Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod

UQ Thoughts and Questions...

I have given thought to re-vamping a super warm sleeping bag into a DIY quilt. I've looked at the KA quilt design and that's all...I've not seen any other design ideas or DIY prints on how to make an UQ. My question is are most commercially avaliable UQ's square or do they have the "tapered" look? I realy like using my "Poncho Pod" but would like to have something that will take me down to lower temps and something that "Fits" the hammock.

I had given thought to makeing the quilt 54" wide and 72" - 78" long. Putting a draw cord on each end with a tab on each corner for suspension. Any thoughts?
    Alex Williams
    Acts 10:13 "Arise Peter, Kill and Eat."
    Job 14:15 "Call upon Me and I shall answer you."
    Williams Custom Calls

Images
    Alex, if this is your first DIY sewing project, I would stick with the rectangular quilt. I have not seen any plans for a DIY form-fitting quilt, and they are quite complex to design and build.

Depending on how big you are, the 54" width will also let you use the quilt as a top quilt on the ground. I have found 48" too narrow. In a hammock, I think I could get away with 42" as a top and under quilt. Depending on how tall you are, 72"-78" might be a little short. I made my second quilt 10" longer than I am tall, and I am much happier with it.

If it strictly an under quilt, you can make it both narrower and shorter. A lot of people seem to like 1/2 or 3/4 under quilts these days, myself included.

There are some good instructions for making a down under quilt here.

Good luck with the project, I am sure it will turn out great.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by alex30808 View Post
    I have given thought to re-vamping a super warm sleeping bag into a DIY quilt. I've looked at the KA quilt design and that's all...I've not seen any other design ideas or DIY prints on how to make an UQ. My question is are most commercially avaliable UQ's square or do they have the "tapered" look? I
    /QUOTE]
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneiderlein View Post
    Alex, if this is your first DIY sewing project, I would stick with the rectangular quilt. I have not seen any plans for a DIY form-fitting quilt, and they are quite complex to design and build.
    /QUOTE]
    Hey Alex,
    Here is link to a tapered UQ from Thru Hiker.http://www.thru-hiker.com/workshop.asp?subcat=5&cid=72 I used this idea to make one for my winter UQ.
    winter-uq.jpg
    Worked great! The channel that holds elastic to "snug" the UQ to your bottom is terrific. Make sure to sew it on before adding the baffles as then it gets a bit trickier to attach. The instructions are vauge in places so go to another set of directions to see how to insert baffles. Just Jeffs site has good info for stuffing down. Have fun.
    Shug of the Shapers
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I'd start with something simple. I used a pattern like the JRB quilts, rectangles. There's a good tutorial on a basic UQ that HC4U put up when he created a multiquilt.

I've used this basic pattern to make a climashield XP quilt and it worked fine.

For down quilts, there are a lot of tutorial type posts right here on HF, like the RRG quilt linked to above, and Arkwater had a good one too.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I have been in an UQ making frenzy for some reason. If it is strictly an under quilt I would suggest differential baffles. I only just learned of the concept. Of course that means you aren't just cutting down a larger sleeping bad.

If that is your intent to just cut down an existing bag I made my first UQ that way. I don't think shaping it is too tough at all. Just lay it out and mark with disappearing ink the shape you want. then just sew those lines. Cut around what you have sewn giving yourself 2-3 inch seam allowence. Then roll hem or you could use gross grain. 54 inches seems wide to me but you would have to be the one to carry it. Have fun with it.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ Pad
    Images
    Alex30808, did you ever complete your project? If so, how did it work. I am thinking about doing the same thing with an older (approx 5 years) sleeping bag. Just wondering if it had worked?
    "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    - Yoda

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
    Alex30808, did you ever complete your project? If so, how did it work. I am thinking about doing the same thing with an older (approx 5 years) sleeping bag. Just wondering if it had worked?
    Splinter, welcome to the forums.

Search the gallery for pics on sleeping bag mods. Here is one Green Therapy posted:

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=2893&c=searchresults&searchid=5703

Also, look at Skinner's mod here:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=4569

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ Pad
    Images
    I think Skinners' mod is really close to what I have in mind. I like the idea of the seperate lines, seems kinda cumberson when setting up. I'm also trying to decide if 1/2 UQ or full length.
    "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    - Yoda

• + New Posts