Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noob Alert!

Noob Alert!

Since this is my first year at the hammock camping thing, and it's REALLY starting to grow on me, I'm looking to bring my mountain bike up (assuming the weather holds) to Grand Island in michigan's U.P. The idea is to explore as much as I can over the weekend, and take lots of pictures (bringing my heavy-as-sin d90, so the weight savings of the hammock is key). Forecast is currently calling for a 40 degree clear, crispy night, and I have the following at my disposal:

sleeping bag: http://www.amazon.com/Suisse-Sport-A.../dp/B001TR7QZA nice WARM synthetic bag, was too warm to sleep with it fully closed a few weeks ago when it only dipped into the low to mid 50s (slept in my hammock of course)

sleeping bag liner:
    http://www.amazon.com/Slumberjack-Sl...7182341&sr=1-1
    I'm a warm sleeper and have been known to sweat like a pig at night, I used just this when I did my first solo overnight hammock trip, temps stayed well into the 60s the whole night, and I was sufficiently warm, though I did pitch my tarp pretty low to the ground that night.

pad uno:
    http://www.backcountry.com/stoic-ltw...ng-pad-regular
    got this for a steal when it was on steep and cheap, so I couldn't refuse. doesn't like to stay put in a hammock, but it does fit in my sleeping bag

pad numero 2:
    http://www.amazon.com/Wenzel-Convolu...7182500&sr=1-2
    nice and wide, and the waffle cut should help it conform to the hammock a bit... also fits inside the bag, but because of the width (24") things seem to get a little bit claustrophobic.

What say you? I'd rather not bring it ALL, but is there a combination of stuff here you'd use for the forecast / location?

Hammock
    WB BBXLC and DIY
    Tarp
    UP
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    30 DEGREES
    if your in a hammock i would say just bring the sleeping bag and which ever pad is lighter and more flexible. I would even use the inflatable one without any air in it and if your worried you wont be warm enough then keep a 2 dollar space blanket handy. They may be cheep but they work very well! Hope this helps.

good advice, thanks! I will probably bring my liner too, just because it's nice to use as a pillow. I always have a space blanket with me, the weight / usefulness ratio is too good not to carry!

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    I have slept in a sleeping bag and a liner in the hammock before, but I have found that getting into both is an incredibly challenging experience (temps down to the 20s ). Obviously it is what you have, and that is fine, but just be prepared.

If one day you have the opportunity to move into top quilts (in lieu of sleeping bags), you will find that they are really much easier to get into and out of. But that is somewhere in your future. Enjoy your hang!
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

I know, I wanna check into quilts, all in good time

So, is there anything close to a consensus as to which pad would be warmer?

So I just noticed that the hammock I have (grand trunks ultralight) is on sale on amazon right now, for 12 bucks! With prime shipping, I can get it overnighted for $4! seriously thinking about buying a 2nd to rig up a simple double layer setup, and just slide the pad in between. Added bonus, I'll have an extra hammock for the mrs. when she decides to join me tempting!

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered a second one for myself. Hanging double with a pad in-between is something I will test next week

Let me know how the doubling up goes - My 2nd GT UL is on the way right now and should be here tuesday (gotta love amazon prime...).

I had to postpone my trip, but hopefully I can make it up to pictured rocks or grand island next weekend. I did manage to test out the pad inside sleeping bag - at 39 degrees I was nice and warm with a light fleece and regular cotton pants, I think this setup will work out just fine, I don't have plans to be out much colder than that (yet!)

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    Second GTUL just arrived. Method: Hang the first hammock (mine has Amsteel suspension lines and a fixed hammock ridgeline). USe the attached steel hooks of the second hammock to sling it underneath the first. Tuck the carry bag of the top hammock into that of the bottom hammock and pull up the cinch cord (of the bottom sack) to trap the two hammocks together. Go to side opposite the carry sacks and straighten the sides. Lift the top hammock and insert the pad (my pad is 48"x6" minicell). Lie in hammock(s) . Very comfortable, pad does not wrinkle or move. Looks as if it will work well. Will sleep in it tonight to test, then will try with WW 72"x20" blue pad as most people have one that size.

cool idea, thanks! Not sure I'll really need the insulative properties this weekend, as the forecast is calling for lows in the 50s (which is insane this time of year) but you won't hear me complaining, with the bugs being gone. But I'm sure I'll be using this setup soon enough

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast