Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    this isnt the place to worry about it either way, im getting it worked on soon and will be back up, just going to take a little longer than i hoped.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    BIAS
    Tarp
    HG cuban
    Insulation
    Baby Orca UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Bummer man, you'll re-aquire when things straighten out...I'm sure...

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by REV View Post
    thanks. yeah, she and i are working things out between us anyway, and weve always stayed friends. so im very lucky having her in my life, along with a few good friends.
    Hmmm...grown ups! Whoda thunk it? Good news

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari, Eno Doublenest
    Insulation
    Homemade Undrquilt
    Well, since it was brought up, and your post sent up a huge red flag for me this might be a good time to educate people on something that could cost them money. Money they could use toward camping gear. Now I would never suggest taking legal advice off the internet, but you should be aware of the laws protecting you. Rev, please understand that I am not calling you out on this, just merely trying to help here.

Car batteries come classified by size - http://www.batteryweb.com/bci.cfm. Those codes determine the physical size and post configuration, ie: positive post on the left or right, and if it's top post, side post, or a combination. From there you have amp ratings, which determine the capacity of the battery. Things like cold cranking amps, amp hour ratings etc. As long as you match the original as closely as possible you are fine. Motorcycle batteries have a different numbering system, but it's similar in nature. To clarify for AaronAlso, Harley might provide the specs of their battery, but they do not have to "approve" any others that are made to that specification. As long as a part meets or exceeds the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) specs, you are allowed to put that part of your car and still have the warranty coverage afforded by the manufacturer. If someone tells you otherwise, then be very suspect. One other point to be made here is that I would be willing to bet money that Harley does not even make this battery. It's a battery from a battery manufacturer that has branded this for Harley. A quick search has a couple of people suggesting Deka makes them for Harley.

If I recall correctly this all played out over oil filters and manufacturers were denying engine warranties based on the fact people were using aftermarket filters. The govt stepped in and with this law basically said you can go ahead and force people to use your filter to keep their warranty, but if you want to play that game then you have to provide the filter to the consumer free of charge. Otherwise OEM spec filters will not void any warranty. It applies to all auto parts, but I think oil filters were the catalyst. I could be completely wrong on that but recall that was the explanation I was given.

If you get a bad vibe from a mechanic or a part guy, by all means get a second opinion just like you would if you were at your doctor and didn't like what he said. Car and motorcycle repair can get expensive quick, and when you are talking about your sole means of transportation, it can be a real problem.

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    i understand all that, and while i thank you for your help, its no longer an issue and doesnt need to be discussed anymore. even if it was, id still be out of pocket for repairs that need to be done now that somethings messed up. the new/old battery is back where i got it, it tested bad and is being replaced. after that ill test my system and see what needs to be replaced to make it right again.

no one is at fault here, it just sucks that it happened and im just a month out of warranty. the OEM battery lasted me about 2 weeks out side of the warranty, so HD cant do anything.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Fig View Post

If I recall correctly this all played out over oil filters and manufacturers were denying engine warranties based on the fact people were using aftermarket filters. The govt stepped in and with this law basically said you can go ahead and force people to use your filter to keep their warranty, but if you want to play that game then you have to provide the filter to the consumer free of charge. Otherwise OEM spec filters will not void any warranty. It applies to all auto parts, but I think oil filters were the catalyst. I could be completely wrong on that but recall that was the explanation I was given. .....
    Sounds right to me. The law has been on the books for all long time. I remember Fram stepping up and buying a long block for several customers who had issues like blown filter casings or jammed relief valves that were a direct cause of the engine failure. I saw Dana (suppling NAPA engine parts at that time) cover a water pump that exploded at high RPM's and basically wiped the front of the engine off a tow truck, taking all the hydraulics and radiator out--- and the fan went through the hood. The rep just handed over the paperwork and box up the damaged parts and took some photos. This kind of stuff doesn't happen often, but the manufacturers all seemed to take it in stride and cover the customer and service providers.

I would think that the battery manufacturer would step up if the battery shorted and fried the system. I imagine it could get dicey on a rig with a lot of customization.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by REV View Post
    no one is at fault here, it just sucks that it happened and im just a month out of warranty. the OEM battery lasted me about 2 weeks out side of the warranty, so HD cant do anything.
    Welcome to the third law of nature.

Glad things are working out better than expected.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234