Hammock Bliss Double
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Baby Orca IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

Uncompahgre Climb - 9/2-9/5

My boy and I, along with another dad and son duo set out to climb a 14er in southern CO over Labor Day weekend. This was a tightly scheduled trip, with all-day drives sandwiching the actual camping/backpacking/climbing adventure.

We finally settled on Uncompahgre Peak as our destination, as it's a less technical and strenuous climb than many of CO's 14ers, suitable for first-time climbers, as our sons were.

This was my son's and my first real opportunity to put our new hammock setups to the test. Our friends were somewhat skeptical, and offered to supply us with a tent, if needed. But we were good to go.

As is usually the case, the drive helped set the tone for the trip. With three drivers, none of us became worn out from driving. We brought along Jon Krakauer's Into the Wild, on tape, which provided fodder for lots of interesting conversation. The time passed quickly.

We made the lower trailhead at about dusk, and set up camp just off the 4WD road that leads to the upper trail head. As is to be expected with a new setup, it seemed to take forever to get things set up and tweaked in. But once settled in, we enjoyed a campfire prepared, foil-wrapped stew that was mighty tasty.

After a restful night's sleep, with no aches or pains, we woke up early and struck camp to tackle the 2100ft. elevation gain, 4 mi. hike to the upper trailhead. Not yet acclimated to the high elevation, we struggled a bit with lugging our heavy packs up the mountain. My son also experienced some blisters, so he and I were thankful when a couple of ATVers happened by and offered a lift to our destination. The look on our friends' faces was priceless as we passed them in relative comfort!

We found a good campsite just beyond the trailhead, and set up camp. For our second night, my son and I pitched our hammocks from the same trees, sharing a single tarp. Using our treking poles as spreader bars, this turned into a good arrangement. That left the afternoon free to enjoy our immediate surroundings and to mentally prepare for the climb to the peak the next morning. We had a small herd of deer come into our camp, including a couple of 4-point bucks. They proceeded to graze and frolic for quite awhile while we quietly observed.

Lows that night got down into the mid-40s, but we stayed comfortable. My alarm went off at 5:30, and we were on the trail just after 6:00, while it was just getting light enough to follow the trail without a flashlight. The views of Uncompahgre and surrounding peaks as the sun rose were spectacular, well worth the effort. The boys hiked well for their first foray into the upper elevations, though my son reflected that he had no idea how difficult the climb would be (some things you just have to experience for yourself). Now he believes me. We reached my son's goal of hitting the ridge just below the summit at ~13,000 ft., where we turned back and waited for our friends to complete their ascent. They summited and reported to us their experience getting there. Of course, summiting was exhiliarating for them, the views unbelievable.

The hike back to camp went quickly, and it gave us opportunity for a short siesta before packing up and heading down to our car at the lower trailhead. After a full day of hiking, it felt good to get back to the car, take off our hiking boots, and enjoy a large Gatorade that was waiting for us. I don't think I've had a better tasting burger than the one we had later that night as we headed to Lathrop State Park for our last night.

Arriving at Lathrop State Park at midnight, we found little accommodation for hammocks, as the vegetation was mostly scrub, so erected our tarp as a ground shelter. Even though we were on the ground, we had a pretty good night's sleep.

We were on the road by 6:00 that morning, headed back to Dallas. The ride back was just as enjoyable as the ride out, reminiscing about the just completed climb, as well as finishing off Into the Wild, and we arrived home just in time for dinner!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ol' daddy

Hammock
    Walhalla 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    OES MC DLX Sil
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ/ GL Bag
    Glad the boys bagged their first 14er! Having just moved from Colorado Springs, I am jealous you were out there if even for a brief time. Next trip look into the peaks off of the Durango/Silverton train lines, where you actually ride the train to the trailhead! Windom, Sunlight, and Eolus peaks are accessable from one basecamp...you can either ridge-hop over one loooong day, or split them up.

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym Zip, Eno double nest
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    HH, tree huggers
    Very Nice Tr Enjoyed the Pictures Too!

Images
    Enjoyed your TR and picts. Nice use of the treking poles to keep the hammocks separate.

Hammock
    Eno Singlenest & DubbleNest
    Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly
    Insulation
    Foam pad & slp bag
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Images
    Great trip report and awesome pics
    Thanks for sharing
    This is your one stop shop for all Hammock knowledge

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss with camo bug net
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    down, IX, fleece
    Suspension
    dutchclips
    Images
    Wonderful trip report and pic's. It's always nice to see places you may never get to go to but it enjoy it existenially.

• + New Posts