alternative to being on the ground. It was. But since then I have been striving to lower my pack weight, and that hammock weighs a lot! Especially the strap buckles.
    I’m a month away from 50, and slightly arthritic, and comfort is important. Are any of you hammock heads of an older breed? Do you wake up “cricky” after sleeping in one?

Also, I’m a cheap so and so, and was wondering if any of you might have some suggestions on how I might modify the crazy crib to lessen it’s weight?
    I have a large silnylon tarp, and poncho tarp, so I could possibly replace the crazy crib tarp with the nylon one. I also just had a friend give me a fairly large roll of Tyvek, would that be a better/lighter tarp alternative?
    The Cuban fiber is WAY to expensive for my budget. Do they make that stuff out of fibers from Fidel Castro’s beard? <:^P
    Can I maybe get rid of the crazy crib “poles” and just rig a line through the netting? Cut down the straps? I have LIMITED sewing skills. Crazy glue is a dear friend of mine.
    I don’t want to start hacking up the crazy crib if these modifications are not viable. If that were the case, I will try and sell it and start over with your suggestions.
    Anywhoo, I think I’ve bent your cyber-ears long enough. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thankyekindly,

Screwy Louie.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB &amp; Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I hear you on the "waking up cricky" part. That's what brought me here!

You should attend the Texas group hang at Fairfield Lake State Park in mid November. A wealth hands on knowledge. Here's the link.... http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=35948
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Can't say much about the crazy crib, never seen one, I DIY but it can be cheaper at times to buy. I just like working with my hands, I'm retired, age 60. In to my 4th month sleeping fulltime in a hammock. Best sleep I've had in 60 years, the only problem I have sleeping in a hammock is getting up in the morning, I don't want to! Welcome aboard and enjoy the fun!
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Eno Singlenest &amp; DubbleNest
    Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly
    Insulation
    Foam pad &amp; slp bag
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Images
    Welcome to HF
    From Winnipeg MB Canada
    This is your one stop shop for all Hammock knowledge

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    DD Tarp 3x3
    Insulation
    GarQuilt/Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Welcome to the forum from west Texas.

Hammock
    Byer of Maine Moskito
    Tarp
    Chinook 12&quot; x 9'6&quot;
    Insulation
    Zeppelin 20° UQ
    Suspension
    web cinch buckle
    Images
    Hello gospidey, I'm a few months on the wrong side of 50, and hadn't done any camping for a couple of years because I dreaded the aches and pains of sleeping on the ground. I even get them every morning after sleeping in my bed and usually spend the first 20 minutes of the day doing some stretches the physical therapist gave me for my back.

I have only slept 3 nights so far in a hammock. Last weekend I did it for night 3. I went to bed at 9 p.m., found it hard to sleep, not because of the comfort factor, but because I was too hot. I took a layer of clothing off and despite still being too warm I eventually went to sleep... and I didn't get up until nearly 8 a.m. the next morning! (My body temp usually cools off later in the night.) I got up and walked around testing my half-century body for aches and pains, asking myself, "where are they?" Surely they would reveal themselves. Nope! Maybe a little soreness in my neck, because my pillow was a little too inflated, something I noticed early in the night but was too lazy to correct. I didn't even have to stretch myself on the flat ground to relax my back like I usually do first thing in the morning. This never happens to me!

Now your mileage might vary... but I have to say give this hammocking thing a try! The type you have looks to be quite heavy but even so, with a good night's sleep you can probably carry a couple of extra pounds.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&amp;DutchGear
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Mass.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Sorry no advice - but a hearty welcome from another Canadian.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WB/Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Winter Palace.
    Insulation
    Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch bkls
    Thanks for the welcome(s) and the assurance that I'm moving in the right direction.
    And thank you very much MAD 777 for the heads up on the Texas group hang at Fairfield Lake State Park. If I can swing it (hammock pun intended) I would like to go and see what would work best if I decide to buy, the timing is perfect in that it's right before Christmas time! <:^D

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Gospidey, I looked at the company's web site, and based on what you said in your post, it looks like you have a Crazy Creek model that uses some sort of shock poles to keep the bug net off of you. From their pictures, it also looks like they use webbing for the suspension. I had never heard of a Crazy Crib, but it's a fairly unique design that might be hard to alter. It's a wicked cool looking hammock, but if their specs are right, it sounds like it is on the heavy side. The Crazy Crib Lex w/tarp comes in at 70 oz., or about 4 1/2 lbs.

http://www.crazycreek.com/products-p...ib-lex-w-tarp/

For comparison, my Hennessy Expedition Asym hammock & tarp weighs in at 2 lbs. 9 oz.

I also have a Byer Moskito Hammock (16 oz.), with a Grand Trunk Funky Forest Tarp (20 oz.). Add in the whoopies and adjustable ridgeline and that system probably weighs a little over 3 lbs. I am also a cheap so-and-so, and the above system cost me about $90 total.

I searched Hammock Forums and the Crazy Crib doesn't seem very popular, so you might have a hard time getting advice from people who have altered it. You might be better off selling such a fine-looking hammock on the Bay of Evil or right here on Hammock Forums, then buying a lighter weight hammock more to your liking. Or you could just keep the hammock in your hammock collection. You can never have enough hammocks!

The Crazy Crib looks like a gathered-end hammock with a channel. If you choose to proceed with modifications, you can most certainly lower the weight of the suspension by going to whoopie slings and tree straps. Making whoopies is fun, and it doesn't involve sewing (well, you might need a few stitches on the fixed loop unless you go with a fixed Brummel).

As for those poles supporting the bug net (and I'll bet they spread the hammock as well), I don't see how you could replace those, especially without sewing. I can't see alterations to those poles working out very well. If you removed the poles and tried to suspend the bug net off a ridgeline, I think it would drape all over your face (which would please the hell out of the mosquitoes).

As for Tyvek, I am also intrigued by its possibilities as a tarp. The stuff is darned near indestructible. I have a 7x7 Tyvek tarp I use as a gear tarp and love it. It keeps everything dry and toasty. I'm trying to get some scraps so I can experiment further. There's lots of good info on the forum about Tyvek.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast