CaveCreek, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryW View Post
    Here are a couple of links that should answer any questions:

Yellow River State Forest

Hiking Map

Parking is at the headquarters. There is a self-registration kiosk in the parking lot. There aren't any fees for backcountry camping.

Jerry
    The main parking lot is at the HQ. You can park many places within the park if you want to shorten or lengthen your hike or just want to start at a different spot.

There is a parking area for Brown's Hollow that is marked. It will put you about a 1/3 of a mile from the campsite. Get on the firetower road by the HQ and head south until you see the sign.

Hefferns Hill camp also has a parking area that will put you about a 1/3 of a mile away. Get on the Donahue Rd and head south, turn right before you cross the bridge. Lots of space to park there.

You can park at the firetower if you want a 10 minute walk to the John Schultz site and there's a parking area right off the main road that will put you within 10 minutes of the Glen Wendel site.

Have fun out there. Hope to be able to meet many of you at the November hang.

Randy
    “Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared” - Jack Handy

Hammock
    Darien UL, Ridgerunner, DIY
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ,TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    so is it decided.... Brown's Hollow campsite for the hang. was a time decided to meet in the HQ parking lot or just meet at the campsite?
    "nature speaks in the silence between words"
    www.mustexplore.blogspot.com

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag

free hang pass

I'm looking at this hang. I will be in Rochester MN that week and could come to the hang on the way home.
    That is if my wife does not go with me to Rochester.
    Time will tell.

If I make this one, that would be 5 hangs in 2011
    Arkansas, Colorado, Minnesota, Nebraska, and Iowa.
    Do I need to get a life or what/
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Walking Bear View Post

Sounds like you have a pretty awesome one to get out that much in so many places.

Looks like less people are coming up for hunting, so I'll probably fill tags the first weekend. So, it's looking a lot better for this Minnesotan to shoot on down there.

Fronkey

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben,Warbonnet
    Insulation
    CaveCreek, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Walking Bear View Post
    I'm looking at this hang. I will be in Rochester MN that week and could come to the hang on the way home.
    That is if my wife does not go with me to Rochester.
    Time will tell.

I'm liking your life although I'm enjoying mine also. I haven't hit any group hangs but I have had about 30 nights out this year.

HY
    “Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared” - Jack Handy

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double, and DIY
    Tarp
    Bushcraft USA
    Insulation
    woobie and whatnot
    Suspension
    webbing
    Well...Doody, Mojoe, Ice Man, Myself and my Son all had a nice visit to Yellow River this weekend. I can attest that the area is beautiful, and a great place to gather. We have November locked in to be back. Hope we can have a great turnout! Thanks to Hammock Forums for bringing us all together. This was a first real Hammock hang outing for my son and me. It won't be the last.

It was a great time and the weather was perfect. I can't wait to go back next month!

I camped out this past Friday and Saturday night at YRSF. It was pretty warm out for October, but at least it wasn't raining. Saturday night I was joined by three members from the Hammockforums. It's always great to see how other people set up and use their gear and bounce ideas off each other.

I drove over to Yellow River State Forest Friday morning. My plan was to bike around and explore the horse trails before bikepacking up to my campsite for the weekend.

A little creek crossing on the horse trail, about a half mile into my ride. It didn't look deep, but it soaked my short wool socks and my haggard old checkered Vans.

The gravel roads leading up to the scenic overlooks are steep and long.

The leaves are peak color this weekend in north east Iowa.

I brought my GPS along to track mileage and elevation climbed for the weekend. I had 18 miles riding around on Friday.

Since it's Iowa, your bound to run into some corn sooner or later. I did grab a piece of corn husk to try my firesteel on. It lit easily!

Bike of choice for horse trails and dirt roads is the Surly Pugsley!

Brought my Sven saw for firewood processing.

Used a sheet bend to join two pieces of 550 cord to extend a tarp tie out.

Home for the weekend. BCUSA 10 x 10 tarp over a Grand Trunk ultralight hammock. DIY underquilt made from a poncho liner.

It was very windy Friday and my small aluminum tarp stakes were pulling out of the ground. No problem for a seasoned bushcrafter. Just made some big wooden stakes.

Braided ridgeline, toggle, and taught line hitch. I ended up adding another loop to all of my taught line hitches to help keep them from slipping in the strong wind.

Plenty of wood gathered for the night.

Makin' stakes.

Batoning wood with the kukri.

The wind kept blowing my shavings away so I switched to feather sticks instead.

Lit scrapings with a firesteel and added feather sticks.

Boiled up water straight out of the creek to re-hydrate my supper.

View from one of the overlooks.

Collected cedar bark to use for my tinder Saturday night.

Did I mention the leaves were at peak color!

One of the hiking trails had signs for the different trees growing in the area.

I tried out some of these microwave taters for breakfast Sunday morning. Just added boiling creek water. They were way better than the Mountain House eggs I had Saturday morning.

I can't wait to go back in a month and do it again!!!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Nice pics. And nice Pug. I thought about bringing my bike for a little trail riding, but I'm still undecided.

Which campsite(s) did you stay at?

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    Clark TX 250
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    Brown's Hollow was my first "hanging." Nice scenic drive over, and a good time meeting everyone. One of the women at work this morning asked if I had a good weekend. I said "yah. Went to a hanging" She said 'WHAT? You mean to tell me they still hang people here?" "Yup. 5 of us." "What horrible place is this?" (She's from Africa) I finally relented and told her its what hammock people call a get together. She's convinced I'm a terrible person. I can't quit giggling. It was a good time. Serenaded by at least 2 packs of coyotes, and what I'm sure was a carbide cannon that some farmers use to keep Geese away from the crops, but maybe to shut up the coyotes for a bit. Hope to do an encore some time.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast