Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Spyderline for suspension (size and quanity)

Hey Guys,

My dad's traveling down to Seattle, so I thought I'd send him to West Marine to pick up some Spyderline and save the big shipping costs.

Anyways, I'm looking to replace the stock HH Expedition lines with the spyderline and switch to the trucker's hitch/carabiner hitch suspension system.

Just not sure how much rope i need for each side, and what size.
    Would 15 feet per side work well?
    Also, might pick up some extra just in case, and if it's close enough, just get the spool.

Second question. I'm not sure if I need the 2.8mm (1200 psi tensile) or the 3.8mm (1900 psi tensile). I'm 145ish lbs, and might hang my bag up too (35lbs?). Would the 2.8mm be enough?

Thanks
    Dan

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingyul View Post
    Hey Guys,

My dad's traveling down to Seattle, so I thought I'd send him to West Marine to pick up some Spyderline and save the big shipping costs.

Anyways, I'm looking to replace the stock HH Expedition lines with the spyderline and switch to the trucker's hitch/carabiner hitch suspension system.

Just not sure how much rope i need for each side, and what size.
    Would 15 feet per side work well?
    Also, might pick up some extra just in case, and if it's close enough, just get the spool.

Second question. I'm not sure if I need the 2.8mm (1200 psi tensile) or the 3.8mm (1900 psi tensile). I'm 145ish lbs, and might hang my bag up too (35lbs?). Would the 2.8mm be enough?

Thanks
    Dan
    15 ft / side is more than adequate. I go with 12 ft / side. Others 'round here use even less.

Suspect you'll be fine with 2.8mm, in which case you might consider getting a spool with all the money you save by not getting it shipped. I like the 2.8mm stuff a lot, have used it for a ridge-line (overkill!), and some special purpose applications where I needed really strong cord for tie-outs.

That said, I did snap a strand of 2.8mm once (at a knot) hanging too tightly and too flat. Learned my lessons, and now hang with stronger stuff (uncoated Vectran, rated to about 2000 tensile and lighter than 2.8mm Spyderline). But some knowledgeable folk here admit to hanging with 2.8mm.

Color selection for 2.8mm is better than for 3.8mm also, at least it is buying from Annapolis Performance Sailing.

Grizz

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    Found it to be cheaper to buy a 75' mini spool than to buy it by the foot. +1 for Annapolis they have some pretty good sales.

Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod
    I've been looking and I cant find what it is yall are talking about...all the measurements are in standard and not metric...can someone post a direct link to the proper rope? Thanks.

Think I may have found it...is this it:

http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d3000/e827.asp

If so...which one would you suggest?
    Last edited by alex30808; 04-18-2008 at 21:14. Reason: may have found link
    Alex Williams
    Acts 10:13 "Arise Peter, Kill and Eat."
    Job 14:15 "Call upon Me and I shall answer you."
    Williams Custom Calls

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I use the 7/64" Amsteel 12 and the 3mm Amsteel Blue and I am very happy with both.

I would suggest sticking with a line of at least 1200 lbs breaking strength and low stretch. Other than that, just about any size or style of rope should work.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    i like the way uncovered line handles, nice and soft, and stronger than the covered lines of the same diameter.

Well, no dice.
    The West Marine didn't carry it in stock, so no go. They could have shipped it there from the warehouse, but he was just down for the day. Looks like it's mail order time. That or see if I can get a spool shipped down to one of the Vancouver stores and pick up from there.
    I decided to go with the 3.8mm stuff, just to be safe.

On the other hand, he did pick up some figure 9s for me. Really neat product. Should be fun to test out.

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d288000/e286230.asp This is the one I was talking about. When I purchased mine they were running a 20% off sale and it was a really really good deal. I find it is best to use the rope that brings you piece of mind, rather than what you think you can get by with. So if the 3.8mm stuff gives you piece of mind I say use that.

• + New Posts