Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Darby View Post
    Smithobx (John) confused the two weights, the PeaPod weighs approx. 38 oz. and the PolarPod comes in at about 48 oz.

Cheers, Dale

OK then, sounds like the PeaPod is pretty much unchanged from Speer's last models ( and mine ). So I guess the experiences I have had ( stated above) with mine should be pretty identical with the new ones, though YMMV. And my experience is pretty much like TTTG ( and Speer ) had rated them: 20F NOMINALLY. Meaning never a problem for me to be warm with pod alone at 20F on the bottom. And at least with the right hammock and some warm clothing that I would have with me any way, no trouble ON TOP in the 30s and OK in high 20s. But not quite as warm ON TOP with some wider or deeper hammocks, more likely to need a light TQ. Add a TQ on top or bottom, and/or a space blanket and spare clothing or even a pad to the bottom under the hammock, then you can go much colder. The only limitation is when you run out of room to add stuff.

Time to remind folks of my friend who has a summer 55F rated down PeaPod which he has used for our last several trips. He has used this repeatedly in the mid 20s-30s, and been toasty warm and comfortable. He usually adds a pad under the hammock, or a space blanket, and a (30f?) TQ and is always very happy with the results.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 09-19-2011 at 08:31.

Images
    Of course, all of this is in answer to your questions based on the fact that you want to take the pod approach. I will always think this is about the most guaranteed/efficient way to be warm in a hammock. Primarily because it is the most guaranteed way to avoid drafts around the head and neck, assuming you close it most of the way or use some simple technique to block cold air running out of however much vent you use- a faux neck collar.

But it is not for every one and not optimum for every non-bridge hammock and not for some hammocks period.

Though more care will be needed to avoid drafts, something like a zero rated JRB MWUQ on a JRB Bridge ( or non-bridge ) hammock, used with a TQ which is wide enough for the user to avoid drafts ( varies with how wide/thick the user is) and used with a good hood, can be a great approach. And feels less "restricted". You do have to learn to keep things tucked when you move, but I found that is a skill I improved on over time.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 09-19-2011 at 15:44.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images

I will order the peapod

Ok you convinced me. I'm going with the peapod, just trying to determine how much overstuffing will help me get to 0*F. I asked Dale if the under stuff could be placed just on the bottom, since at those temps I will always have some sort of top quilt.

Getting excited about the idea of winter camping. Never done that in a hammock before. Sounds like I need to get more clothing too!

~S~

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Ok you convinced me. I'm going with the peapod, just trying to determine how much overstuffing will help me get to 0*F. I asked Dale if the under stuff could be placed just on the bottom, since at those temps I will always have some sort of top quilt.

Getting excited about the idea of winter camping. Never done that in a hammock before. Sounds like I need to get more clothing too!

~S~
    I convinced you? I didn't mean to do that! I mean, I have like my PeaPod experience and all, but I wouldn't try to convince someone over another approach, cause I also love a JRB MW4 on a bridge, and I still don't think a HHSS is all that shabby.

But I do think you will like it, though you won't really have anything else to compare with. And it does have it's pros which are hard to beat, like the equiv of a good mummy bag when it comes to built in head warmth. Assuming it does not bother you to cinch 'er down with just a tiny vent.

And as you are getting it anyway, the versatility is really hard to beat. Here are two other tricks hard to match with most systems:
    1: movable down head to middle to foot. So, If you are already using a good separate thick hood and maybe a leg pad so that you don't need so much loft under your feet, you can push most of the down towards the center, to really max out the loft around your middle. Doing this, I can get way more than the rated loft at particular spots. And wearing booties inside a sleeping bag with a leg pad, I probably don't need much of the pod loft there anyway.
    2: With a narrow Claytor hammock- with which I can lay comfy on my side- (maybe some other hammocks also) I can rotate the pod after I turn so that the vent is right in front of, or a little below, my mouth/nose. I have my head propped on the edge of this hammock, so my condensing breath goes right out to the ground. And several inches of loft will be laying down right on the side of my head/neck. I'm here to tell you this is about as warm as you could wish.

Considering heat rises, there won't be much cold air coming in or going out of the vent. I think you can see why drafts will not be a problem with this technique! And I could of course close it down even more.

But I was really hoping you would get the PolarPod and tell what that thing is like!

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL
    Tarp
    10x12 TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    PolarPod
    Suspension
    TTTG Ring Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Darby View Post
    Smithobx (John) confused the two weights, the PeaPod weighs approx. 38 oz. and the PolarPod comes in at about 48 oz.
    I was the one confused, I had the weight wrong on the website. It is corrected now. I need more coffee...

Cheers, Dale
    Beer won't solve problems, but then again, neither will milk !
    Designer of the Switchback Hammock
    Tree to Tree Trail Gear:http://tttrailgear.com

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have the PolarPod with 6 oz. of overfill.
    Fits like hand in glove with the WB Traveler.
    I use it with a tq or a sleeping bag.

I love the PolarPod.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazeAway View Post
    I have the PolarPod with 6 oz. of overfill.
    Fits like hand in glove with the WB Traveler.
    I use it with a tq or a sleeping bag.

I love the PolarPod.
    What temps do you bring the polar pod down to? 6 oz ov over stuff is lot! If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you and do you feel that you need the polar pod to get on a good diagonal?

What made you get the polar pod vs the peapod?

~S~

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    What temps do you bring the polar pod down to? 6 oz ov over stuff is lot! If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you and do you feel that you need the polar pod to get on a good diagonal?

What made you get the polar pod vs the peapod?

~S~
    I have had it down to -3 C.
    I am 192 cm. tall.
    I can not feel any restriction on how I lay in the hammock when the PolarPod is attached.

As I understand it the PolarPod is designed for lower temps than the PeaPod.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazeAway View Post
    I have had it down to -3 C.
    I am 192 cm. tall.
    I can not feel any restriction on how I lay in the hammock when the PolarPod is attached.

As I understand it the PolarPod is designed for lower temps than the PeaPod.
    So you are pretty tall then, about 6'3" by our old fashioned way of measuring. And you have been to about 26 or 27F, (I think).

I can not imagine being restricted in a Polar Pod, as it is about 1.5 feet wider than a PeaPod, which restricts me only in some positions, but not in normal diagonal. ( I am 6'1")

I would love a PolarPod to play with. Especially if I lived in a colder climate. Of course the weight and bulk at first seems a little excessive. But, if you are comparing it to 2 full length size LONG winter or warmer than 20F quilts( a TQ + UQ), it(48oz) is probably not really all that excessive. Especially considering that is 30 oz of 900fp down! Plus, considering the head protection built in, you probably need to add a thick hood for apples to apples comparison.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Thanks BlazeAway!

Good points BB. I am still leaning towards the peapod because of the weight. I am short 5'5" so dont think i will need the extra room of the polar pod. I asked Dale if I could overstuff the bottom 4 tubes to get the pea pod to lower temps and how much overstuff he thinks I need to get to 0*F.

~S~

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast