Traveler SL 1.1 w/ diy tulle bugnet
    Tarp
    Z-packs cuben
    Insulation
    BurrowTQ &BreezeUQ
    Suspension
    dynaglide whoopie

Byer of Maine Madera Hammock Stand quick review

I purchased a Byer of Maine Madera Hammock Stand from hayneedle.com for $49.00 with free shipping and it came today approximately 5 days after ordering. I have a few trees in my front yard, but none of them are in a position for adequate hanging and with this stand I have quite a few new options for hanging. It is a fairly intuitive design and something I was originally planning to make for i'm sure a few bucks less but it is well made and I don't regret the purchase. The legs are both two parts that lock together in a metal joint and feel sturdy while making it easily packable for the car or in my case the smallest nook of usable space left in my gear-closet. The rope is strong and tightens easily and it comes with a GIGANTIC stake that went through the soft-earth of my saturated lawn very easily with a rubber mallet and stayed secure while hanging. All in all, it took around 2 minutes to actually set-up the stand for the first time with another 2 or 3 minutes of playing around and adjusting things to get it completely secure

The feel -- i must admit that at first I was a little skeptical as it doesn't exactly look strong, but after a few minor adjustments I was hanging in relative comfort and the anxiety of plummeting a foot and a half into wet grass subsided. I am only 150lb's, but it supposedly supports up to 450lb's and I don't doubt it could hold a substantial weight. For the hammock set-up, I simply attached my tree trap to the carabiner that came with the stand, cinched the supporting rope and climbed in after adjusting my whoopies. This was the first time I hung my new 1.1sl traveler so it was pretty exciting on a few levels.

I recommend the product for those who have 1 tree and want to hang!

Images
    Thanks for the report, I have often considered getting one of these. Any pics?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Z-packs cuben
    Insulation
    BurrowTQ &BreezeUQ
    Suspension
    dynaglide whoopie

pics

I got a little rain-spooked as it started drizzling and thundering about 20 minutes after I set-up the hammock so i took it down pretty promptly. Going to take some pictures tomorrow and i will post them up.

edit: 9/29 -- STILL raining here in NJ so maybe pictures tomorrow!
    Last edited by jay_nj; 09-29-2011 at 20:10.

Hammock
    Caravan Ultra Lite
    Images
    Saved the 50 bucks and made one.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    Saved the 50 bucks and made one.
    Jafo; could you share how you made yours and pictures please? I have been looking at these myself, but it seems like a steep price, especially if you need to purchase for 3 hammocks to hang off one tree.

That aside, thanks so much for the review. That is very helpful, as I've been wondering about these stands for quite some time now. Really glad to hear that they are sturdy.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250,Original Hennessy,WBBB
    Tarp
    HammockGear Cuben
    Images
    I second the request for pictures from both parties, and instructions for the home brew set! I would love to make one, but wasn't sure how I wanted to hang the hammock from the stand. The breakdown legs would be nice, but I'll just have to settle for less portability and storage-ability.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Z-packs cuben
    Insulation
    BurrowTQ &BreezeUQ
    Suspension
    dynaglide whoopie

Here is the whole thing (mallet and lighter not included for scale). All is pretty good quality though the wood could probably benefit from a quick lacquer or sealant if you wanted to leave it outside permanently.

Legs both break down into two parts, this is the connecting joint.

The stand is not in the exact proper angle (the legs are supposed to be tipped back at a 60 degree angle) in the picture as it was a bit staged. Yesterday we managed to get 4 inches of rain in the matter of 5 hours and though the grass was saturated on the previous test, this time it was down-right impossible to get the stand to function. I hammered the massive stake in, cinched the rope to get the desired angle and got in the hammock. I quickly felt the hammock lose tension so i stood up and the foot long+ stake managed to pull up most of the wet soil and grass with it in a matter of seconds. Tried it again a different spot and again the stake came out in the same fashion.

So with a very loose or saturated soil, the stake DOES NOT HOLD.. i repeat does not hold! If you have a compact soil like any typical lawn with grass and it is not moisture loaded it should function pretty well.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Thanks for the pictures, update....and the warning too

• + New Posts