Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Looks like I'm gonna have to just get a pad and spend some nights in the back yard; find out where my own limits are, and have my wife do the same.

Knowing that I get chilly on the bottom side right around 70, I suspect the 1/4" pads might not get me the insulation I'd prefer. I've been absolutely astounded at how poorly I sleep in a hammock if I feel cold! I've only had it worse on the ground once, when I didn't have a pad and spent the night in a vertical fetal position on the 45* ground and air, under 50* bag. This was in the days before I understood that pads were more about insulation than they are about padding...

Bulkwise, it looks like the Nest (which I already have) or 1/4" pad are pretty similar. Significant difference in weight. The things that attract me to the pad are weather resistance, ease of setup by comparison to additonal rigging for the UQ, and redundancy (going to ground if necessary).

Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    Looks like I'm gonna have to...spend some nights in the back yard; find out where my own limits are,...
    IMO, the first thing you should do. And the most important! I hate being cold at night on the trail. I hate equipment/system surprises even more.

FB

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    The thread stickied at the top of this forum has a lot of good info...Youngblood provides a link to the r-value table in post#36.
    Thanks, that is the one I was referring to. Here is the link to that article from Youngbloods post:

Attached Files Pad Extender - Tips Rev. D.xls (16.5 KB, 56 views)

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    After reading some of these posts, I am just thrilled that I am a hot sleeper, not a cold one. It wouldn't even occur to me to buy a three-season UQ 'cause I don't get cold in those three seasons.

With my zero degree bag in my hammock, I don't even think of a pad till it gets about 40 degrees. With cheap blue pad and a space blanket, I've gone to 25 degrees and was warm and toasty. One night my son came along on a hang, so I gave him the zero and I used a 20 degree bag with cheap blue pad and space blanket. The temps got down to around 25 and my feet got chilly, but I tossed one of those hand warmers down there and problem solved.

Can't wait for the cold weather to come so I can explore my limitations a bit more in the back yard!

Golly! You sure are a warm sleeper. I don't consider myself a cold sleeper, but I sure do need something under me!

Kerry

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Looks like I'm gonna have to just get a pad and spend some nights in the back yard; find out where my own limits are, and have my wife do the same.

Knowing that I get chilly on the bottom side right around 70, I suspect the 1/4" pads might not get me the insulation I'd prefer. I've been absolutely astounded at how poorly I sleep in a hammock if I feel cold! I've only had it worse on the ground once, when I didn't have a pad and spent the night in a vertical fetal position on the 45* ground and air, under 50* bag. This was in the days before I understood that pads were more about insulation than they are about padding...

Bulkwise, it looks like the Nest (which I already have) or 1/4" pad are pretty similar. Significant difference in weight. The things that attract me to the pad are weather resistance, ease of setup by comparison to additonal rigging for the UQ, and redundancy (going to ground if necessary).

Kerry
    If you get the 40X60X0.25 pad, you can fold it into a 40X30X0.5 pad. That can double our insulation in a pinch. You'll want to throw your pack under your legs/feet to compensate for the shorter profile.

As far as the Nest relates to complexity and weather resistance, it is about as easy as they come to set up and UQ's don't tend to get as wet as TQ's (unless your tarp does not have much coverage).

I use pads and UQ's just to mix it up a bit. When it comes to temps below freezing ( the air is also drier then), I prefer the comfort and warmth of a good down UQ, although pads certainly can be used to go much lower. Above 50 it's a bit of a wash to me, but I might defer to a pad just to have a dry spot to sit when in camp as well.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    BigMambaJamba w/po
    Insulation
    3s BM & Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    Hi all,

I'm trying to solve the ubiquitous under-hammock-insulation issue for my Hennesy ULB.

While I have a JRB Nest, I don't like the weight, bulk, 'exposed' down (using a JRB 8x8 tarp, forget the stock tarp), and inability to easily go to ground if necessary. So, I'm considering trying a pad (again). I've tried standard width pads, which didn't work well. I've tried 'wing pads' made from blue foam pads. Far too bulky in the pack, not to mention strapped to the outside, which I hated.

I see some folks use a 1/4" thick pad, one of the large ones similar to those sold by Gossamer gear, custom cut to needs/wants. Seems like this might work-- wide enough for shoulders, wide enough to more easily stay put, and thin enough to not feel too stiff when laying on it, and small/thin enough to fit well inside my pack... maybe.

How cool does 1/4" get you down to? Most of my hiking is in the summer, but I find I get quite uncomfortable in my hammock right around 70 deg if under insulation doesn't fit right (or isn't there at all).

Any thoughts?
    My GG 1/4" Evazote pad worked till the low 40's. There's no magic - 1/4" isn't much insulation. A problem with the GG pad is that it is very expensive for what you get and it is very stiff and bulky - it doesn't pack small. You can buy some smaller sections of the same stuff from JRB for cheap - for something to play with.

Probably the best CCF pad for both insulation and pack size is the Z-Lite. When I was messing with pads I found a regular length Z-Lite to work best for me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123