JBizzle Bird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Straps

Question Amsteel Dye

I just bought amsteel to make my whoopie slings. I bought it in black and after only a few minutes of working with it, my hands were already blackend by the dye. Do all the colors of amsteel do this? Is there a natural color offered? If so, what is the natural color of amsteel? I'm guessing it's the light gray stuff.

Has anyone had any problems with the dye damaging your gear or leaking dye onto your hammock?

What about after it gets wet and your store it in the same stuff sack as your hammock? What are you guys experiencing?

Thank you in advance for your replies,
    JBizzle
    http://baxpax.org

Missouri Backpacking and Hiking

Hammock
    JBizzle Bird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by lymphocytosis View Post
    In my experience, the "black" is the only color that does it. I've worked with blue, red, orange, etc., and the black is the only one that leaves my hands looking like I just changed the chain on my bike.

I haven't had any problems with it wet, but maybe some of the other guys will chime in about that.
    Thank you. No problems with it dying your hammock or anything though? I really wish I would have known this before I bought it. I really don't want any of my gear left with black residue on it. Maybe sil is different than the parachute material of my hammock too though. Seems like sil might resist staining better than the parachute material that I"m using.
    JBizzle

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    All of the colors of amsteel will bleed some dye onto you if you work with enough of it. The grey is the one that will do it the least, but none of them are bad enough to stain your gear. A little water and some soap if it's really bad will clean your hands. Black is the worst of the bunch, but Smurf Hands was coined not long after amsteel blue got popular as a suspension option. Yellow also seems to not bleed as bad as some of the others but in it's natural state the fibers are white, part of the dye is a coating that helps to reduce friction in some applications.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    I have had ZingIt turn my hands yellow when I was making some loops and shackles. I just thought the oils from my skin probably had some effect on that. It hasn't run when wet, though.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    DIY/Down&ENO Vulca
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    My fingers turned green whilst makin my slings. but it washed right off...a little green dye would be the least of the worries on my equipment...good ol carolina dirt seems to be the biggest problem

Hammock
    JBizzle Bird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Straps
    I'd rather not discolor my week old hammock if I can help it. I'm just worried it might not come off of porous fabric as easy as it does off our skin.
    JBizzle

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBizzle View Post
    I'd rather not discolor my week old hammock if I can help it. I'm just worried it might not come off of porous fabric as easy as it does off our skin.
    I hear that. Maybe you could wash the Amsteel black in very hot soapy water in a bucket. Then maybe the dye that is not bonded to the fibers will wash out and you would be OK. I dunno, but it might work.

Hammock
    JBizzle Bird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Straps
    I was thinking of at least rinsing it off and wiping it down with a rag. Good idea.
    JBizzle

Images
    Be very careful with the very hot water... Your hot water tank may well produce water thats hot enough to degrade the strength of your Amsteel. 80C (175F) is beyond the safe limit for Spectra/Dyneema products.

A good rule is if its uncomfortably hot to touch its probably hotter than is good for your Amsteel. And if you can't remain comfortably in contact with the water/item for extended periods of time its definitely in the relam of taking a risk.

This is the single biggest argument against Amsteel and one we have to be aware of because the temperature is so low.

Beyond that, its fabulous stuff.
    So many projects, So little time....

Hammock
    JBizzle Bird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapt View Post
    Be very careful with the very hot water... Your hot water tank may well produce water thats hot enough to degrade the strength of your Amsteel. 80C (175F) is beyond the safe limit for Spectra/Dyneema products.

A good rule is if its uncomfortably hot to touch its probably hotter than is good for your Amsteel. And if you can't remain comfortably in contact with the water/item for extended periods of time its definitely in the relam of taking a risk.

This is the single biggest argument against Amsteel and one we have to be aware of because the temperature is so low.

Beyond that, its fabulous stuff.
    I agree, but there shouldn't be too many applications where the rope is exposed to temperatures above 175 naturally. I'm probably just going to end up wiping it down with a wet rag. I'm already noticing the more I play with it that less and less dye is rubbing off on my hands each night.
    JBizzle

• + New Posts