Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    I would like to know where the camp is too. The distance will determine what time I have to leave. If I get a navigator they will be leaving even earlier. I really don't want to hike an unfamiliar trail in the dark.

Swingblade - Thanks for "planning" on doing a prehike. Maybe it needs to be an impromptu hike so things will fall in place. (p.s. Happy 27th)
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    BMBH / WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    GH Incub/JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    I would like to know where the camp is too
    No worries, we'll get it figured out. Dejoha, most likely I will be going in with you on Thur which gives you a ride to the trail head. For those hoofing FR530 to the trailhead behind us need only water for the FR as a water bob will left in my truck.

Another consideration is the trail reports regarding "good" camp sites are given by ground dwellers.
    The older I get the better I used to be. Superhero status is near.

I will not be able to make it.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Okay, I guess this means I don't have to worry about bringing 2 sets of insulation! Maybe next time xCarbonSteelx.

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben,12x8.5
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Wopi,Togl,TreHugr
    Hey everyone this trip sounds really nice It would be fun to come on Friday I know I am working so it looks as if I would probably be on my own hoofing from the designated parking area and would mean that from there to the camp area is out of hiking distance for my boys since they usually go 3 to 5 miles depending on difficulty. Sounds as if most guys will make a Friday and Saturday trip and some might stay Saturday, Sunday. If who's planning on going could simply post when they plan to go and if they could help someone get to the trail head. That would help to organize whose going when, and if they have a vehicle to transport some poor guy like me. This will let everyone know who is scheduling to go on who to contact. I would be interested in a ride with my two boys early Saturday and head down the trail. I could simply meet them at the parking area near the trail. Otherwise I will make a Fri-Sun weekend on my own thank you. Has anyone considered attracting more attention of other Arizona hangers so we could have a large group showing. Guess if you haven't already contact your buddy list.

Hammock
    wbbb 1.7 dbl /traveler 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    camo superfly/ BMJ
    Insulation
    HG down
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    almost missed it! my 20th anniverery is that weekend! wont be making the hang. But I will live to see another!

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Good luck, Others! We'll catch you on the next one!

Hammock
    BMBH / WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    GH Incub/JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    Finally made the scout trip. Sorry no pictures or video.

To start, this is a drop dead gorgeous hike. Fall colors are always a treat in AZ & I suspect there will be some left a week or so from now. The first part of the hike is fairly easy, the second half is strenuous and care must be taken as the terrain becomes technical. I consider myself a slower hiker and it took me 3hrs to hike 4 or so miles & the same back out.

At about 3-4 miles camp/hang spots are prevalent with several fire rings & downed trees for large group sitting. Massive Arizona Pines up to 3 ft across & 100ft+ high are everywhere including fallen across the trail along with Ponderosa's. Not much sun gets through along this stretch due to both the towering trees & canyon walls.

I got a late start & I did not cover as much ground as I had hoped so at about the 4mile mark with the sun down over the canyon wall I camped, time 4:30pm. I'm having some issues with my new pack and I was drained. Figured I would go the remaining mile or two in the morning when I was refreshed. Accept for occasional jets overhead & wind rustling through the tree tops, peacefully quite. I saw no water here. It got down into the 30's but mosquitoes were out late afternoon, early evening.

After breaking camp I headed to what appeared like another drop to the canyon floor but after a dozen steps decided I was too beat up & decided to head back out. I will make that last mile or so in the future but not this time. I suggest making camp at this 3-4 mile stretch then scouting the remaining trail with a lightened load. I was alone & did not feel like stashing my gear and as mentioned didn't feel like doing it loaded.

There is some stagnant water sources in rock pools/gulches but mostly in the first half of the hike. Filtering & sterilizing necessary. I'm sorry I didn't make it all the way but this hike really tore me up. Knees did alright but hips & back are shot.
    The older I get the better I used to be. Superhero status is near.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Swingblade, thanks for checking the site out! I am so excited to get down there!

I say we hit that 3-mile-mark to camp. That sounds perfect.

If my book shipment makes it in time, I'll bring a few with me.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    Swingblade, Thanks for the report. Looks like I will be packing water.
    I'm flying solo and plan on being there around noon or so. What type of trail markers are you planning on using for the group? I don't want to cruise in to another group site when they aren't expecting anyone.
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast