Thread: First attempt

First attempt

Made my first hammock this weekend (actually two) used a piece of 120"x62" Rip stop that I picked up at Jo-Anne Fabrics with a 40% off coupon so it was $4.19 a yard, did the best rolled hem I could and then proceeded to gather the edges by folding towards the center about 6 or 7 times, took a two foot piece of poly and did fisherman's knot to make a loop and then wrapped it around the ends. I need to get some webbing and probably some rings so I can try it out. My oldest and I held my youngest off the ground so he could try it. seems to be a little on the large size but so far it weighs in at 11.5 oz and compacts small enough to fit into the cargo pocket of my pants. this will beat the doodee out of my 14lb 4 season tent for back packing. (no pictures yet)

any suggestions based on what I described?

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    14 lb tent Yikes!

You will need a tarp for weather protection and you may pick up one of the cheap, blue CCF pads at WalMart in the camping dept. It's the most inexpensive route to get a bit of bottom insulation.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Tell me about it. The tent was from back in his cub scout days when I had to pack it in and he stayed in the tent with me. it kept us warm and dry however so I can't complain too much. I have a Thermarest Pro lite 4 full length but I was thinking about hitting the local car upholstery shop for some landeau top foam came in a 60" wide roll and was about 3/8" thick and as cheap if not cheaper than the blue foam pads. for the top I am hoping to get some silnylon to make a tarp, I figure 9x9 should be big enough.

Is the "landau top foam" open cell or closed? open cell is softer, but acts just like a sponge in the presence of water- closed cell resists water incursions sooo much better.
    just my .02 lira; Betsy

Closed cell, it is very light weight considering how dense it is.

• + New Posts