HH Backpacker, WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Wish List: Cuben
    Insulation
    0 degree incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Custom Length on UQ

If I wanted to customize a full length UQ and I'm 5'5" tall how long would I need it. I do not want to mess with a ground mat inside and I am buying this UQ so I do not have to worry about being cold inside my hammock this winter. I am not sure I need 72 inches and was thinking I could cut some weight and bulk by getting a custom length. I am wanting to buy the winter incubator from HG. Thank you!

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If it was me for a winter quilt I would not be too concerned about the weight increase for 7 additional inches of downy goodness. If you were talking a partial length summer quilt then yea get a custom length. Just my opinion.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Well it depends on how much of a gram weenie you are or are not and how much coverage you want form top to bottom. For a gram weenie 7 inches makes a big difference in weight when trying to cut out every gram they can. Every gram turns into an ounce. So if your looking to get a custom length UQ to save on weight and bulk IMHO Hammock Gear is certainly the way to go. And as for how long it should be, I would ask my self how much xtra room I want above my head and below the feet. Do you want it from the top of you head or do you want to start it where your shoulders are? So i would lay down on the floor and have some one measure me and send in those measurements to Adam and I'm sure he'll be able to whip ya something right up. I would also suggest talking with Adam and getting his opinion as well. He has done several custom jobs for me and each time he has taken the time to discuss every aspect of the project with me insuring I would get exactly what I am looking for.
    LRR
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by abharris View Post
    If I wanted to customize a full length UQ and I'm 5'5" tall how long would I need it. I do not want to mess with a ground mat inside and I am buying this UQ so I do not have to worry about being cold inside my hammock this winter. I am not sure I need 72 inches and was thinking I could cut some weight and bulk by getting a custom length. I am wanting to buy the winter incubator from HG. Thank you!
    In reality one only needs an underquilt to cover from the shoulders down. If you are using a gathered end hammock and laying on a sufficient diagonal, you maybe able to get away with a winter phoenix (3/4 length 52" long) at your height.

I have a full length LeighLo underquilt (72" version) and it is a great piece of kit. I have read a number of people who have 60" long versions of their underquilts and are quite happy with them. I would contact Leighlo and inquire about a 60" winter underquilt.

Cheers

Brian

• + New Posts