Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 123
  1. #41
    lilricky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch's Speed hook
    Posts
    952
    Images
    21
    No problem Rlc! Although I don't know about the professional part! Oh, Samsara, Outintheboonies.com has a pretty good GPS track of your trail here: http://www.outintheboonies.com/Arbuckle_Tract/ Although it needs the waypoints to be commented. Might be a good start to your GPS track.
    Last edited by lilricky; 09-30-2011 at 07:28.
    Maintainer of the Unofficial Trail GPS Map Page(Updated 3-9-15) Now updated with Florida Trail, Lone Star Hiking Trail, Arizona Trail, and the Appalachian Trail.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Rlc5925 View Post
    Would anyone be willing to help out an experienced camper/hiker hang a hammock for the first time on this trip. I really would like professional supervision the first time I set up.
    Not sure I understand. Why would you wait until the day you go out camping to test hang your gear?

    Get outside somewhere, anywhere and practice. Even a simple area with a few trees for an hour or so of plinking around with your gear. Maybe your backyard, or nearby woods. Get out there and take a short nap in your hammock.

    Bring some extra line just in case to experiment. Look at other links here on the forum. You'll see how it works very quickly. And practice makes for a more enjoyable hang & comfort level.

  3. #43
    MAD777's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY down 3/4 UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Dutch
    Posts
    10,515
    Images
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Rlc5925 View Post
    Would anyone be willing to help out an experienced camper/hiker hang a hammock for the first time on this trip. I really would like professional supervision the first time I set up.
    We will be glad to help out! Like Islander said, an afternoon in the backyard or nearby park is a great place to tweek gear (and get a nap).

    I'm planning on spending Saturday morning in a County Park that's about 5 minutes from my house. I call it my hammock testing grounds!

    I have two trees in my yard. Unfortunately, one is in the front and the other in the backyard. I don't have enough Amsteel to go around the house
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

  4. #44
    olddog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, Fl
    Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Posts
    4,174
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Rlc5925 View Post
    Would anyone be willing to help out an experienced camper/hiker hang a hammock for the first time on this trip. I really would like professional supervision the first time I set up.
    Pm'ed my Phone #.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

  5. #45
    Senior Member samsara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Central FL
    Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Posts
    1,023
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by islander View Post
    Not sure I understand. Why would you wait until the day you go out camping to test hang your gear?

    Get outside somewhere, anywhere and practice. Even a simple area with a few trees for an hour or so of plinking around with your gear. Maybe your backyard, or nearby woods. Get out there and take a short nap in your hammock.

    Bring some extra line just in case to experiment. Look at other links here on the forum. You'll see how it works very quickly. And practice makes for a more enjoyable hang & comfort level.
    I'm doing what Islander said up there ^^^

    You can learn everything there ever was to know about hanging your hammock by watching this series of videos. This is the first one but watch them all
    http://youtu.be/1f2Xts3Spsc

    Also watch the intro videos by Shug
    http://youtu.be/d7NZVqpBUV0

    And see you soon!

    Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

    The Florida Hangers Facebook page

  6. #46
    Prefers life at 12 MPH. FLRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Posts
    4,650
    Images
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    We will be glad to help out! Like Islander said, an afternoon in the backyard or nearby park is a great place to tweek gear (and get a nap).

    I'm planning on spending Saturday morning in a County Park that's about 5 minutes from my house. I call it my hammock testing grounds!

    I have two trees in my yard. Unfortunately, one is in the front and the other in the backyard. I don't have enough Amsteel to go around the house
    Bah! You don't go around the house! You hang over the house!







    Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and take no responsibility for injuries associated with the above "advice". Pizza chefs have no money for lawsuits...

  7. #47
    New Member wilfish247's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Rockledge, FL
    Hammock
    HH
    Insulation
    body fat!!
    Posts
    8
    I would be interested in this trip, correct me if I'm wrong but so far it looks like an adult only hike or are the kids welcome? If so then my family of six would love to join in. Chris
    What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger!

  8. #48
    MAD777's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY down 3/4 UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Dutch
    Posts
    10,515
    Images
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by wilfish247 View Post
    I would be interested in this trip, correct me if I'm wrong but so far it looks like an adult only hike or are the kids welcome? If so then my family of six would love to join in. Chris
    I have six kids (all grown now) so I would feel right at home
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

  9. #49
    Senior Member zukiguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rockledge, FL
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wiggy's ground pad
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Posts
    1,288
    Images
    6
    Since it's a whole 20min hike I'll most likely bring my 7yr old. Hopefully I can keep the whining to a minimum on the way in. I think he'll be fine once we get there. Unfortunately, Dad gets to be the pack mule.

  10. #50
    New Member wilfish247's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Rockledge, FL
    Hammock
    HH
    Insulation
    body fat!!
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I have six kids (all grown now) so I would feel right at home
    That six include my wife and I, we have 4 kids 2 girls and 2 boys from 16, 13, 11, 7 we all have our own HH's and have kayak/canoe camped along the Suwanee River and Peace River, Indian River, Islands in Oak Hill. This would be a great way to add another area to our list.
    What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger!

Similar Threads

  1. Looking To Hang Near Central Park, NYC
    By WonderMonkey in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 11-28-2012, 09:19
  2. central NC hang?
    By miyanc in forum Hangouts, Campouts, and Trip Planning
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 10-04-2012, 05:57
  3. The Central FL 11 Hang Report
    By Great White in forum Trip Reports
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 11-17-2011, 03:53
  4. Central Florida hang?
    By samsara in forum Hangouts, Campouts, and Trip Planning
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 10-15-2011, 17:07
  5. Mid-Winter hang in Central WA, USA
    By Buenos in forum Hangouts, Campouts, and Trip Planning
    Replies: 123
    Last Post: 02-03-2011, 03:27

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •