Images

Has anybody ever used this?

The Warm Window System

The Warm Window fabric consists of four layers of different fabric quilted together in 4"-wide lengthwise channels designed to reduce the flow of energy through your window glass. The layers are:
    Lining with fabric protector High density needled holo fibers Reflective polyethylene moisture vapor barrier
    Metalized poly film with air-trapping fibers
    You will cover the side of your Warm Window shade that faces the room with a decorative fabric of your choice. Choose a cover fabric that is tightly woven, of light to medium weight, and made of cotton or a cotton/polyester blend. Fabrics with fabric protector are an excellent choice for window coverings. Avoid highly textured or pile fabrics and loosely woven or stretch fabrics. You should also avoid fabrics with horizontal stripes as they may interfere visually with the folds in the shade.

Got the Bridge cut out and saw this at Jo-anns anybody ever use it?
    The system is complete with a magnetic seal achieved from sewing magnetic strips into the seams of the shade and affixing magnetic tape to the window frame or wall.

How does the system work?
    Warm Window insulated shades are carefully engineered to combat all four major causes of heat loss.

Conduction is reduced by trapped air spaces between the fibers and layers of in
    The Warm Window System

The Warm Window fabric consists of four layers of different fabric quilted together in 4"-wide lengthwise channels designed to reduce the flow of energy through your window glass. The layers are:
    Lining with fabric protector High density needled holo fibers Reflective polyethylene moisture vapor barrier
    Metalized poly film with air-trapping fibers
    You will cover the side of your Warm Window shade that faces the room with a decorative fabric of your choice. Choose a cover fabric that is tightly woven, of light to medium weight, and made of cotton or a cotton/polyester blend. Fabrics with fabric protector are an excellent choice for window coverings. Avoid highly textured or pile fabrics and loosely woven or stretch fabrics. You should also avoid fabrics with horizontal stripes as they may interfere visually with the folds in the shade.

The system is complete with a magnetic seal achieved from sewing magnetic strips into the seams of the shade and affixing magnetic tape to the window frame or wall.

How does the system work?
    Warm Window insulated shades are carefully engineered to combat all four major causes of heat loss.

Conduction is reduced by trapped air spaces between the fibers and layers of insulated fabric. Infiltration is reduced by the impervious polyethylene and tight magnetic edge seal. Convection is reduced by the magnetic edge seal.
    Radiation is reduced by the reflective metalized poly film which reflects radiant heat back into your home and also reflects away solar gain in summer.
    What is R-Value?
    The effectiveness of any material in preventing energy from flowing through it is defined in terms of R-value. The higher the R-value of a given material, the greater its insulating capacity. This chart illustrates some R-value comparisons.

sulated fabric. Infiltration is reduced by the impervious polyethylene and tight magnetic edge seal. Convection is reduced by the magnetic edge seal.
    Radiation is reduced by the reflective metalized poly film which reflects radiant heat back into your home and also reflects away solar gain in summer.
    What is R-Value?
    The effectiveness of any material in preventing energy from flowing through it is defined in terms of R-value. The higher the R-value of a given material, the greater its insulating capacity. This chart illustrates some R-value comparisons.

Started working on my bridge today have the body cut out of the supplex and went to jo-anns to get ripnylon for the wind guards and came across this fabric in the back of store. Since I am making double thought maybe I could slip it in pocket. Has anybody here ever tried it? I searched it in forums but did'nt see it here. It is called Warm Windows Shade Systems it is four layers with a quilted outer layer. My Ipad would not paste it all.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I've seen it mentioned from time to time, but to the best of my knowledge, no one is currently using it. That vapor barrier could be problematic for most people, most of the time.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    As I recall, somebody was fiddling with it but decided (like OG said) that the vapor barrier was an issue, and it was comparatively heavy...

Most insulation is compressed when thrown in the DL, where pads retain their loft... Something like this would be better hung under the hammock...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Images
    I wonder what the issue with Vapor Barrior was ? It weighs 1.2 lbs and has a R value of almost 8 and I thought a vapor barrior in the Winter would be a good thing. There is a article in this forum by dejoha explaining this.

Images
    Yes I plan on putting it in the under pocket of my hammock

Images
    I am working on my hammock now it is looking awesome.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    I would think the vapor layer below you would be fine, especially in the deepest cold of winter. The majority of the water vapor you will be giving off will be rising from you body anyway, and the largest part of that will be from your breath.

I do agree that it will be more effective hung below the hammock than between layers.
    Last edited by AaronAlso; 09-17-2011 at 06:24. Reason: zombie posting
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Images
    Some thoughts on using this.

Windows are themselves cold R values of 1 to 3 depending on things like triple glazing and argon fill.

Closed cell foam insulation is R 4.5 per inch for regular stryofoam up to about R7.5 per inch for Urethane foam.

Down can be as high as R8 per inch for 800-900 fill down. Most is lower than this, but its also dependent on fabric, air transmission etc...

The only way this material you are looking at could be R8 is that it's accounting for an "equivalent" due to the radiant barrier. I suspect it won't be nearly as warm as R8 seems to indicate because its not "real" insulation in some sense. But ymmv.
    So many projects, So little time....

• + New Posts