WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    I have some video but it has to be edited first and as I am still learning the editing "how tos" it may be awhile

Coooolll! take your time! I'll sit here and look forward to it.
    Bruciehi5 Videos
    15 Trip Reports
    2 DIYs

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    Well I suppose it's about time I spoke up! I would have sooner, but I'm still in recovery mode. Soggy's tent still needs to be put away after drying out. Everything inside the tent had to be washed 'cause like her trail name, it was soggy.

Thank you Slowhike and Rockdawg for pulling this together. A group hang this size has quite a bit more logistics than just heading out to hang for the weekend. Both of you really went the extra mile.

Dutch thank you for the underquilt clips. Did I get that right? They worked like a charm. It was a pleasure meeting you.

Gunner76, DetailMan and DivaB thanks for bringing your families along. It's nice to see families doing things together. DivaB thanks also for the disposable plates and bowls, etc. They sure did come in handy.

Pudden and Spanky thanks for the entertainment. My daughter was so happy to get a copy of your book Pudden. Before the raffle, she said if she won she was gonna pick the book. I'm glad it worked out that she was able to get a copy.

Draiken, I want you to buy me a lottery ticket someday! Nice wins on the raffle.

Kangaroo, I am glad you came back out on Saturday and bought your lovely wife Rhonda out to hang too. Thank you for the underquilt donation to the raffle.

Ldcakes, it was great seeing you again. Sorry we did not have a chance to hike together. Maybe next summer Timberrr and I can make it up that way again for some kayak camping. Thanks as well for breakfast. I'll be using that cheese sauce in the future.

Thanks to all of those who brought food to share.

Thank you everyone for being part of an unforgettable weekend.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Well, folks like RockDawg, Gumbo, Timber, LDcakes, & others that steeped up early on & made commitments on being there, food, etc, made my job much easier
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Looked to be a heck-of-a hammock hoedown and hootenanny......
    Fun to see familiar and new faces in the pictures.
    Glad ya'll shared some fellowship.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Looked to be a heck-of-a hammock hoedown and hootenanny......
    Fun to see familiar and new faces in the pictures.
    Glad ya'll shared some fellowship.
    Shug
    If we'd had you there we wouldn't needed to borrow that extension cord (for the lap top playing your videos)

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE AND STRAPS
    it was a wonderfull time and learned alot about how to zero in my hammock and SRL and gave me a better idea of how big i need to make my tarp which is 90% done and looks awsome ill have pics commin soon and thanks again and again for all the cooks and helpfull people that i met and i hope to see you all again very soon and if anyone is going to the TN gang in oct. my cousin and i will be attending

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Good to meet you BigTurtle. I hate that weekends like that go by so fast, especially for those that choose to drive so far.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
    Well I suppose it's about time I spoke up! I would have sooner, but I'm still in recovery mode. Soggy's tent still needs to be put away after drying out. Everything inside the tent had to be washed 'cause like her trail name, it was soggy.

Thank you Slowhike and Rockdawg for pulling this together. A group hang this size has quite a bit more logistics than just heading out to hang for the weekend. Both of you really went the extra mile.

Dutch thank you for the underquilt clips. Did I get that right? They worked like a charm. It was a pleasure meeting you.

Gunner76, DetailMan and DivaB thanks for bringing your families along. It's nice to see families doing things together. DivaB thanks also for the disposable plates and bowls, etc. They sure did come in handy.

Pudden and Spanky thanks for the entertainment. My daughter was so happy to get a copy of your book Pudden. Before the raffle, she said if she won she was gonna pick the book. I'm glad it worked out that she was able to get a copy.

Draiken, I want you to buy me a lottery ticket someday! Nice wins on the raffle.

Kangaroo, I am glad you came back out on Saturday and bought your lovely wife Rhonda out to hang too. Thank you for the underquilt donation to the raffle.

Ldcakes, it was great seeing you again. Sorry we did not have a chance to hike together. Maybe next summer Timberrr and I can make it up that way again for some kayak camping. Thanks as well for breakfast. I'll be using that cheese sauce in the future.

Thanks to all of those who brought food to share.

Thank you everyone for being part of an unforgettable weekend.

Glad you folks could make. Tell Soggy that the next trip will be better. Will try and see ya'll at FLA Hang.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    dangerbird
    Tarp
    Hennesey Hex
    Insulation
    t&bquilts-kangaroo
    Suspension
    straps

THanks for the kind words

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Left home for the hang at 5am on Friday in the rain and it rained hard most of the way to the park. With the rain came low clouds which means few views. Did see lots of Christmas tree farms in the area. As soon as we crossed into VA we were greeted by that unmistakable Pepe Le'Pew smell (skunk). Did see a couple of deer along the road. Got to Grayson a little before 1pm.

Found the hang site and set up our stuff. Ran in to Detail Man and his family whom I met at the Hot Springs hang last fall.

Wife wanted the 4 of us (my two sons came with us ) to hang together and we did manage to find a place.. This was wife's and sons first group hang and for one son, his first time camping in a hammock. We finished hanging our gear hung just as it started raining. Made for an interested weekend as this was my first time since I started hanging that it has rained while I was hanging.

Rockdawg (at least I think it was him) had erected a large blue tarp that cover the picnic table and this became "the place" to be when it was raining as we cooked our group meals under it. At times we had 3 Coleman stoves going along with a turkey fryer propane stove to cook those group meals. Also other hangers were using an assortment of backpacking stoves to make coffee, hot chocolate and or cook up other assorted goodies. If anyone went hungry at this hang it their own fault for not getting in line to get some food. While I did not gain any weight this weekend I did go thru the line for seconds and thirds, especially for the Gumbo made by GUMBO.

There were name tags with everyone’s trail-name or real name which it made it much easier to know who someone is (great idea as I am terrible with names) and most of us wore them.

My van battery died and I want to thank the fellow hanger who gave me jump.

Dutch showed up late Friday afternoon and a bunch and of us were checking out his set up hoping to see some new Dutch Toys but we were disappointed.

Friday night about a dozen of us went to the amphitheater next to the Camp Store and watched a slide show on Grayson Park. Learned that the famous Ponies were introduced in the 70's to help keep the highlands brush down. Apparently sheep and cows were tried but could not survive the winters.

After the group breakfast Saturday some folks decided to hike and most of the rest of us went to the festival to play tourist and or help with the hammock display. We were located along a trail leading to and from the food vendors and the main stage so we got lots of foot traffic. We had about 6 different hammock setups and had a fair number of folks of all ages trying out the hammocks. Even had a couple of people wanting to buy hammocks. I had a laptop and was playing Shug's "how to" videos. Smokey the Bear and Sparky the Flying Squirrel stopped by and tried out the hammocks. I think one guy spent about an hour checking out all the different hammock setups.

Back at camp we had Gumbo for dinner and then the raffle. Dutch was the master of ceremony. Lots of great prizes and a big thanks to everyone who donated something for the raffle. I won Pudden's Gost book for my wife and she had him sign it. I also scored one of Dutch's new toys (not available to the general public yet). Dutch said he would send me video on them as soon it is ready. Several hundred $$$ was raised and the $$ after paying for the camp site are going to be donated to the Friends of Grayson Park. One person who won a set of Dutch Ridgelines managed to get them thoroughly tangled and I offered to help untangle them. Did not tell him that I have gotten pretty good at untangling lines lately due to the number of my own I have had to untangle.

Several of us made bad jokes about Big Turtle’s fire starting ability and he still got a great fire going in spite of us.

Pudden told us stories about his childhood and his dad then told us what really happened. Later his dad played and sang some songs for us and then Pudden told some ghost stories.

It started raining later Saturday night and it came down hard. Then the lighting and thunder started up. While I did not get wet that night I did get drenched while taking down my gear in the AM. Did not try to keep anything dry, we just packed it way wet and headed home. Detail Man came by and gave us a hand taking down our stuff (Thanks Detail Man). Right now we got stuff hung out all over the garage drying out.

Looking forward to my next group hang.
    About me and my dad (Spanky)... we both had a blast and very much enjoyed our first group hang and his first hang ever...

Hammock
    dangerbird
    Tarp
    Hennesey Hex
    Insulation
    t&bquilts-kangaroo
    Suspension
    straps
    There's that dork with that blame book again...

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast