Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod

Claytor No Net...First Time Out...

Had a great trip...it rained on us Friday night and I was a little concerned with the review I had read earlier on the "Wicking" action of the Claytor straps...well...it held true...I was in my DIY under my JRB 11X10 while a buddy was in the Claytor under a 10X8 Blue woven Poly tarp...the tarp had enough coverage...but the straps wicked water and eventually got to the ends of the hammock. The hammock was wet down about 10 or so inches on each end...my buddy slept dry and did not ever know the hammock was getting wet until I showed him when we were packing up. I'll be changing the straps out and applying a ring buckle system to the claytor before it goes back out.
    Alex Williams
    Acts 10:13 "Arise Peter, Kill and Eat."
    Job 14:15 "Call upon Me and I shall answer you."
    Williams Custom Calls

Images
    Well, now I'm confused. You say there was enough coverage for the Claytor no net with a 10 foot rectangular tarp? Neo feels he does not have enough coverage with the 11 foot JRB.

How long was the DIY hammock you had under the JRB tarp?

Did his ( your ) Claytor have that skinny webbing that looks like it is maybe 1/4" nylon ? I wonder how strong that is? Any way, if it wicks like that it has to go.

I have used Claytors webbing and recommended knots with mine. A bowline to provide a loop. So the webbing goes around the tree and back thru the bowline loop, then tied truckers hitch style followed with a half hitch. It works great, but sometimes the webbing looks like it has been burned or melted after use. I wonder how long it will last? I could put a biner in there, but extra weight. Also, I have some extra 1" webbing with loops. I wonder if I could just run through that loop safely, or do I need a biner thru that loop, to avoid the "burn" marks? I don't care about those burn marks unless it weakens the webbing. OTOH, the biner might serve as a water blocker.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-13-2008 at 20:50.

Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod
    I will be swapping the stock webbing out for a ring buckle system this comming week sometime...I'll post photos when I am finished. I have a good bit of sag in my hammocks...I have a structural ridgeline on my DIY and had one on the Claytor in order to have it hang the same as my DIY...the ridgeline is only 8' long...thus the ease of coverage from a 10' tarp.

Here you can see the Claytor set up and the black ridgeline...that's me sittin and eating...lol..
    Here's a side view of the JRB with my DIY under..I had 12" or so of tarp coverage on each end...maybe a little more...

The biner will serve as a drip point...my ring buckles did the same for me on the DIY...

but the stock straps on the Claytor acted like a sponge...the ends of the hammock were wet a good 8" down...but because of the sag in the hammock my buddy stayed dry.
    Alex Williams
    Acts 10:13 "Arise Peter, Kill and Eat."
    Job 14:15 "Call upon Me and I shall answer you."
    Williams Custom Calls

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    Maybe Neo, who is still using the stock Claytor straps which absorb water like a sponge without getting his hammock wet, is having to cover from tree-to-tree with enough left over to drape over the straps where they go around the trees?
    Last edited by Hector; 04-14-2008 at 09:19.

• + New Posts