Tarp
    Kelty 9x9
    Insulation
    DIY Poncho/GoLite
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle Strap
    Images

Do I Need A Tarp Ridgeline?

I'm new to the whole hammock thing and learning as I go. Sorry I have posted this in the wrong place but................I have a question which I am sure folks here can help me with.

I use a Kelty 9x9 tarp over my WBBB and tie off each end with separate lines using knot bones. Do I need a ridge-line hung from tree to tree to hang the tarp over or can I just tie it off on the tarp loops? Will the top of the tarp "sag" during the night from moisture or dew without a ridge-line?

I do know I need shock cord for the ground tie-offs to absorb flexing tension but is it also necessary for the ridge-line?

I'm looking for the best, easiest to set up, fastest and most compact method for pitching my tarp.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!!!

Thank you
    ~Adventure Before Dementia~

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I have a full ridgeline, but many just tie off the ends. I think tieing off the ends will meet all of the objectives you listed

Hammock
    Speer DIY, WBBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Tying off the ends is fine - many folks (including myself) don't use a continuous ridgeline. Check out

Also, you don't necessarily need to use shock cord for the tie outs, though you certainly can if you want. There are a lot of options - you can use simple mason's line from the hardware store, spectra cord (http://zpacks.com/accessories/spectra_cord.shtml, etc.

Welcome to the addiction....
    - Norm

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL Lefty
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S
    Insulation
    HG Incu-Burrow
    Suspension
    War Buckle
    Images
    I also tie each end separately, using Dutch's tarp flyz on each end, works great!

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Tarp
    12'x9'
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The advantage of the ridgeline for a tarp is that you can quickly hang it and then slide it along the ridge line to center the tarp where your want it, without having to adjust both ends.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    I've always used a continuous ridgeline, even before I got into hammocks and tarped on the deck.

I find I can get a taughter (sp?) pitch with a truckers hitch/dutch flyz/fig-9 which then holds better in heavy wind, I also like the added protection from falling branches. How much extra protection it provides I'm not sure, it's probably minimal but it gives me extra peace of mind when the storms come in.
    Attaching the tarp to the line with prusik knots gives you more opportunity to centre the tarp over the hammock than lines off the end.

Hammock
    DD Travel Hammock
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by lustreking View Post
    The advantage of the ridgeline for a tarp is that you can quickly hang it and then slide it along the ridge line to center the tarp where your want it, without having to adjust both ends.
    Further to this post, if you make up a ridge line you can add a prussik loop to each end and attach with mini biners to the tarp. This is an ultra fast way of setting up, and getting the tarp much taughter without loads of adjustment.

I prefer the diamond configuration for this... I tie up the ridgeline, drape my tarp diagonally over it, clip on my carbiners and tension them. I now have just two guy ropes to stake out et voilą ... sorted!!!

I have the DD Travel hammock so I can hook my bug net onto this ridgeline, but if your hammock is open it gives you a place to hang stuff or attach a mesh bag or whatever...

To pack away I bind my tarp in the ridgeline, thus making it far more compact to stow in my pack.
    cheers
    Gareth

Hammock
    DD Travel Hammock
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    I've always used a continuous ridgeline, even before I got into hammocks and tarped on the deck.

I find I can get a taughter (sp?) pitch with a truckers hitch/dutch flyz/fig-9 which then holds better in heavy wind, I also like the added protection from falling branches. How much extra protection it provides I'm not sure, it's probably minimal but it gives me extra peace of mind when the storms come in.
    Attaching the tarp to the line with prusik knots gives you more opportunity to centre the tarp over the hammock than lines off the end.
    Hey Shewie.. were we writing at the same time saying pretty much the same thing or what?
    cheers
    Gareth
    PS: taughter is right!!!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Given that tarp I'd say using the ends would be fine. Continuos ridgelines rock though!

• + New Posts