DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Time trials for setting up

Not that I am in that great of a hurry, but today I spent some time in the forest preserves setting up the tarp and hammock. The last time I went camping I wasn't prepared and it took forever to set up. This time I put cords on my tarp before going out and I also used buckles for the first time. I set up and re-packed three times doing it in such a way as if it was raining. My set up time was 16:51 minutes and packing took 11:30 minutes. Packing up also includes rolling straps and neatly rapping up tarp cords. I am using a 8x10 tarp with ten tie-outs.
    How long does it take everyone else?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oms View Post
    Not that I am in that great of a hurry, but today I spent some time in the forest preserves setting up the tarp and hammock. The last time I went camping I wasn't prepared and it took forever to set up. This time I put cords on my tarp before going out and I also used buckles for the first time. I set up and re-packed three times doing it in such a way as if it was raining. My set up time was 16:51 minutes and packing took 11:30 minutes. Packing up also includes rolling straps and neatly rapping up tarp cords. I am using a 8x10 tarp with ten tie-outs.
    How long does it take everyone else?
    Mac Cat type tarp (sort of 13' x 11") 4 tie outs on the ground, 2 for the ridgeline.
    Spear type hammock with spectra cord ridgeline to ring buckles & nylon tree huggers. My Underquilt is pre attached. Everything hammock in a stuff sack (Black Bishop's Idea).
    Tarp, in no particular hurry: 5 min. Hammock if I take my time: 2 min. I usually am in NO hurry to set up, so I have taken as long as 15 to 20 minutes,,,, or more.

If I hurry "Like the devil is after my soul" the whole thing goes up in about 4.5 min. I don't save alot of time if in a hurry cause if it is raining or preparing to rain, I set my tarp up first, this adds about a minute to my hammock setting up time as the tarp sort of gets in the way. BUT, I can set up my hammock mostly staying dry under the tarp, & more importatly, my bed (Hammock) stays dry. WooHoo!

Bear in mind that since getting off the ground about a year & 1/2 ago, I have likely set up & taken down my camp 200 times, or more. I can literally do it with my eyes closed, from start to finish, including getting everything needed out of the pack & everything in or on the hammock.

For me at least, it is mostly muscle memory. I don't have to think about it, I just do it. I do it the same way every time.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    DIY parallelogram/speer
    Tarp
    guidegear camo 12'
    Insulation
    garlington style
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    I think you'll find most people falling around or under the 5 min. mark depending on the weather forecast...

Now we're all going to go home and time ourselves
    "nickels and dimes, yours and mine, did you cash in on your dreams? You don't dream for me no" Third Eye Blind

Images
    I am sitting around 1hr from pack down to sleeping and 1hr from waking up until hiking, but that includes dinner and breakfest.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

• + New Posts