Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images

Stratton Pond Loop, LT, Vermont

Yukon and I decided that we would take a nice overnight trip on the Stratton Pond Loop of the Long Trail (LT) in Vermont this past weekend. The planning stage went well. Then came the actual execution of our plan…that is where the beginning get bogged down a little. Long story short, I was about an hour late picking him up at the designated spot for our carpool to the trail head. I had few issues at home involving a wife with a cold and an upset toddler. Those of you who are fathers out there understand where I am coming from.
    The rest of the trip went pretty well even though we hiked most of Saturday in the rain. They don’t call Vermont VerMud for no reason! Very muddy…deep dark…squishy mud. I am not sure what was worse, the mud or the bog bridges with green slime on them. They were as slippery as ice. I almost fell off a few times, in fact, I fell on the second day. Fortunately nothing bruised but my pride. To state just how slippery they were, my two dogs had a difficult time walking on them without sliding off!
    We decided to take a short cut and detour around the actual summit of Stratton Mountain due to the rain and clouds making for no views at all. We thought that it would be better if we made it to camp, set up, made a fire, dried out, and just hung out for the afternoon. So that is exactly what we did. It took a little bit of skill and persistence to get a fire going in the soggy conditions, but we prevailed and managed to dry out a little.
    We set up a nice little camp site with matching WBBBs and SuperFlys facing each other. The dogs were anxious for their dinner, and once fed settled down for a nap. After everything was set up we each made our own dinners. Beef Stew for Yukon and BF5’s BBQ Spaghetti for me (yum!). Then it was time to relax and chat for a while as the darkness of night settled in around us. About dusk I saw a screech owl fly in and land right above Yukon’s hammock for a few seconds before it flew off. Too bad I couldn’t get a picture of it.
    Later right before we settled down for some comfortable sleep in the WBBBs, Yukon saw a couple of beavers swimming around in the pond and actually got to watch them chew at some trees. Lucky views.
    We had a pretty good night of sleep interrupted only when my dog, Hunter, decided it was time to chase some critters away from camp. He makes for a good camp guard dog, but he is not the quietest while on duty!
    I got to try out my new HG Cuben Hybrid 3S (20*) Phoenix UQ. Very nice! It kept me toasty all night long. I was so warm I couldn’t have the TQ on me most of the night. The lows were probably in the low 50s, but I am confident that it will live up to its ratings and more!
    When morning rolled around, we enjoyed breakfast from the hammocks then packed up for a leisurely hike back to the car. Sunday’s weather was clear and bright. And the fall colors were popping! Very pretty around Stratton Pond. We will definitely be going back there!
    All in all, it was a good trip with good company. I can’t wait until the next trip!
    Attached are some of the pictures of the trip. I will try to post more when I get them downloaded off of the camera.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Great trip and great fun! Always a blast when we get out in our Blackbirds. Looking forward to the next one already!

Raiffnuke forgot to mention trying out his new ULA Circuit on this trip as well, I'm pretty sure he liked it lol

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    You are right! How did I forget to mention that?!
    My new ULA Circuit worked very well. It was the most comfortable pack I have worn. Now I just have to relearn how to pack a pack...I had it dialed in with my old pack, but the Circuit is a different shape... It should only take a time or two of packing it to figure out what works best for me.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Also, looking forward to seeing Raiffnukes pics as he is a better photographer than I lol

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Looks like a great trip. I so love Vermont!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie,Dutch
    Nice pics . Sound like you had a great time in spite of the weather. Would definitely like to get back on the Long Trail

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Looks good fella's.....Rain, hail or shine its good to share the trail with friends.... man or beast.
    Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Great trip report. I love that area of VT. It so beautiful and green. Glad you had fun.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Some more pictures of the trip.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Wow rain or not looks like a great trip. Definitely some fine looking hiking beasts you have there. Liking my camo Superfly so it was nice to see those camo tarps! Nice and dark inside for a late morning sleep!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast