Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Backpacker Magazine in issue May 2008 on page 15 of the Trail Log (letters to the Editor), an Emailer about why there weren't hammock reviews and stated that he noticed 'tons of people' hammocking. The editor replies ' tons of people' "surely not".

So all of us at Hammock Forums are not tons of people!!
    I think we have enough members to go over the 4,000 lbs to qualify as at least 2 tons of hammocker people.

Why is Backpacker mag not in the real world?
    Surely none of them go on this website.
    What is with them?
    I know most of the trips are out west where there are no trees.
    They even did an issue years ago where none of the photos in the mag had any trees in them.

I would cancel my subscription if my daughter didn't give it to me as a present every year.

Please let backpacker mag know that we do count!
    backpacker magazine sucks. it aint worth wiping my butt with much less reading it lol neo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Homemade Quilts
    Why worry about this? It just leaves more trees for the rest of us. You don't want EVERYONE hanging do you? I don't spread the word unless somebody asks me.

Quote Originally Posted by eyewall View Post
    Why worry about this? It just leaves more trees for the rest of us. You don't want EVERYONE hanging do you? I don't spread the word unless somebody asks me.
    i guess trees are pretty scarce in iowa.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer Cat 8'x10'
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Quilts
    I subscribe to, and enjoy, BP when it hits my mailbox. Do I agree with everything it promotes and states? No. As was said, a good bathroom read. Some of the articles are outstanding. While other should be used as toilet paper. For me it is a nice break to read some more gear garbage like many of the backpacking forums I visit. Every so often they hit on something good. Granted, those times are few and far between. I almost like the contrast between commercial backpacking and our views. Be it UL zealot or a heavy geared hammocker. I just dig to read about gear and the back country.

I love the community here and the DIY attitude. I will have my first hang this weekend. I can't wait.

I will still subscribe and read backpacker. Do I believe they are light years away from us truly hardcore? Yes, although, I still enjoy looking at pics and sub par reviews of gear.
    Last edited by RouX; 04-13-2008 at 20:46.

Images
    My biggest issue with backpacker is that there are no negative reviews. If you consider the volume of gear they review for their gear review issues, you think there would be a good precentage that wouldn't work.

I remember reading somewhere that the mag used to be a great resource for DIY projects back in the day. I would like to read some of those.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY zHammock / WB BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Spinntex
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts, GG Pad
    I like backpacker for the photos. I know this sounds childish (ohh all the pretty colors) but from a photographic standpoint, I like the work of their photographers, and as an admited backpacking and photgrpahy adict, I enjoy the pictures. Their ARE YOU ALL HAPPY NOW!!!! OOOOHHHH Pretty Pictures. =) Anyway, sometimes an article peaks my intrest, and the occasional Ultra Light review/article excites my wallet (but not as mush as NEW NIKON D300 reviewd or Rumors of Canon to Replace the aging EOS 5D(they probably wont anytime soon ). On the other hand when in this years gear review they sing the praises of Ospreys new pack that weights 5-7 lbs empty, I scoft at the fact that as everyone knows, Backpacker hasn't accepted UL as its personal savior (no flaming please, just a joke =).
    Last edited by Bulldog; 04-13-2008 at 21:19.
    NREMT-B, WEMT
    CPR goes up and down, up and down......because my patient's dead.
    Hanger Fromally Known as Ghost93.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    My biggest issue with backpacker is that there are no negative reviews.
    That's my beef also, but I guess that's what happens when you have to rely on ads to pay the bills. They don't even give enough coverage of the lightweight crowd (that's why I call it BackBreaker Magazine) much less the hammockers. Who knows, maybe this is a step in the right direction.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Backpacker Magazine in issue May 2008 on page 15 of the Trail Log (letters to the Editor), an Emailer about why there weren't hammock reviews and stated that he noticed 'tons of people' hammocking. The editor replies ' tons of people' "surely not".

So all of us at Hammock Forums are not tons of people!!
    I think we have enough members to go over the 4,000 lbs to qualify as at least 2 tons of hammocker people.

Surely none of them go on this website.
    What is with them?
    I know most of the trips are out west where there are no trees.
    They even did an issue years ago where none of the photos in the mag had any trees in them.

I would cancel my subscription if my daughter didn't give it to me as a present every year.

Please let backpacker mag know that we do count!
    soldier of fortune is a much better magazine neo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    WhoopieSling/Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    soldier of fortune is a much better magazine neo
    Speaking of magazines not in the real world........

I rate Backpacker in the top two of backpacking print magazines.

They contacted me and asked me to fill out periodic marketing surveys. The surveys mostly consist of questions asking about article topics. My 'concern' is that they always have room for suggestions and I always suggest articles about 'cottage industry' businesses and products and often, ultralight backpacking. To date, there's not been much a response to those suggestions...

FB