Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

DIY TQ/UQ - My First!

I am going to try to tackle the TQ and UQ in the near future. They don't seem too hard to do.

My lists...

-TQ-
    Shell - 5yd ripstop (1.1 or 1.5oz)
    Insulation - 5yd 4oz Primaloft (two layers for 8oz total)
    Collar - Shock cord with a cord lock to allow closure at the top

I am going to basically make a big blanket and sew into the corners to keep the Primaloft from shifting around there. Basically, I'll sew on a diagonal at each corner to lock it into place. For the footbox, I plan on making it about a foot or a foot and a half deep. I believe I've read of some technique that allows me to create a footbox out of an quilt near the end. As in, I won't have to cut a special section for the fabric but can utilize some sort of fold and sew technique. I am curious on how to do this!!! I guess I don't really need to do anything on the bottom for the footbox to create a "bottom" panel, but it might be better if i do.

-UQ-
    Shell - 3 yd ripstop (54" quilt)
    Insulation - 4oz Prima loft (single layer)
    Channels - channels on sides for shockcord - grossgrain
    Shockcord

Basically a square with insulation. I will use the same locking technique with the primaloft. Along the long edges I will create a gross grain channel to put the shock cord through to allow attachment.

What do you guys think???

Thanks!
    Shell - 3 yd ripstop (going for a 54" one)

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    BCUSA Tarp
    Insulation
    FAT!!!
    Suspension
    WhoooopieS
    Like the sound of it. I am in the process of getting my wife to show me how to use the sewing machine so I can do the same. Im going to use a $2 sleeping bag I got at our local thrift store. Gets us some pics when it happens.

Hammock
    11' Mutton Chop
    Tarp
    Camo Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    Loco Libre!
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ratherbecampin View Post
    Like the sound of it. I am in the process of getting my wife to show me how to use the sewing machine so I can do the same. Im going to use a $2 sleeping bag I got at our local thrift store. Gets us some pics when it happens.
    Thread injector dooood! Thread injector!
    perrito

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Hammock
    HH Expedition, DIY
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I'm planning on doing a tq and uq also. The only difference I'd do to your plan is make the UQ the heavier insulated.
    "truth is uncontainable, and inexpressible. It neither is nor is not.
    This unformulated principle is the foundation of the different systems of all the sages."
    Diamond Sutra

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    Hey man, an 8oz TQ and a 4oz UQ is kinda lopsided. The UQ will definitely be limiting how cold you can go. I would even go so far as to say you should reverse them (do the UQ with 8, and the TQ with 4).
    Also, you'll definitely want to secure the Primaloft all the way around the edge if at all possible. I sewed each shell to a layer of Pl, then sewed them together like this:quilt_layers.jpg
    You may also want to incorporate a bit of a differential to the outer shell, and add the thickness of the Pl to your outer shell dimensions so it doesn't compress under ya. It's real easy with insulation because it's so forgiving and stretchable. As an aside, I've found doing quilts to be much easier than some of the other projects I've done because there's so much wiggle room.

Good luck on the project!
    PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    I agree that the weights are reversed. I was thinking if you did the 8 under you and the 4 on top, you could add cloths to make up for the top quilt but that wouldn't do much for the uq as it will compress the insulation in the cloths.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    OK. Thank you for the heads up on the weights. I think I am going to go 7oz on top and bottom. That should get me down to 20deg, maybe lower. With some polypro long underwear and a space blanket I can push that low significantly.

I just need to make 2 TQ and 1 UQ. I was trying to keep the cost down if possible. I need a TQ/UQ for my hammock and I was going to make a quilt for my GF who is going to use my tarptent. She claims she has a sleeping bag but it might get to around 40 as a low and I am paranoid she might get cold. It would be a complete disaster for me if she had a miserable night!

This is what I was going to do to lock the PL in place. This would be prior to folding it over and sewing in the footbox.

Last edited by ljcsov; 09-26-2011 at 09:48.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    At a minimum, you need to sew the Primaloft into the edge seams ALL THE WAY AROUND. Most people add quilting loops at 18" on center or closer.

Also, for the underquilt, cut the outer layer of primaloft and the outer nylon shell at least 3" wider than the inner layer of both. Otherwise your Primaloft is going to become Punyloft.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    At a minimum, you need to sew the Primaloft into the edge seams ALL THE WAY AROUND. Most people add quilting loops at 18" on center or closer.

Also, for the underquilt, cut the outer layer of primaloft and the outer nylon shell at least 3" wider than the inner layer of both. Otherwise your Primaloft is going to become Punyloft.
    OK - Thanks for the feedback. I'll be sure to include extra space to allow loft. Maybe I'll try this looping thing too. I read about it on another site.

I guess I am only making myself a TQ and an UQ. My GF said that she doesn't want anything to do with my "body condom". She's going to use my sleeping bag and pass on the quilt for now.

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post

Mike, can you elaborate on this a tiny bit? Do you match the ends and leave it "loose" in the middle?
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast