Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    Agreed - but I've seen people leave their silnyl tarps hanging in the backyards for days. Bright and sunny. Definitely not good for the nylon. I don't know the exact number of days the nylon will last, but still not good.
    No doubt. It would be nice to know what the expected number of days life span could be expected before the fabric would be too weakened to trust in a storm. I don't have a clue. 10 days? 100? 300? All I know is each day weakens it. Though I have also read that Sil-nylon resists UV better than some fabrics.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    No doubt. It would be nice to know what the expected number of days life span could be expected before the fabric would be too weakened to trust in a storm. I don't have a clue. 10 days? 100? 300? All I know is each day weakens it. Though I have also read that Sil-nylon resists UV better than some fabrics.
    It would be really nice to have a source for silpoly of the same weight or even lighter. Since polyester is stronger (so I've read) you could could get more UV resistance, and lighter for the same strength. In looking at kite sites, I've seen a coated polyester ripstop with a weight of 0.75 oz/square yard. The only sizes I've seen on those sites though are small rectangular pieces appropriate for making kites. Nothing by the yard. Would be interesting to find a affordable source by the yard if it was also waterproof. But then isn't that something like the silnyl. I've read before that it was originally intended for parachutes. So it seems reasonable that the stuff they use for kites might also be waterproof like the silnyl. I think they used silnyl for kites before they discovered the polyester they use.

Hammock
    DIY with velcro bug net
    Tarp
    DIY Clark
    Insulation
    CSF
    Images

sealers

You can use Dow silicone sealer used for store front glass install to seal or coat nylon. I use a butter tub and put a cup of silicone in it. Then use oderless mineral sprits. Start with a cup of sprits and mix with wooden paint stick until its the consistancy of say surup. You can ad more mineral sprits if you need to thin more. To seam seal use a small brush. To coat the entire surface use a plastic bondo spreader. Work fast from the top down. I coated my fly (Clark XL copy) stretched low to the ground to enable me to reach the entire fly. I did one side at a time overlapping the ridge seam. Hope this helps al you DIYers.
    Chuck...

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Welcome artbango. That will probably work OK but might also add several ounces to your tarp.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Images
    I have used Permatex with good results. It may be a bit thicker than some may want. Personally, I like it and I thought it was easy to apply. I like it better than the mineral spirits method. However, that is just my personal preference.

I believe silicone requires moisture to cure.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Quilt+HG Inc20
    Yes, you are correct. The active curing ingredient uses the humidity in the air to cure the silicone.

Brian

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I just picked up some Silicone Water-Guard spray at Walmart. Anyone have any experience with this sealant?

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    I just picked up some Silicone Water-Guard spray at Walmart. Anyone have any experience with this sealant?
    I seam sealed the JRB Hammock Hut with the spray sealer like you bought. The SWT tarp uses a spray sealer and it works fine.

Some notes on using the spray:

I put the sealer on thick. You will get runs. I wiped the excess sealer off with a microfiber towel. I DID NOT wipe excess sealer off of the seam, just the runs on the side of the tarp.

Unlike diluted silicone I normally use, this sealer actually soaks into the fabric and soaks the thread with sealer.

I applied the sealer on both sides of the seam. While they can says one coat should be enough, I applies 3 coats on the outside of the ridge line seam and 3 coats on inside of the ridge line seam, allowing the sealer to dry 30 minutes between coats. I also seam sealed the edge seams on the JRB HH,; 2 coats on the outside and one coat on the inside. After all that sealing I still have about 1/4 of a can left.

Spray gets weaker as the contents of the can get lower.

I tested the seam in a couple of spots by pouring water over the seam and then using a spray bottle set on a focused stream, and fired it into the seam. No leaks in either situation.

Sealer dries almost invisible.

Spray sealer in not tacky like diluted silicone.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I had sealed the ridgeline seam and the beaks with Silnet, but was unhappy with how it went. It was not as easy as I would have liked, and I ended up with a LOT of silicone on the seams. That dried for over 15 hours.

I then bought the Water Guard and sprayed the seams, saw the runs too. I ended up spraying the entire top surface of the tarp, and then I sat back and worried about what it might end up looking like After about an hour, it looks dry and looks like it did before I sprayed. I'm encouraged by this and your report, and will do another spraying. I also think I'll spray the whole thing, and maybe even the seams from inside (safety glasses and respirator mask). I'm pretty pleased with the ease of the spray, vs. the SilNet little brush method.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I never had any luck with Sil-net and the included brush. It comes out very thick and when it goes on it makes a real mess.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast