3 gathered ends
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Thumbs down Backpacker Magazine Insults Hammockers!

Backpacker Magazine in issue May 2008 on page 15 of the Trail Log (letters to the Editor), an Emailer about why there weren't hammock reviews and stated that he noticed 'tons of people' hammocking. The editor replies ' tons of people' "surely not".

So all of us at Hammock Forums are not tons of people!!
    I think we have enough members to go over the 4,000 lbs to qualify as at least 2 tons of hammocker people.

Why is Backpacker mag not in the real world?
    Surely none of them go on this website.
    What is with them?
    I know most of the trips are out west where there are no trees.
    They even did an issue years ago where none of the photos in the mag had any trees in them.

I would cancel my subscription if my daughter didn't give it to me as a present every year.

Please let backpacker mag know that we do count!
    Last edited by Crash; 04-13-2008 at 09:50.
    "Courage Grows Strong at a Wound" - Stewart Clan Motto

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I am almost 1/10 of a tom myself. BP mag is lame. Their gear reviews aren't real reviews at all. We need a hammocker magazine.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Backpacker hasn't been in the real world for some time. Their magazine consists of advertisements for heavy and/or over hyped gear that fails to deliver, and reviews of trips that most of us can only hope to one day take......maybe. I let my subscription run out ages ago. It's a waste of the paper it's printed on and my time if I choose to read it. What a crock.

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Sounds like marketing for their major advertisers. Since there no major sponsors in hammocking and we're not mainstream still we just get snubbed (just like UL backpacking and DIY). I did see one ad for a hammock. I believe it was a Clark but don't remember for sure.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    Don't complain, folks...that just leaves more trees for us! I've been on backpacking trips where there were 5 of us hangers and a couple of us used the same tree...

I suspect Backpacker, if I read their response correctly in the "gear gab" section, will be reporting on hammocks in their June issue...

Backpacker is directed at the week-end warrior who does not worry too much about the weight of his pack as long as he eats well and is warm and comfortable. Week-end warriors often cook "real" food in pots and pans although the magazine has written articles, in particular one featuring Sarbar's zip-lock bag cooking, encouraging people to save weight and try other methods.

On the whole the magazine does not recommend gear that has to be babied or requires special attention (like siltarps, for example)...what they recommend will last for years and is usually well constructed...I don't think I own, or will ever own, any pack they feature...

I've been reading Backpacker for years...some articles I find hilarious, some interesting, some baffling and some boring...whatever, it's a good bathroom read....

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mataharihiker View Post
    .......whatever, it's a good bathroom read....
    For me to poop on!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    Crash, would you mind posting the whole comment and reply? I would like to see what else they had to say about hammocking...

Does anyone know of a company that could be considered a large gear company that is promoting hammocking? I cannot think of one...might do a quick look after I post this, but I think already know the answer!

I remember in The Complete Walker one of the founders major comanies admitted that they were all just competing in image primarily. Scary! I am much more interested personally in companies and people who want to talk open mindedly about a very comfortable way to camp in many situations. My gear needs are primarily utilitarian. I think it has always been this way. Do you think they would have left the pelt of an animal because it wasn't the fashonable color for that year? No! That thing would quickly become a comfy bikini breif or cape, or something...

Anyway, here are some reasons I feel they are not interested in promoting hammocking:

1. The cottage hammock companies are developing products that they cannot compete with. (Price, quality, and weight included) I had a conversation with a cottage gear maker that told me this.

2. I look at it this way, the hammock replaces the tent floor as it is what you are now laying on. So, that means you will be using a tarp as the cover. They all focus on tents.

3. They don't need to develop this because they have the market on the cool people image totally cornered with magazines and gearshops only promoting products from the major companies. If they don't talk about it, it doesn't exsist...until TONS of us are out there showing off!

4. It is so DIY friendly! Anyone can make a hammock. It the perfect first project, and you will always be coming back for more! How are they going to sell gear to a gear maker?

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    here is the whole comment as it is in the magazine.
    " "Tons of people"? Surely not, Marc, but we've been testing some interesting new designs for the past eight months. See our picks in the June issue."
    I had a dicussion with the associate editor Shannon Davis a few months ago about this issue (lack of hammock reviews) and he told be I should be happy with the June issue of the mag. Her is a copy of the correspondence form start to finish with him.
    http://us.f566.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Sho...ad=b&box=chris. the the first email I sent him is at the very bottom of the page and the correspondence goes up from there.
    he was very understanding of the growing number of people using hammocks and I believe he did visit the site after my recommendation.
    So I don't believe they are insulting our community they just are well aware of the growing amount of us hammockers. Like Hooch and some others said they mainly know about the ground dwellers( whether it is in a tent or or just under a tarp.) Give them time and they will realize that we are growing group of HAPPY campers and Backpackers.
    Chris

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rigidpsycho View Post
    here is the whole comment as it is in the magazine.
    " "Tons of people"? Surely not, Marc, but we've been testing some interesting new designs for the past eight months. See our picks in the June issue."
    I had a dicussion with the associate editor Shannon Davis a few months ago about this issue (lack of hammock reviews) and he told be I should be happy with the June issue of the mag. Her is a copy of the correspondence form start to finish with him.
    http://us.f566.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Sho...ad=b&box=chris
    he was very understanding of the growing number of people using hammocks and I believe he did visit the site after my recommendation.
    So I don't believe they are insulting our community they just are well aware of the growing amount of us hammockers. Like Hooch and some others said they mainly know about the ground dwellers( whether it is in a tent or or just under a tarp.) Give them time and they will realize that we are growing group of HAPPY campers and Backpackers.
    Hammock = GOOD, Tent = BAD.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I quit my subscription as well some time back. It just got to ..."yuppie-ish" for me. Sorry, that sounds mean but it is what I felt. No offense to any yuppies reading this....
    I may buy it if I am in an airport and need a read for the flight but it just does not speak to me anymore.
    These days I really prefer to support the small business as service is personable and real. I do like Backpacking Lights magazine as the subject matter is more to my taste if not a wee bit extreme to the "average" backpacker.
    Either way, it is good to know and feel that we have a strong community of special interest campers who are breaking ground while off of the ground.....
    Sleeping the same way every night in the woods is the ultimate! No different ground situation every night, a slope here, wet mud there, rocks, roots etc. The quest for the flat soft spot. Now find 2 trees and ahhhhhhh.
    The fact that we on this site spend so much time and love on the perfect nights sleep in the piney woods is something that I cherish. Gotta love the passion.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast