HH backpacker
    Tarp
    still looking
    Insulation
    SS
    Suspension
    standard

WL Old Man Winter or wait for a Superfly

Greetings from New Hampshire. I've been debating a new tarp for months and through this site I've gained an over whelming amount of information. Currently, I use my standard HH backpacker tarp and through practice I have learned to keep the rain out but I want more. I started winter camping (on the ground) two years back and I want to bring my hammock with me this year. I've debated doors or no doors and I've decide doors because grizz beaks will add as much weight or more and like attachable doors the cost is more. Sorry off topic.

Wilderness logics Old Man Winter 126x112 at 18.6oz.--Superfly 132x120 19oz.
    I like the smaller size of Old Man but the Superfly per inch weighs less. Also, the Old Man has three tie-outs per side, while the Superfly has two--both have two panel pulls and tie-outs for the doors, so the Superfly in theory (all this is theory) will need two less stakes which means over all it will weigh less. Less stakes less work or will I get a tighter tarp with the more tie-outs? Do I need to use the middle tie-out (the cut of the tarp makes it look necessary)? I'm not the biggest weight finatic but I hate to wait--the Old Man winter is in stock and Warbonnet might not ship till the snow comes. They both come in at about the same cost. Anyone seen these tarps side by side? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks
    Last edited by threadlessclimber; 09-23-2011 at 18:40. Reason: can't spell

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    From the looks of the pics, the Old man winter tarp would need the middle tie out to get a taut pitch which means an extra couple of stakes as you mentioned. Based on your thought process I'd think the Superfly would be good for you if you do not need it in the near future.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    From the looks of the pics, the Old man winter tarp would need the middle tie out to get a taut pitch which means an extra couple of stakes as you mentioned. <snip>.
    That need for more stakes may be particular to the tarp.

Muck around in hmmck and tarp-related videos, and you may see, as I did, a tarp set up in which the bushcrafter quickly secured center tie-outs to corner stakes. Maybe that configuration was particular to the tarp, or maybe works with many or all.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    That need for more stakes may be particular to the tarp.

Muck around in hmmck and tarp-related videos, and you may see, as I did, a tarp set up in which the bushcrafter quickly secured center tie-outs to corner stakes. Maybe that configuration was particular to the tarp, or maybe works with many or all.
    Oh yeah, I know that video. Forgot about that.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Oh yeah, I know that video. Forgot about that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjMml...yer_detailpage

This is the video. The presenter seems as sophisticated in his understanding and skills as most who present at HF.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 09-30-2011 at 10:56. Reason: misquote

Hammock
    HH backpacker
    Tarp
    still looking
    Insulation
    SS
    Suspension
    standard
    I've been in contact with Marty and he is wicked quick with responses, even offered to mail me color samples. He also said he could make an OMW with two tie outs and without the two cat cuts. My thoughts are that the panel pulls would do the job that the third tie-out does. Any personal experience with panel pulls?
    I'm not worried about the weight of additional stakes (I've been known to have 1 or 2 extra) but with the economy of action and the simplicity of adjustment. Hey Backtrack, no hard feelings but bladder hydration systems and New Hampshire winters don't mix.

Thanks for all the input

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjMml...yer_detailpage

This is the video. The presenter seems as sophisticated in his understanding and skills as most who present at HF.

What do you mean by "Forget about that." ?

That what he presents is too difficult or not worth doing?

That it doesn't apply to the WL tarp?
    he said " forGOT about that " dang calm down
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Just remember that the Old Man winter has a much longer bottom edge than the 126" of the ridgeline. That extra bottom edge length facilitates the creation of the doors when they are folded in and gives overall a little more room inside the tarp.

The Old Man winter is a relatively new tarp to the hammocking world, so there may not be much in the way of side by side comparisons with the current Warbonnet SuperFly.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have not seen the Old Man tarp. I do have a WL Tadpole and I can say without hesitation that the quality is as good or better than any I have seen. Absolutely flawless work. I used to sew quite a bit in my Navy days so I am accustomed to looking at work and looking for flaws and defects as part of the quality control that we did. The attention to detail and prompt return of emails is rare these days. I have had, at my door, the various items I ordered from Marty before the USPS site showed any progress of the package. Prepare yourself for the best customer service and product to be had if you choose to go with Wilderness Logics. If all this matters in your decision then get the Old Man Winter tarp. Just sayin.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    HH backpacker
    Tarp
    still looking
    Insulation
    SS
    Suspension
    standard
    After rereading my post it sounds like I've already made up my mind. I plan to use this more for wind and snow, so the more coverage of the Superfly has it in the lead but then I think about it for a few minutes and change my mind. Both seem to be great products. I wish I didn't over analyze every purchase. I don't recommend going grocery shopping with me. On the side-logics is not a word. Would my English teacher let me pass with that on my tarp?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast