My hiking boots died last month after 15 years. I don't even know what brand they were, but they took me through desert, mountains, swamps, rain and snow and I never got a blister, and never got wet feet. They will be missed.

Because my wife is a Macy's employee, I wanted to take advantage of her hefty discounts. Therefore, I had to choose from something sold at Macy's. I chose the Timberland Chocorua hiking boot. My son took a pair of these for a two-week hike in New Mexico and had no complaints. It's not a mid-height (which I like), and they're not lightweight by any means, but for 40% off list ($130), I thought I'd give them a try. It would be nice to think I won't have to buy another pair for 15 years.

They are comfy, but the real test is in the field. What annoys me is how different the sizing is these days. I used to wear a size 11 1/2 shoe, and that was the only size I bought. Nowadays, I wear anywhere between a 10 1/2 and a 13 1/2. What happened to the world? Why must a 5'11" man wear a size 13 shoe? I feel like Shaquille O'Neal.

"Do you have this in a size 13?"

"No sir, freaks like you should shop at the big and tall store. This store is for normal people."