Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    homemade hand knotted
    Tarp
    Neo
    Images

Suggestion for a new section

After looking at the "Groceries?" thread, I wondered if a trail food section would be appropriate. Obviously there are others here, like myself, who are just starting out and need a little help in the what food to pack area.
    I canoe but have not hiked much, if you don't count four years of Army service. The Army experience has probably been more of a deterent to my getting out there as anything.
    MREs were in their infancy then and canned rations on there way out. Neither, in my opinion, were very palatable. That and a heavy rucksack and uncomfortable heavy boots have did little to encourage future incursions.
    I have already picked up a lot from you guys and think that this may be what it takes to get me off my duff and out there again.
    We have seen a little of this happening already and I have found it extremely helpful.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    There has been talk of expanding the categories in the past, but the powers that be really want to keep this site focused specifically on hammocks and not backpacking in general. As such, the existing 'non-hammock' categories were a compromise.

I would suggest you look at some other forums for more info about food on the trail:

The Cooking and Food Forum at WhiteBlaze

The Backcountry Kitchen Forum at Practical Backpacking

and of course the great Freezer Bag Cooking site
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Ditto what AS said.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod
    I have to say that for the most part...ifn's it aint Hammockin...It aint happenin...LOL....I do greatly appreciate all the help EVERYONE has given me here on Hammock Forums...Thus the reason I posted the Groceries thread in the Non Hammock area. I have to say that the Freezer Bag Cooking site is a blast...and many of the ideas that have been shared here are also excellent...Thanks again for all the help.
    Alex Williams
    Acts 10:13 "Arise Peter, Kill and Eat."
    Job 14:15 "Call upon Me and I shall answer you."
    Williams Custom Calls

Hammock
    HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    find the backpack cooking section in Backpacker forums

www.backpacker.com/community/
    Last edited by riverkeeper; 04-19-2008 at 03:09.
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i have to say, i have mixed feelings on how far our discussion could spread out here.

on the one hand, i feel kinda like i'm w/ my extended family here & i find myself sometimes wishing i could just ask you guys & gals about other stuff rather than going to less familiar, less friendly forums.

but on the other hand, i do understand that if we continue to spread our focus, at some point we'll begin to forget the main purpose of this site.
    and when people (newbie or seasoned hammockers) come here looking for good, strait forward info on hammocks, they may have to wade through a lot of other stuff before they ever have a chance of finding what they came here for.

people already get overwhelmed sometimes by all the hammock talk (including all the DIY discussion) before they find the basic info they are looking for.
    hopefully we'll keep looking for ways to simplify the basic info (hammock videos for one thing).

so i guess we should keep our focus here on hammocks & things directly related to the hammock like attrol & justjeff proposed when this site was being conceived<G>.

but we can still make mention of, or ask for references, to other stuff from the people here at HF. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    3 gathered ends
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    How about making the Food section just a listing of links to all of the above and any others that members feel would be useful?
    This way we don't have to get off track & can still direct others to other areas of interest & needs.
    "Courage Grows Strong at a Wound" - Stewart Clan Motto

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    How about making the Food section just a listing of links to all of the above and any others that members feel would be useful?
    This way we don't have to get off track & can still direct others to other areas of interest & needs.
    could be a possibility but lets wait until justjeff gets back & see what he thinks.
    attrol can make changes if he sees fit, but i certainly don't want to be making changes that could be going against jeff's hopes & plans, especially while he's away serving our country.

in the mean time, we can just make references here in the "non-hammock" forum.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Search some of the old threads where this was talked about. There are some really good points. What I can remember goes along with what Slowhike is saying.

This is the only truely hammocking message board out there. There is the yahoo list, but that works a little different. There are a ton of hiking and backpacking ones out there. If we start letting other topics in, we loose that nich. Then nothing is setting this board appart from all the others.

I think all that opening this up would do is make the information in one more spot. In the process this board would take a huge hit. I think most of us follow more than 1 board. Making a huge confusing mess if all hiking questions are going to get asked on multiple boards. Yes I find it anoying to see the same thing posted in different places. The record I saw was something talking up there thing on 4 different boards.

I think we should go back the other way. Going back to only hammock talk. In all the starting threads helpful hints were dropped when it got too bad. If we let one other topic in then all of them are going to come in. Plus then it wouldn't be a hammock forum and the name would have to be changed.
    Last edited by Coffee; 04-20-2008 at 11:53.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Stock Claytor
    Insulation
    Big Agnes System
    Images
    I am going to have to go along with everyone else. WhiteBlaze & PracticalBackpacking have ample food boards. I do not see a need to dilute what we have here. I like catching the occassional food related thread, but prefer it to be just that. When I come to hammock fourms I know it's going to be all hammocks...all the time. Sorry couldn't resist that one.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast