Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    None yet, but hopefully soon!

Tinkering with tarp ideas

I should first say that I haven't done much DIY other than a few silnylon stuff sacks and some pack modifications, but as I'm breaking into the hammocking world as someone who loves fiddling around with projects, I have spent a LOT of time reading the DIYs. Which leads me to my thought/question:

I've seen a lot of talk about removable doors for a winter/bad weather tarp. I'm drawn to the idea of having doors on a tarp because the camping Gods seem to want to throw a lot of bad weather my way, during any season and on almost all trips (I don't know why, I think I'm a pretty nice lady: I leave firewood for people, I clean up after myself, you'd think my "kampingkarma" would be good!). My question is, has anyone ever made a tarp with permanent doors that can be rolled back and tied/toggled to the main tarp body when not in use? A lot of tents have this option on the fly - you can roll back one side, both sides, neither side as the weather dictates.

I know a lot of you might have concerns here about the weight or not needing doors all the time, but to be honest the weight would be minimal for me, especially since I'd already be saving a tonne of poundage by leaving the tent at home! It would already feel heavenly to have that off my back!

I've just been wondering if, structurally as a DIY project, this would be reasonable. I was thinking I could cut and hem the doors separately, then fasten them to the tent body and add some toggles.

Thoughts? Y'all are the experts, so let 'em fly!

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    the Superfly from Warbonnet has built in doors, i don't know if you could "roll" them back and and attach them to the main body, but it would be no problem just to tie the shock cord back to one of the tie outs on the main body to keep them secure and out of the way

probably could do the same thing with any tarp with built in doors

i DIY'd doors for my BMJ and i just tie them back when not in use to one of the tieouts, although they are removable and not permanently attached

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Karo Top Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I have the GG 12x12 and during some bad weather i have closed off an end no problem. Its just a matter of tie outs. Also if u have a rectangular tarp u kinda have doors already. The hex tarp u would need to add doors.

Hammock
    True about the rectangular tarp, though to make that work (if I wanted doors at both sides) I'd have to get an extra long tarp to allow for folding/crossing the end pieces into doors? If I'm thinking about this correctly, anyway...

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    I have built a rather large tarp with permanent doors that I just fold in and attach them to each other across the inside of the tarp with a piece of string or shock cord. I like having permanent doors. The only thing I would do differently next time is I would not make the doors separately and sew them on, I would just make the tarp appropriately larger and cut the shape of the door into it.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    So maybe something like this, as an example? Except if it was DIY, maybe do cat cuts on the two longer sides, leaving the shorter ends straight so they can act as better doors?

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Hiking...uides-tarp.jsp

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    There's tons of info on here about making tarps...look around...you can also take a look through my gallery as well...I made a prototype out of an old sail...SilNylon.. I designed it so I could also use it as a tarp-tent if I'm at a location i can't hang ... a bald or the beach ..good luck... the best thing about MYOG is that you build it to suit your needs .. have fun!!
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    I have a Backwoods Daydreamer Winter Dream tarp(no longer produced sadly) that has attached doors and a MacCat Deluxe Spinn From OES that can be pitched in a way that doors are formed. Use the MacCat as my primary tarp, Signifigant other uses the BWDD WD as hers and we fold the doors under when not need and keep them in place with a section of shockcord. This way if we get a sideways rain anytime of year we are covered.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is one I made.....used the BlackCat Tarp directions.....http://www.teamgunnparker.com/blackc...#_Toc173479851
    Added doors later. Made patterns with paper to fit. I used velcro then but I live in Minnesota and deep winter camp.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    RE: The SuperFly... There is no built in way to roll up the doors, but one could sew on some ties. What I do with mine is fold them under the deployed tarp and tie the corners together with shock cord. They are up out of the way when not needed, but easy and quick to tie shut when needed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast