JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    if you mean on this tarp...
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/P9030064.JPG
    yeah, the tabs (red grosgrain) were sewed right into the seams.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    A lot of tarps put pull tabs on the ridge line seam for hanging options. They have always worked well for me.

Another thought: someone, somewhere on the forums mentioned the C3 tape they got from someplace. If you didn't want to sew the patch and maybe create some weak points, maybe using the C3 tape would work for the patch. Put the patch on the inside of the tarp so that the pull tab is pulling it tighter to the tarp. If the C3 tape is really good maybe sew the pull tab to the patch and then use the C3 tape to stick the patch and pull tab to the tarp. I wonder if the C3 is good enough to hold??
    good question. it very well may be.
    it looked pretty substantial from the description & demonstration on the video.

Images
    c3 won't stick to sil, you'd have to use some other fabric for your tarp, nothing sticks to sil.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Thanks for the thread everyone. This has been very helpful! I'm ordering 4 of the micro grip clips to experiment on where I want the tie outs. I may then sew some pull tabs. Or keep using the grip clips if I don't have any problems.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    Thanks for the thread everyone. This has been very helpful! I'm ordering 4 of the micro grip clips to experiment on where I want the tie outs. I may then sew some pull tabs. Or keep using the grip clips if I don't have any problems.
    Let me know how you like them

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    cavediver2,

I got the micro grip clips in the mail today. Haven't tested them outside yet, but I think they are a go -- but only if I use a swatch of latex to keep them in place.

When I only use the micro grip clips on my JRB sil tarp, the clips slide around when you give it a tug. But I cut a square out of a throw-away latex glove and used it with the clip and it didn't budge at all even with a hard tug. Thank goodness for HF for that tip!

Without the latex, they are pretty worthless on the sil tarp.

But only time will tell out on the trail with a long windy night . . . but I am cautiously optimistic. I'm definitely going to put them on my tarp. I plan to use them until they fail on me. If they fail, then I'll sew tie-outs. But I'm glad to have them so I can experiment with different tie-out spots. So no regrets on this purchase.

HC

Images
    the grip clips won't fail, if you mean break, they might slide. if anything they will damage the sil, stretching it out most likely, i've heard of them opening up small holes in sil if they stretch the fabric too much. most likely it will be cosmetic damage to your tarp in the form of those spots getting stretched out and always being loose.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    cavediver2,

I got the micro grip clips in the mail today. Haven't tested them outside yet, but I think they are a go -- but only if I use a swatch of latex to keep them in place.

When I only use the micro grip clips on my JRB sil tarp, the clips slide around when you give it a tug. But I cut a square out of a throw-away latex glove and used it with the clip and it didn't budge at all even with a hard tug. Thank goodness for HF for that tip!

Without the latex, they are pretty worthless on the sil tarp.

But only time will tell out on the trail with a long windy night . . . but I am cautiously optimistic. I'm definitely going to put them on my tarp. I plan to use them until they fail on me. If they fail, then I'll sew tie-outs. But I'm glad to have them so I can experiment with different tie-out spots. So no regrets on this purchase.

HC

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    the grip clips won't fail, if you mean break, they might slide. if anything they will damage the sil, stretching it out most likely, i've heard of them opening up small holes in sil if they stretch the fabric too much. most likely it will be cosmetic damage to your tarp in the form of those spots getting stretched out and always being loose.
    i had wondered if that might not happen over time.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images

Yes, by fail, I meant sliding around. I know what you mean about stretching and the small holes. I think the latex will keep this from happening. I think the latex decreases the amount of stress on the sil.

But with this discussion, I think I will use the grip clips to experiment with different tieout positions and then sew permanent tieouts where needed/wanted. I won't leave the grip clips on long term.

Thanks much for the comments.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Never had a problem with that.

But then I take them off when I take the tarp down so they don't stay on or in one spot for longer than overnight.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12