Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Nylon wieght?

Went to a Hancocks to pick up some fabric to play with. But I have a couple questions.

How do you tell the weight, I got what seemed like the lightest. I bought 5 yards, all of it weighs 428 g's, it's 60" wide. The label on the bolts was not very helpful and the ladies there were a little stressed it seemed... maybe just the end of a long day for them.

I also forgot to ask if it was down proof or calendared? Is there any way to tell?

Do you think the material need to be down proof even for the primaloft synthetic down?
    "truth is uncontainable, and inexpressible. It neither is nor is not.
    This unformulated principle is the foundation of the different systems of all the sages."
    Diamond Sutra

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    From what I've read down proof is a necessity for primaloft but I would let someone with the experience tell you better. More than likely if your nylon is ripstop, it's probably 1.9 but once again I am not a math whiz so I couldn't tell you. Good luck with whatever kind of quilt it is and post pictures on how you did it. I plan on making a syn uq pretty soon.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    DD Tarp 3x3
    Insulation
    GarQuilt/Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Calendared would have a distinctive grid pattern to it. I recently got some rip stop nylon from Hancock's as well. And you are right, not much help on the bolt label or from the ladies there. I am guessing though that the rip stop is 1.5 - 1.9 as I have a double layer WB Traveler and the double layer hammock I made this past weekend seems a bit heavier.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    The ripstop nylon carried at Hancocks is 1.9 and calendared. Therefore Down proof.

You can tell if nylon is calendared by if it has a shiny side. that is the side which passed over the heated rollers, thus calendaring it and causing it to be "down proof". If in doubt of the weight of the fabric just figure the surface area in inches and divide by 1296 to determine how many square yards you have then weight it. Take that wieght in ounces and divide by the number of square yards you have.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    Calendared would have a distinctive grid pattern to it.
    The grid pattern is what causes the ripstop properties, not the calendaring. The shiny side of the fabric is calendared, created by passing the fabric over a hot roller causing the fibers to fuse together.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    HH Expedition, DIY
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for the replies...

After posting I did the math and got 1.8... and it is calendared. The learning process continues...

I'm bought this to play with and make a TQ with, and primarily practice so I don't screw up any 7d material later....
    This unformulated principle is the foundation of the different systems of all the sages."
    Diamond Sutra

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    As I have stated before... retail general fabric stores are not at all concerned about the weight of the fabric. That is just simply a non-issue for their customers. If buying fabric of a specific weight is important to you you are better off buying from one of the fine vendors represented on the forums as they do the research and know how to get what our special niche market wants. Joanne, Hancocks and the other chain retail stores do not have the information we want in this niche nor do I think they should be expected to. For the vast majority of fabric users "top" "bottom" "upholstery" and olther generic terms are more than sufficient.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    DD Tarp 3x3
    Insulation
    GarQuilt/Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    The grid pattern is what causes the ripstop properties, not the calendaring. The shiny side of the fabric is calendared, created by passing the fabric over a hot roller causing the fibers to fuse together.
    Too many thoughts going on at one time. Thanks for the correction.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, DIY
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    RR, In part I agree with you, and I really did not expect them to know weight etc, but thought the info maybe on the tag or some other way to locate it.

I know that many people work in businesses in which they have no interest. But in specialty stores I do expect most the people to have a basic knowledge of the things they cater too.

I was going to order from one of the HF folks but since we were heading to were there was a Hancocks and my daughter, wife both needed stuff too I rode along.
    Diamond Sutra

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ciphoto View Post
    I know that many people work in businesses in which they have no interest. But in specialty stores I do expect most the people to have a basic knowledge of the things they cater too.
    That's not the issue as much as what constitutes the "basic knowledge" you are talking about. Having sewn both gear and garments and being married to a professional seamstress who is also a quilter I can tell you fabric weight is a complete non-issue and in no way constitutes "basic knowledge" for their primary customer base. For the most part even the manufacturers don't worry about fabric weight per se but deal in what is known as "denier" which is measurement of the thread the fabric is made from. That is the industry standard, not the weight. Just like most labels do not include highly technical data that does not mean anything to the general consumer, fabric bolts don't include that technical information at the retail level because it simply is not an important issue to the primary retail customer.

In the niche markets I think it behooves the customer to be able to identify that information themselves rather than expect the store personnel to supply it. In chain stores the only place that information is likely even available would be the buyers office. Even then, it might not be considered "important" information.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast