Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Stock HH tarp

KAQ Design with IX

I am working on my first DIY project for my HH Expedition...an underquilt. I am going to be using IX as the insulation and only one side (the underside) will be lined with 1.1 ripstop. My design is based off of the KAQ design in the articles section.

Since I couldn't find any threads for someone who has done a KAQ with IX, I decided to merge the basic KAQ design with the IX design found here.

Below is the resulting design. This is just the basic cutting patterns, not the details such as shock cord channels, etc. This is my first attempt at doing any gear design...so please point out issues.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Looks really good.

One note on the shell - it should be built to the exact same specs as the layer of IX it goes against. I wouldn't recommend making it any smaller or larger - use the same dimensions and the same darts. W/o the darts you could be squishing layers.

Beyond that, it looks really good. I can't wait to see pics of the final product!
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Stock HH tarp
    Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

So are you saying that I should add a pair of darts to the liner in order to match it up completely with the IX layers? If so, would the design work better with a 32" width on the head/foot ends with a 2" dart on each end, the same as the top IX layer.

Thanks,
    Patrick

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Yes, make any shell layer to the exact specs of the corresponding IX layer.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    TX250, NX200, WBBB
    Tarp
    WBSF, Edge, Vertex
    Insulation
    Incu-Burrow!
    Suspension
    Camo w/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I made one using this design, but I used 1 layer of Thinsulate. As long as you make it the same size and include the darts, you should be ok. How cold do you think it will go?
    My YouTube channel: Tool Dude Tony
    "No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Stock HH tarp
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudorino View Post
    I made one using this design, but I used 1 layer of Thinsulate. As long as you make it the same size and include the darts, you should be ok. How cold do you think it will go?
    I am not entirely sure how cold I can go...but based off of other 3 layer IX designs and the fact that one layer of IX is rated to provide -13*F of insulation...I would guess this would take me down to around 30*F.

Of course, that would mean I need a good TQ to along with it...but that will be my next project. For now, I will just use my 20*F rated sleeping bag for a TQ.

Hopefully I will be able to get it put together this weekend and then give it a test run sometime soon after.

- Patrick

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss with camo bug net
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    down, IX, fleece
    Suspension
    dutchclips
    Images
    I am not entirely sure how cold I can go...but based off of other 3 layer IX designs and the fact that one layer of IX is rated to provide -13*F of insulation...I would guess this would take me down to around 30*F.
    The IX is highly overated for this application. I made an IX pod, but it needs an inner UQ to get down to colder temp,below 30f. It makes a great wind blocker for an UQ. Possibly add an inner layer of primaloft or something similar? Would be interested in hearing more from others that have made or used IX UQ to see how well they have faired with them and to what temps with howmany layers.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Stock HH tarp
    Quote Originally Posted by Newzy View Post
    The IX is highly overated for this application. I made an IX pod, but it needs an inner UQ to get down to colder temp,below 30f. It makes a great wind blocker for an UQ. Possibly add an inner layer of primaloft or something similar? Would be interested in hearing more from others that have made or used IX UQ to see how well they have faired with them and to what temps with howmany layers.
    Since I am very new to DIY gear, I am basing all my information on the things I have read on this forum. Also, my design is definitely not set in stone...so I am open to any additional information you have.

Can you tell me more about the design you used for you IX pod? (how many layers, dart details, etc...) What issues did you have exactly? (cold spots, general lack of heat retention, etc...)

Thanks!

- Patrick

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Will be watching with interest.

Only thing I can add is that you not buy into ridiculous published numbers for IX. If a single layer of IX could really go that low, all of us would have abandoned expensive and bulky down already.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Stock HH tarp
    i have the fabric cut, so i guess it is time to put it all together. I will post pics of the finished product once it is finished. hopefully it will turn out well, i haven't sewn since middle school home ec class and i have never used a sewing machine...so i hope my mother is a good teacher...

• + New Posts