Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

what tarp w/ ENO DoubleNest?

im really new to hammocking (3 days) and i went through a few hammocks before i stumbled onto the DoubleNest from Eagle's Nest Outfitters

i love this thing; im 6'4" and i can stretch out flat across the diagonal with room to spare

anyways the tarp i have now is a rain fly from an old Coleman tent i found on the sidewalk and its about 6" too long for the hammock and its shape sucks (its a rectangle); oh and it sags and bunches up on a tight ridgeline (first mod - ENO's dont come with a ridgeline for some reason)

EDIT2: Coleman fly is 9'7" x 6'4" which i guess isnt bad now that i measured it

can someone chime in with what tarps they use on their DoubleNest? if anyone else here actually uses it

im looking to get a camo tarp for Florida camping can someone maybe suggest one? im also undecided between hex and square shape

EDIT: the ENOs come with carabiners attached to both ends of the hammock and i want a fly that attaches to the ends of the hammock so that when you take the carabiners off the ropes you can just fold it up with the fly quickly, but the problem is that if the tarp ends at the carabiners i dont think that will provide enough coverage to keep the ends of the hammock dry; i cant think of another solution other than to chain another 2 carabiners on the ones i have; but i was thinking, would trying circles of rope in between the hammock to the carabiner work if the rope is strong enough or is that a bad idea? that way i can save the weight of using more carabiners (already really heavy...i should probably get aluminium ones); i know its a bad description here's a diagram lol

Tree>Carabiner>Rope Loop>Hammock<Rope Loop<Carabiner<Tree ;; with the tarp attaching at the carabiners where before the carabiners attached directly to the hammock loops and thus the tarp doesnt cover the ends sufficiently

anyways if someone can come up with a better solution it'd be much appreciated

also if im going to be camping in southern Florida should i just get a hennessy since a bugnet is pretty much essential there? using the ENO bugnet that hangs over the hammock seems overly complicated, but i really dont like the fact that you cant unzip the hennessy bugnet and i dont like the hennessy tarp and the entrance hole...those things changed my mind about getting one

but should i just do a zipper mod on a Hennessy with a hex fly and be done with it then?

thanks for suggestions
    Last edited by anarky321; 04-20-2008 at 15:59.

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    DIY 8x 10 silnylon
    Insulation
    50* p pod
    Images
    i have a double nest, and i am 6'5.

i would reccomend your tarp attaching completely independently of your hammock, straight to the trees.

i use an 8 by 10 sil nylon tarp with about 6 to 8 inch beaks on the end.

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro &amp; GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    Ditto to what Whitefoot hp said. I would hang the tarp separately. I have a hammock the is similar to a doublenest and I use the Kelty Noah 9. It worked great this weekend on my trip with neo and his boys at Mammoth Cave. It rain Friday night and off and on Saturday. Stayed nice and dry under the tarp.
    Chris

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Tarp shape and layout is largely a personal preference. There are several shapes available, square, rectangle, hex, asym... What you carry will largley depend on your hiking style and philisophy. I like to be able to have multiple pitch options so I build my tarps similar to the JRB 10 x 11tarp, straight cut on the ends and cat cut on the sides. I find this gives the best overall performance for taught and adaptability. The size will depend on your hiking style as well and how many people you take with you. I like bigger tarps because my son and I can fit under it and I find that others hangout under my tarp when we get holed up in rain for a couple of days. I like the freedom a larger tarp gives me.

Personally I like the ENO Gardian Bugnet, so much I built one of my own. I like the fact that it keeps the bugs off of the underside of the hammock. I treated my HH with Permethrine but I like the non-chemical approach better. I have several bugnet designs based on what other people have built here, the tube and the quarter weight being the other two I use the most. I also installed a zipper on my HH bugnet, it works great.

I can't tell you which tarp to get, but there are several tarp builders on here, JRB, McCat, Speer and others who build quality gear for hammocks; they would be my first choice.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 &amp; SierraSv
    Images
    I used a double hammock this winter with an 8' x 10' hung rectangularly and a Hennessey hex fly. Both worked fine.

