DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben,12x8.5
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Wopi,Togl,TreHugr

Making 3 UQ/TQ Need links,advice

First does 900 fill have such a significant difference than 800 that its worth shelling out the extra cash. Going to buy 6lbs of down to make three winter under quilts and three winter top quilts full sized my preference. I will design the bag's for a 4+ inch loft to reach into deep temp's. There will be an extra ounce or two but lighter on my wallet. Personal preference I guess anyways. I am looking for the best prices on the market for either 90 or 800 fill down would be absolutely grateful for any links. I have been researching everyday on construction of a awesome quilt. I have experience making quilts and garments and own a good top stitch and serger machine so the difficulty of design is not a factor. I would appreciate your best links on these subjects to add all the numbers and crunch nylon quadrant variables etc. The more information the better will post lots of information and pictures and have more major projects coming. Planning on using down with thru-hiker m-90 for all quilts. Next projects going to be cuben and sil nylon shield tarps.
    Last edited by SamuelJD; 09-20-2011 at 21:25. Reason: Change it up

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That $100 for 800 FP goose down is for a quantity of 1 pound. Which works out to $6.25 per ounce.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    It does boil down to preference and priorities but I can tell the difference between 800 & 900 FP down. There's not a lot of difference, but just enough to tell. For quilts with 4 inches of loft, there will be at least 2 ounces of weight savings per quilt if you use the 900 stuff. However, 900 FP runs about $10 per ounce whereas 800 FP runs $6.50 per ounce.

I have made a few quilts with M90. It feels good next to skin, but it's not usually touching my skin. There is almost no weight savings over 1.1 calendared ripstop which can be bought for 1/3 the price of M90.

If you backpack significant distances and weight & compressibility are your priorities, I would go with the 900 FP down and calendared ripstop. That combination would give you the best bang for the buck.

I'm currently working on a down quilt using D7 (at $28/yd) for the shell and tulle for baffles. Obviously price is not a factor, only weight.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben,12x8.5
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Wopi,Togl,TreHugr
    You make several good pints and actually very glad to hear you say threres not not a signify diference between the m_90 and 1.1 nylon. Mad do you have links for quilt designs? Looking for a design that uses a differential cut, tappered ends, etc... At work so will post later on. Thanks

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuelJD View Post
    You make several good pints and actually very glad to hear you say threres not not a signify diference between the m_90 and 1.1 nylon. Mad do you have links for quilt designs? Looking for a design that uses a differential cut, tappered ends, etc... At work so will post later on. Thanks
    Just FYI, I've bought from Downlite before (before they realized us DIY camping guys were buying up all the 800 and jacked up the price), and their 800 fill is more like other places 900 fill. I regularly pulled out down clusters the size of golf balls!
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7DL Green
    Switchback (w/Netting) 1.9DL Green
    Grizzbridge (aka The Loaner)
    Grand Trunk - Deep Blue
    Trek Light in Olive

Backwoods Daydreamer Winter Tarp - Red
    DIY "Deluxe" in Olive
    Warbonnet Superfly in Olive

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben,12x8.5
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Wopi,Togl,TreHugr
    Has anyone visited the www.sailrite.com site and seen their materials. They have nylon .5oz $11.95, 3/4oz for $11.35, etc resin impregnated with zero porosity. Meaning there are no voids in the material. This material is used typically for sails I am sure it can handle abuse and longevity. Wondering if this is a good choice for tarps but going to continue some more research.

• + New Posts