Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    GH Incub/JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    1" webbing

Bridge questions

Hello from Sedona.

I am considering purchasing a bridge hammock. I currently own an HH exped with SS system & 2QZQ #2 mod along with a DL 1.7 Traveler. I have both hung at home & use them often. I've had the HH for almost 2 yrs & the Traveler for almost a yr and like them both.

While I LOVE to take 1-3 hr naps in both hammocks (I've had major back surgery and still have issues) I have yet to experience a good overnight experience. I know what a perfect lay is in both & achieve it consistently though I cannot find a long term comfortable side lay. I also know the tricks like best angle, knee pillow & finally found a comfortable neck pillow. I still have issues with gathered ends pressuring my feet & head/neck ever so slightly. I can live with the feet issue (thought about a channel style end hammock such as the Spear) but don't think it will solve my main problem with overnighting. After several hrs when I'm in deep sleep I awake because I can't breath, I mean jolted to a sitting position gasping to take a breath. The skin covering the upper mouth plate fills with fluid and blocks my air passages. I know it's a medical condition but it's also something about the angle of the gathered end hammocks since it never happens otherwise and I know going to side would solve this but as mentioned above that doesn't work since even if I start with side position I end up on my back which is exactly the opposite of my standard sleep habits (I start on my back & end up 3/4 side-front with a body pillow - tough to get a body pillow in the pack).

So now I'm thinking a bridge may solve my problem. Since money is tight & I've spent too much on hammocks & accessories already (wife gave me that look when I mentioned buying another hammock) I need to settle a few questions before I pull the trigger.

1. Anyone own a bridge here in Northern AZ willing to let me borrow a few days?
    2. I've heard sides get cold without UQ which I cannot afford for a while, must use pad. I have wide shoulders & back. I'm also concerned with shoulder pinching.
    3. I'm 5'9" 230#ish (working on it, was 255# at beginning of yr). Does weight effect comfort in a bridge like a gathered? (you can tell I'm pushing it in my HH compared to the Traveler & both bridges, BMBH & '11 Crysalis, I'm looking at are rated at 250# same as my HH)

I know it's a long post, I don't get out much I appreciate any feedback.
    The older I get the better I used to be. Superhero status is near.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    I have made two bridge hammocks so far. I like the bridge cause it does let me sleep totally on my side. Weight will have an affect on any hammock you try. Shoulder squeeze might not be an issue for you with even with wide shoulders. Reason being you side sleep. Can't squeeze the shoulders if only one is touching the hammock. I have yet to use a pad with my bridges but dblhmmck uses a neo air pad with great success. Best of luck to you. I will keep an eye on this thread and if I can share any helpful information with you I will gladly do that.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

...dblhmmck uses a neo-air with great success.
    Well, thanks Jazilla, but the BMBH will actually handle a pad way better than my DIY bridge. This is due to the fact that it has a dedicated pad sleeve for this purpose (no slipping around).

I think Jazilla's suggestion of using the inflated pad to minimize shoulder squeeze is a good one. BillyBob has spoken of using a 25" pad in the BMBH. I don't believe he was using his fully inflated, but I get my best results from full inflation which achieves more flatness from side to side. There is a bouancy that lifts your shoulders out of the U-shaped bottom. I think your best bet is the BMBH with a 25" pad.

Also, to help with the breathing, it seems to me that the the less banana shaped bridge may be more comfortable for ease of breathing due to it's flatter design. But for this same reason, a slight bit more care must be taken to get the head and foot ends level. I hope this will help.

Images
    I like bridge hammocks, but I'm not sure what to tell you sense you start out on your side but wake up on your back with problems. Do you think you shift after you are asleep because you are uncomfortable on your side? Or will you do this regardless?

