Tarp
    Zpacks cuben fiber
    Insulation
    cottage down
    Suspension
    whoopie, Flyz, CRL

Smile positivity

Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    We took the Fischer Spring Run Trail down to Red Creek. The stream crossing was easy wading and surprisingly warm. Many thanks to all the advance info from Vdeal, Countryroads, Crackedup, HappyCamper, USMCStang, and others. We trekked up Red Creek in time to meet JD at the Right Fork crossing on the Blackbird Knob Trail. Flexibility was an asset on this trip, and this was made possible by the good nature and considerable experience of all the participants. We elected to do our planned northern loop in reverse so we’d have better weather on the Rocky Ridge Trail on Friday, and this worked out well. Thursday we met some hikers who suggested that we use the full length of Raven Ridge instead connecting to the upper end of it via Dobbin Grade and Beaver View trails. That saved us some mud-slogging. Crossing Red Creek at the Beaver Dam on the Upper Red Creek Trail was interesting. Bonaparte swam, and I almost did, but Knotty pulled me out. We missed the campsite off Raven Ridge Trail that I thought I’d seen several years ago, so we had to spread out and find a sheltered spot near the junction with the Rocky Ridge Trail. This is where the positive attitude of the group really paid off. I would hike with these people anytime. Group decision-making was worthy of HammockForums, and nobody complained about the less-than-wonderful water source. Even Bonaparte didn’t grumble. Friday on Rocky Ridge Trail and Harman Trail was great. ‘Nuff said. The planned campsite for Saturday night – the Forks area we had passed through on Wednesday – was skipped, as we decided to stay two nights at the Left Fork campsite, because the Forks was crowded on Wednesday, and we expected it to be very crowded on Saturday. As it turned out, it wasn’t, but we still liked the ability to camp in one place for two nights and do day hikes on Saturday. That seems a good plan for future Dolly Sods hangs, because the area lends itself to loops starting near Blackbird Knob. Although our numbers had swelled to 15, we split up for Saturday’s activities and thus never had a group of more than ten people on a trail at once. The Left Fork campsite is really a string of campsites that allowed us to spread out, so it could be argued that we were in compliance with the Wilderness Area restriction to groups of ten or fewer the entire time. This wasn’t something that we talked about doing, but it’s nice that it worked out that way. Sunday we hiked out on the Blackbird Knob Trail, again in several separate groups. To give you an idea of how gracious and congenial this group was, they all thought Bonaparte’s loud snoring was charming and restful to listen to (while it kept them awake).
    I have been re-experiencing this fine trip in the beautiful photos and videos that have been posted. Thanks to all. HappyCamper, we look forward to seeing you on the next one. You were missed.
    David, what a terrific report. the feelings are mutual. camping the last two nights at Left Fork was relaxing, agreed on following the plan again. i can't say enough good things about this trip. positive and self-reliant individuals. memories of a lifetime. thank you to everyone for your wonderful photos and videos. here is my link for a ridiculous amount of pictures:
    http://s489.photobucket.com/albums/r...-%2018%202011/
    who learns will love and not destroy
    the creature's life, the flower's joy

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Donna, thanks for your thoughts and photos. I was able to find pics of the pine plantation on the Big Stonecoal Trail (once I figured out that your camera's "day" starts at noon ). That does look like a possible Thursday campsite for next year, but it's way too early to start thinking about that, or is it? One idea I'd like to toss out there is doing a Dolly Sods Hang/Hike at a different season of the year. We've seen it in September twice now.

Images
    Donna, thanks for your thoughts and photos. I was able to find pics of the pine plantation on the Big Stonecoal Trail (once I figured out that your camera's "day" starts at noon ). That does look like a possible Thursday campsite for next year, but it's way too early to start thinking about that, or is it? One idea I'd like to toss out there is doing a Dolly Sods Hang/Hike at a different season of the year. We've seen it in September twice now.
    I'm only 1 1/2 hours from DS, and ready to go back anytime now!!

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by maztrain View Post
    Here's a link to the video I made of our trip......thanks again everybody!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qgkvZW_qQQ

I like the new name "BearChaser" and "Fire-Fly" likes her name as well.....also really diggin the new profile pic "WV"....
    That's is one well done video. Watching it made me happy. Very happy. Like I was at DS again. Thanks for producing it.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I try to get down there at least 3 or 4 times a year, so I'm always up for another group hang. Unfortunately, winter wouldn't be the best time, since the roads are closed to the trailheads. I've been down there as late as mid April, and even though FS75 was open, it was impassable to anything but a true SUV (there are usually spruce blowdowns all over the road)

Maybe we set up a spring and a fall hang? We'll avoid the worst of the black flies, and the weather will be cooler.
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

Hammock
    Blue Bean by Shug,Clark Tropical
    Tarp
    Shug Over,WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest&Burrow
    Suspension
    Once
    OK,I'll go last.Great hang,met alot of new folks I hope to see again.Great photos & vids from you guys.I joined up in camp Fri. around 5 I think.Had parked behind the cabin in Laneville,started up the Red Creek Trail,waded the creek to Little Stonecoal,that was a pretty good little climb.That met the Dunkenbarger Trail which intersected Big Stonecoal.Went pretty much North before vearing East on Blackbird Knob Trail into camp.It was a total of about 7.5mi.Encountered the total portrait of DollySods except for any large views.There was no shortage of water anywhere.On Sat.I hooked up with Maztrain&Firefly and headed North to the big rocks and the even bigger views of the Rocky Ridge Trail.Was a good time.Sun. I hiked out on the Red Creek Trail 6.4mi.Checked out all the trailheads to Roaring Plains then headed down the Rohrbaugh( Dave,I was winging it the last time I spelled it) to the first clearing I came to,probably a mile(had good water)and kicked back for the evinging.Great star show.Look forward to getting there again.
    "I like grits,because they have no bones" Chet Atkins

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567