Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Keep the blogs rollin'! As winter approaches and folks begin to pop on here and ask questions we'll have an easy cut and paste link to your blog for the answers!

I'm learning a lot too, and am anticipating winter and some cold weather hikes with confidence this year.

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    Really enjoyed that. I don't hike in your 11º like you had on Bear Mountain often, but I do find my self hanging in sub 40º probably 7-10 nights per year. Relly liked the demo on the Black Momba. I just picked up a TQ, and though it is different, you demonstrated very effectively how to use it properly. Thanks for all that.
    It actually got down to 3*F but my watch thermometer crapped out at 11*F

I checked accuweather for that area a month later and I was like... WHOA that was cold.

Glad you liked the attached videos and they helped you with your new purchase.

Thug life!!
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    Keep the blogs rollin'! As winter approaches and folks begin to pop on here and ask questions we'll have an easy cut and paste link to your blog for the answers!

I'm learning a lot too, and am anticipating winter and some cold weather hikes with confidence this year.
    I'm glad some of my info is helping my peeps. Especially the noobs. Dont be fooled winter hiking is definitely a lot more work than the other seasons. But, to me, it's also a lot more peaceful and beautiful too.

Practice is the key. Get familiar with your gear and definitely know the gear's limits.

Stay Gangsta!

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

Youtube Channel:

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post

I'm looking to do the NJ winter hang this January 2012. Hope to see you there!
    Unfortunately that is an 8 hour drive for me. I would only be able to just get there, sleep and leave.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Good stuff you learned there Water Monkey.....seriously, the only way to know your way around the winter chill is to get your butt out there and learn the hard way.
    You did. Whooooooooooo Buddy.
    I am looking forward to some serious cold and more fun in the frosted woods. And more condensation on my frost-bib and a way less frosty TQ.
    S-S-Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    Unfortunately that is an 8 hour drive for me. I would only be able to just get there, sleep and leave.
    Yeah its about a 6-7 hour drive for me as well. I'm planning on staying a couple of days to break in my multi-day winter camp routines.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Good stuff you learned there Water Monkey.....seriously, the only way to know your way around the winter chill is to get your butt out there and learn the hard way.
    You did. Whooooooooooo Buddy.
    I am looking forward to some serious cold and more fun in the frosted woods. And more condensation on my frost-bib and a way less frosty TQ.
    S-S-Shug
    I agree the only way to figure this out is to do trial and error. I still dont know how you do the -25*F and below trips. 3*F was cold enough for me!!!

Youtube Channel:

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Awesome write up. A lot of great info in that blog. Those tips will certainly help keep me toasty warm in the winter.
    LRR
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    Awesome write up. A lot of great info in that blog. Those tips will certainly help keep me toasty warm in the winter.
    LRR
    Thanks glad you liked it.

To help those out later on down the road with research I added another category on the right side of my blog labeled "Winter Hiking" which will have all my blogs about this particular season.

Youtube Channel:

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Thanks for the information. I already knew some of it (the water purification, extra calories, batteries, and frost on gear), but some of it was new (down not so good to wear when sweating, keeping your water bottles upside-down, three-layer system for gloves/mitts in addition to normal layering).

While it's unlikely I'll need the majority of it hiking here in FL, anywhere else I go, well...thanks for saving me some uncomfortable nights!

Another tip about "cold" weather from Florida (not really hiking-related, but still...): your flip-flops' adhesive will vaporize out between the sole and insole before the bottom of the sole melts/catches on fire if you're warming your feet next to a fire. Sucks to walk a half-mile in flip-flops with no adhesive holding the insole's heel in place. Sucks worse to have the sole's rubber melt. Especially after a couple of adult beverages...

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Good information! As we know, there is no substitute for actually trying this stuff out.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast