Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man down!

Images

Man down!

I had a fall today while trying to see if I could stay up with just four wraps around the tree and no knot...you can't! Or at least I didn't.

Can I be in the club, now?!

Thankfully, I was hung real low and using my "test hammock."

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    yep, your in the club<g>.
    it wouldn't take much of a knot to hold it in place after 4 wraps though.
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

Images

Cool Wow, I feel cooler already...

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    yep, your in the club<g>.
    it wouldn't take much of a knot to hold it in place after 4 wraps though.
    Well, I just want to thank my mom and dad, all the folks at hammock forums all my friends and family everywhere in the world....alright, enough of the acceptance speech...

I heard from an arboring friend of mine that four wraps around a log and it won't pull loose. I had a Speer improved knot on one end and wrapped four times around the other, and it worked. Then, when I tried it on both ends, no go! Oh well, at least I made it in, and no bumps or bruises--just a skipped heartbeat!

Hammock
    HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    If you want a Darwin Award you gotta try just a little harder. nodnod
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Burrow &amp; Crowsnest
    Suspension
    WhoopieSling/Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalin View Post
    I had a fall today while trying to see if I could stay up with just four wraps around the tree and no knot...you can't! Or at least I didn't.

Welcome aboard. Actually, it's quite possible to keep a hammock hanging with Ed Speer's Four Wrap Knot.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalin View Post

Welcome to the Airborne Hammock Infantry. Though not well known there are a few of us disguised as ordinary hammockers, ready to be pressed into service at a moments notice. Our numbers remain small due to the fact that we are a covert OPS group. (never bail out of your hammock in public view)
    We are always looking for more members to make up for the attrition associated with this high risk manuver. When approached most people ask, "Who would want to jump out of a perfectly good hammock?".
    You have heeded the call to duty. Hold your head up high and be proud soldier. It's a dangerous job but somebodys got to do it!
    Personally, I have never earned a purple heart under these conditions. Although I am a seasoned vet with 5 jumps under my belt (or is it my butt), I have never managed to wound anything other than my pride. My stealthy moves have only been compromised once but the Bulldog's not talking

Seriously, I'm glad you are OK. I had the breath knocked out of me once and now I do all my testing at low altitude. Looks like you were smarter than me and started out near the ground. Chalk it up to a learning experience.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    I've taken 2 falls, both slow, and both worth laughing at. Both happened on the same night at the MAHHA fall hang.

First one, my son jumped into my hammock with me, causing the ziptie to bust and we slowly got lowered to the ground as the hammock slipped out of the supports because there was nothing there to stop it.

Second one was caused because of the same reason as the first, only thing was it waited until I had to water a tree at 3am. Good thing I had extra zipties, though finding them at 3am in my pack without waking my sons was alittle tough.

Welcome to the club. Someone show him the secret handshake.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

So you guys are not knotting them but zip tying?

Sorry.. I'm a New B hanger and looking for all the angles

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Welcome aboard. Actually, it's quite possible to keep a hammock hanging with Ed Speer's Four Wrap Knot.
    I just want to clarify that I wasn't using Ed's four-wrap...I was simply wrapping them around the tree without any knot...

Quote Originally Posted by JDHiker View Post
    So you guys are not knotting them but zip tying?

Sorry.. I'm a New B hanger and looking for all the angles
    Yup!

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock2.html

Go to the bottom of the page and you will find the zipties whipping. I haven't used anything else. As a noob, I would suggest looking at all of Jeff's gear on this page: http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGear.html

Even if you are not planning on making your own gear, that page is very informative, and I went there quite a bit when I needed to know more info...

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Welcome! Another one lives to tell!