I can sleep pretty comfortable on my side in my HHs and Warbonnet with fetal position. But it took me a long time to find the most comfortable way to do this. It was sort of an accident. But what I often do is get opposite of normal. For example, in my HH Explorer, if laying on my back with my feet angled RIGHT diagonal, instead of just turning on my left side and drawing my legs up(reasonably comfortable), I put my head towards the right side and draw my legs up, and can usually get more sideways/diagonal. But this puts a ridge beneath my waist, supporting it so there is no waist torque/twist. For my right side my head stays on the left side of the hammock, but again I get more diagonal than usual. Maybe experimentation with such would improve your comfort.

In my JRB bridge, on my side with legs straight or just slightly fetal, I have more side comfort than with any non-bridge hammock in a similar position. But, getting more than just a little fetal can be real hard to do. But if only moderate(at most) fetal position is needed, side position is always easiest in my bridge.

But I don't know if any of the above will be of any use to you. IOW, even if perfectly comfy on your side in a bridge, do you think you will still turn on your back after falling asleep?

Quote Originally Posted by dblhmmck View Post
    Well, thanks Jazilla, but the BMBH will actually handle a pad way better than my DIY bridge. This is due to the fact that it has a dedicated pad sleeve for this purpose (no slipping around).

I think Jazilla's suggestion of using the inflated pad to minimize shoulder squeeze is a good one. BillyBob has spoken of using a 25" pad in the BMBH. I don't believe he was using his fully inflated, but I get my best results from full inflation which achieves more flatness from side to side. There is a bouancy that lifts your shoulders out of the U-shaped bottom. I think your best bet is the BMBH with a 25" pad.

Also, to help with the breathing, it seems to me that the the less banana shaped bridge may be more comfortable for ease of breathing due to it's flatter design. But for this same reason, a slight bit more care must be taken to get the head and foot ends level. I hope this will help.
    Right, I have put a big ol Thermarest Camprest in there. I Have mostly just had it pretty much inflated. It makes things a bit tippy, pretty wierd at first, but it also ends all shoulder issues even flat on my back. I think I can get a lot more fetal also.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 09-19-2011 at 17:32.

Hammock
    BMBH / WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    GH Incub/JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    BillyBob58.
    To clarify; when I sleep flat (in a bed or on the ground) I do not have the breathing prblm. It is exclusive to my experience in hammocks (gathered end). When I sleep flat, bed or ground, I might start on my back but shift to a side or 3/4 front long before getting to sleep due to pressure on my nerves when laying flat on my back.

My experience in hammocks is opposite. I find lying on my back very comfortable, easily falling asleep in that position & as long as I don't sleep more than 2-3 hours I get up feeling great. Not so much any other position so even if I start out on my side I end up on my back when sleeping in a gathered end hammock because it's by far the most comfortable. After a few hrs of actually being asleep the breathing issue occurs. I think part of the problem is that I am so comfortable on my back, sleeping so soundly I don't realize my air waves are becoming restricted until I'm jolted awake suffocating. I also find turning to my side from my back in the hammock more difficult, I can't just roll to the side from my back but have to reposition the sweet spot completely which takes some effort. I don't do well like you in a fetal position. Therefore maybe a bridge will solve this as it is a true flat lay & rolling to a side position doesn't require the acrobatics of readjusting the sweet spot since there is none in a bridge.
    Last edited by Swingblade; 09-19-2011 at 21:09.
    The older I get the better I used to be. Superhero status is near.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
    Therefore maybe a bridge will solve this as it is a true flat lay & rolling to a side position doesn't require the acrobatics of readjusting the sweet spot since there is none in a bridge.
    Oh this may be the bridges down fall for you. It takes a little adjusting when changing positions in a bridge. This is mostly depending on the width of the center of the hammock. I have one that is around 30'' and if I roll my knees will hang over. On the bright side I find adjustments easier. In my gathered end hammocks I have to do flips and twist to turn and get back to my sweet spot. With the bridge I put each a hand on the webbing suspension and turn myself in the hammock.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

• + New Posts