Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hacktorious, I'm sorry about the problem with your MacCat, that's a real anomaly. I think that's the first time I've heard of someone having a problem with one of Brian's tarps, I'm just sorry it had to be you. One thing that has built Brian's reputation is his customer service and willingness to listen to his customers. I'm glad he's going to make this right for you, but I don't think anyone here would expect any less from him. Brian is an excellent young businessman.

Images
    Hey Hacktorius,
    What a bummer! But just more proof that "stuff happens"! My MacCat has been flawless for over one year. I bet you are tired of hearing that! But I bet Brian will at least come through for you big time.

But there was one positive: an inadvertent test of the theory that the SS might do better than some other approaches in wet weather. So, the pad was wet and you were still warm BELOW 40*? Amazing! Yep, the SS interferes with the net and all. I have done various things to help with that, like a grip clip attached to the net and then to another one on the tarp, or a few other tricks. One thing that helped, when it can be done, is to attach the side elastics to a tree rather than the ground. Anyway, I'm glad it kept you warm when soaked- or you would have had to bail in the middle of the night once you started shivering!

What about your top quilt or bag, what was it? Did it remain warm? You have accidentally done some great adverse condition field testing for us!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-13-2008 at 08:04.

Was going to voice my support for Brian & his great support. I just completed a transaction with him, that entailed several emails back & forth. A great guy to deal with!

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    By all means send the tarp back to Brian to check, but be aware that silnyl is only waterproof to a couple-three PSI, and a hard thunderstorm can overwhelm it (it's usually described as "misting," which is what it felt like to me).

If you live in an area, as I do, that's prone to such pounding rainstorms, you might want to spray your silnyl tarp with a can of silicone waterproofing. That seems to "refresh" the waterproofing enough to keep the hard rain out. Once a year treatment seems to be sufficient, and only an ounce or so gets added to the weight of the tarp. I just do it as a matter of course every spring or when I first get a silnyl tarp now. I didn't come up with this idea, Ed Speer did (credit where it's due).

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    Brian listened to my request for a special order tarp, then made it custom for me. It is beatiful in every way. Take this for what its worth, but I also make tarps to supplement my income and to give my bp'ing brothers and sisters a great product. I felt Brian's tarp surpassed my strict standards of both business and product. Another thing, if you use the spray silicone be sure the tarp is spotlessly clean (go over it with a rag soaked in mineral spirits) or silicone will not stick as well.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Scott,

Please check your email. I will of course make this right for you.

I want to assure everyone that this is more-than-likely a one time thing. I check my fabric every 4-5 tarps off the bolt to make sure the coating meets a minimum spec. I am asking Scott to mail it back to me so I can check it out - I will keep people informed so that I can assure you this is not a widespread problem. I just now checked each tarp I have in stock, and none seem to have this problem.

Brian MacMillin
    OES

You cannot be expected to check every piece of material you make a tarp out of. This would not be very practical. Things happen, and we don't live in a perfect world.

I am sure this is just a fluke.

Like I wrote earlier in this thread, I have only heard good things about your products and this is exactly why I purchased one.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    Good point about the tarp being clean before you seal or spray it. Also completely dry -- silicone will not stick to wet materials.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    Hmmm, the MacCat's come already sealed, right? I thought they did.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Quilt+HG Inc20
    Yessir, they do. I seam seal each tarp before they go out.

Brian

I just got my McCat last month. If I remember correctly, it does not come with tie out lines, that is an optional item. I added my own, as I expected to do when I ordered it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast