HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images

I have done it!

Ok,

So I wish I could call this my first ever DIY project. However, I've done many a project on my own instead of buying them. This just happens to be the first time I've used a sewing machine in about 18 years.

Here is the photo album Sorry for the poor focus, it's a 3MP phone camera.

The Story:

I purchased a Grand Trunk Silk Sleep Sack from the REI outlet with the intention of using it as a TQ liner or warm weather TQ. (I'm a hot sleeper) When it comes only the bottom half of the sack is sewn together, not exactly what I wanted. So, I headed over to my Grandmother"s house and asked her to sew a ~3' straight line. She replied:
    Your arms aren't broke, you can do it yourself.
    After some discussion she gave me a quick lesson on her Husqvarna Rose and set me loose. Apparently silk isn't the easiest material to stitch. I did have a few hang-ups along the way, but overall it was pretty painless.

I'm probably gonna have to open the seam on the opposite side about halfway. The foot box is just too deep to be functional in a hammock. I'll get around to that another day. This was a great experience for someone who has alot of DIY projects in mind and very little experience one a thread injector. I'll certainly be doing it again.
    Last edited by AaronAlso; 09-16-2011 at 16:18. Reason: Updated URL
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Images
    Great job Aaron! Those Husqvarnas are excellent thread injectors. I have been working all day on my GrizzBridge and of course had to go to Jo-anns for this and that. Love your stuff sack too, looks like you did a great job reinforcing your seams. Let me know how it hangs.

Images
    P.s I'm glad your grandma made you do it yourself and I bet you are too!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaJ5227 View Post
    P.s I'm glad your grandma made you do it yourself and I bet you are too!
    Yes, I am!

I've been meaning to do alot of things with the gear I've got; just little customizations here and there. I keep putting it off and thinking I'll get around too it. I guess life really is what's happening while we are making other plans.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Images

Love that patch

That logo patch is awesome just went into the store they had a different one I bought two but they were not like yours where did you get it?

Images
    I know what you mean about procrastination it will drag you down. I always look at stuff and say I can make that. This week I made a mexican solar shower out of a detergent barrel from a car wash. I just came back from a trip in N.C where there were no showers at the parks had to pay or sneak down to river. So sometimes circumstances make you do things you would not normally do otherwise.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    We got cha now!
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Hey! That looks like a quilt to me!
    Great job!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

MY sewing room at our house

Well I have the sewing room and the wife has the office now. You are going to catch the fever so soon.... have fun with the projects.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaJ5227 View Post
    That logo patch is awesome just went into the store they had a different one I bought two but they were not like yours where did you get it?
    That is the Grand Trunk Logo, that little stuff sack it sewn onto the sleep sack by the manufacturer. Hard to believe but that whole thing fits it there quite easily.

Quote Originally Posted by olddog
    We got cha now!
    Yeah, I know and the girlfriend hates it; used to be my computer now it's hammocks. Soon it will be the sewing machine.

Lets see...

hammock for the 9 year old
    add a layer of Primaloft to my IX UQ
    tarp tie-outs w/ linelocs
    TED bug net

...just to name a few off the top of my head. I have a unique hammock design I want to eventually try once I'm more comfortable with the thread injector.

• + New Posts