Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Unfortunately, they do tend to be a little bit of trial and error. This holds true even within a brand and model. "Fair-trade" hammocks are both the best and worst way to purchase a hammock. For all the moral reasons, they are great! You also stand an excellent chance of having a very fine hand-made hammock that will provide years of comfort. The other side of the coin is, these are generally hand-made hammocks; expect subtle differences based on the hands that are making it. By and large, the odds are in your favor. I'd be remiss if I didn't bring up the possibility of a bad hammock; it happens.

With that out of the way, IMO, you are looking in the right direction. Size does matter to me with my indoor hammocks. Bed length is important, but overall length is also very important. I try to keep them all at least 12' long overall. My favorites tend to be closer to the 14' mark, but some of the shorter ones are quite comfortable. Again here, playing the odds as I fell more likely to gain comfort from overall length.

The hammock you listed has an overall of almost 14' and a bed length of 7.5'. These are both very good indicators in my mind that it will be a comfortable hammock. It is generously wide, which means you can get as diagonal as you would want...another good thing. It is on the pricey side at almost $200, but that is also usually a good indicator to the quality. Not always, but usually. This at least implies that they are using a quality cotton sheet that will likely be thick enough to provide some degree of warmth and longevity.

I could live without the orange color, but.....

I say go for it and let us know. At less than $200, it's still a whole lot cheaper than even a cheap low quality mattress set.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    As I said, the prices in the German shops are different. The fair trade hammock I listed first is sold for 120 EUR, free shipping. The cheapest of the hammocks I listed is about 80 EUR - so the difference is not that much. As you mentioned more than once: prices change frequently, which is why I find it difficult to go by the price alone. Lots of hammocks seem to be reduced at the moment (maybe because winter is coming?), so it looks like it's a good time to buy one.

I'm just a bit confused by the different widths. I think all the hammocks I listed are above the 12 foot mark (total length) - but the width varies from 1,60m to 2,00m. Does this make a lot of difference comfortwise?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Width provides you room for a diagonal lay/lie (whatever the correct word is), which in general, gives you more options for sleeping positions. My experiences are that if I want to lay flat(ish) in the hammock, I need to be able to go diagonal. When I want to have my head elevated for TV viewing, down the middle is great. I also live with a beautiful lady that sometimes graces my hammock for the evening. The additional width in that situation is critical to finding comfort for two.

To me, width is about flexibility. I can sleep inline (straight down the middle) just as well in a wide hammock as I can in a narrow one. However, I can't sleep diagonal (at least, not as diagonal) in a narrow hammock. I like options, so I'll always consider width on a home sleeper.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Thanks for all the help. I got the Princesa (in blue, not orange) and managed to hang it in my tiny room. I didn't get the perfect 45° angle, but it's about 43° or something like that.

I was surprised that there's no ridge under the calves whatsoever. But the lay is not perfect (yet). I'm not as flat as I am usually in the WBBB. With the BB I would shorten the webbing - does it work the same way with the Brazilian hammock? I played around a bit with the webbing, but if I were to let out the webbing more, I would have to change the anchor points. I also can't shorten the webbing a lot without moving the anchor points (it's a tiny room), therefore would appreciate further insights

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12