Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks guys, I think I'll order some 1/4 from GG.

Hammock
    various homemade Speer type
    Tarp
    10' X 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    CCfoam, Down quilt
    Suspension
    various
    Images
    I'm a cold sleeper and need 2 GG 3/8" pads which I overlap in the middle.
    This gives me a very wide pad with an extra thick center line area.

Below 32 degrees, I use 2 1/2 pads with the 1/2 pad placed cross ways
    in the middle.

I guess my point is that if you can only carry 1 pad, you may want to consider
    the 3/8" thick pad as opposed to a 1/4" pad.

consider getting more than 1 pad. in the summer you may be able to get by with an 1/8" pad, for 32* you are looking at 3/8. and 1/2" down in the 20's and below. if you get a few thinner pads you can always stack them or even make a sgt rock pocket pad. an 1/8" and a 1/4" would cover 10 or 11 months of the year. you could make a pocket pad out of 2 layers of 1/8" and then have another 1/8" that you can use in summer or stick inside the pocket pad in winter, otherwise just use the empty pocket pad which would be equivalent to 1/4".

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post

Is there a difference between the GG pads and the Speer pads? I've been using the pads from Speer, and I quite like them. No idea how they compare to GG, though.
    I have never seen the Speer pads but I think they are both made from Evazote so they should be the same pad, more or less.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Pad type, pad thickness, sleep-wear, bag or quilt or something else, weather (still or windy, humidity)...all affect the sleep comfort and interplay with each other. It's darn hard to talk about one without considering the others.

That being said, my old-style Oware (3/8") pad keeps me comfortable to the mid-20s. I always thought that was great performance for a 7oz pad.

FB

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddleback View Post
    Pad type, pad thickness, sleep-wear, bag or quilt or something else, weather (still or windy, humidity)...all affect the sleep comfort and interplay with each other. It's darn hard to talk about one without considering the others.

That being said, my old-style Oware (3/8") pad keeps me comfortable to the mid-20s. I always thought that was great performance for a 7oz pad.

FB
    I think I'd have to agree with you on that!

If I only had one pad for hammocking, it would be the Ridgerest XL, which is 25 inches wide and 77 inches long, and about 3/8 inch thick or so. I have used it well below freezing and been comfortable. (When it gets into the single digits, I wise up and sleep on the ground <grin>.) The only issue is bulk -- it's one big pad rolled up. But it carries vertically on the front of the pack.

Hammock
    home-made
    Tarp
    home-made
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    If I only had one pad for hammocking, it would be the Ridgerest XL, which is 25 inches wide and 77 inches long, and about 3/8 inch thick or so. I have used it well below freezing and been comfortable. (When it gets into the single digits, I wise up and sleep on the ground <grin>.) The only issue is bulk -- it's one big pad rolled up. But it carries vertically on the front of the pack.
    I'm glad to hear this! I've already got one of these pads and have been debating changing. My thought was take my WalMart eggshell pad and use pieces of the CCF pad to make some wings. I'll probably do this anyway, but since I'm used to carrying my Ridgerest XL, I'll stick with it for the time being.