It's a really, really bad idea to attach your tarp to your hammock for more than one reason, at least one of which is rather obvious (what do you do when you have to put the hammock up in the rain?), so I won't even address that issue.

well i was impatient so i went out and did it

i put in 7" long loops of rope (old shoelaces to be exact) on the hammock ends and the carabiners on the other end; the tarp works perfect like this (its 9' 7" long)..well not perfect it still scrunches up a bit in the middle but it works great and i adjusted my ridgeline (which also runs from biner to biner just like the tarp) so taught that it barely curves down when its staked down

it stakes down on up to 6 points not inluding the 2 hammock attachments and was working pretty good in 25mph winds right now

by moving the carabiners 1 ft 2" further apart i now have great coverage on the ends of the hammock and if i want to take the hammock off i just quickly unhook the stakes, unhook the two biners and roll the whole thing up (fly and hammock and ridgeline all roll up together and stay together)

now i have to think about how to make setup easier...eno slap straps? anyone use them?

thanks for the suggestions; im definitely going to get a camo tarp as soon as i decide what shape i want, but the coleman tarp will work for now; i duct-taped all the holes in it, i want to see how it works in the rain before i make my mind up about the shape

also, do you put your hammock side to the wind? or angle to the wind? side to the wind really pushes on the the tarp when its staked down low im thinking of angling the hammock in the future maybe 30 or 40 degrees..but then you also cant angle it so the sun hits either end..so many variables

how low off the ground do you hang? i just hung about 3" off the ground (its really flat) and i loved it (and in case those old dirty shoelaces arent as strong as i hope they are its not far to fall)

@Hogn8r - good point about the bottom of the hammock being exposed to mosquitos; im going to go grab the bugnet tomorrow at the same place i got the hammock try it out

how prevalent is it that the mosquitos bite through the bottom of the hennessy?

EDIT: wow i just found out they have DoubleNests in khaki/black and khaki/olive
    http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.c...t-hammock.html

which one is more stealthy? i need opinions
    Last edited by anarky321; 04-20-2008 at 18:36.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    The first time I used a HH I was in Iraq and I received several bites the first few nights; I found some spray Permethrine and gave everyting a good soaking and it seemed to get rid of the biters. I don't like the idea of soaking everythning in chemicals, but it did the job!

I think a thicker hammock (like a double bottom) would be better to ward off this, but I have never tried one so can't say for sure.

I htink Khaky/Olive would be stealthier, but either one would proly hide you pretty well, especially at night.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow &amp; Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by anarky321 View Post
    now i have to think about how to make setup easier...eno slap straps? anyone use them?
    I used ENO slap straps in the past and got rid of them about a year ago. They're made from nylon so they stretch like a mutha! Personally, I would recommend either polypro webbing from Speer Hammocks or polyester webbing from Starpworks with ring buckles or cinch buckles. Both have almost no stretch and are perfect for the task at hand. As for me, I use Strapworks polyester straps and ring buckles.

I've got the ENO DoubleNest in olive/khaki and it's rather stealthy for me. My son's is yellow/blue, so not so stealthy at all. Either way, the ENO DoubleNest is a great hammock. I love mine.

As far as tarps go, it's strictly a matter of personal preference. I have a Speer Winter Tarp and love it. Others like their JRB, MacCat, "Neo" tarps, etc. IMO, avoid the ENO DryFly tarp. I don't think it provides sufficient coverage, if you ask me. Their new ProFly seems to have more coverage, but I'm pretty happy with my Speer.

Hammock
    ENO Double &amp; HH Expedition
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images
    I also have the ENO Double.

I have removed the supplied biners (they're very heavy) and replaced them with a pair of descending rings on each end. Do a search of the site for rings. There is a thread that's a bazillion posts long. Or go to Jeff's site. He has the quick and dirty details there.

I tied a ridge line from ring set to ring set. This sets the sag the same every time. It's about 110" long

Overhead, I use a MacCat Deluxe. I have a forearm length from descending ring to the end of the tarp on each end. It's light enough and I have plenty of coverage with no worry of getting wet.

Underneath, I use a quilt. JRB or my DIY depending on the temp.

On top, I use the JRB or a fleece blanket depending on temperature.

I bought the ENO skeeter net, but will look at alternatives due to its weight. I may sew velcro onto the ENO and cut the net to match. Time will tell.

Okay, time for the disclaimer. This is my setup that I am refining. You will find what works for you. When you do, it's all good. Enjoy it!
    Peace,
    Joe

anyone try to use HH snakeskins on an ENO w/ or w/o a Bugnet?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast