Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ Top Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Great video! Boy, there are some extremely large bugs flying around your place. Might have to consider wire mesh for the bug net to guard them off. HA! HA!
    Thanks for sharing the idea. I will be added the shock cord to my existing bug net.

Images
    Great design. I made one a few weeks ago and it got its first real test this weekend. I set up my HHED and my DIY with Fronkey net in the yard. Friday night my daughter & I camped out there, and on saturday my wife took a turn. It was warm & buggy both nights, and Yooper skeets are nasty. But the net worked great, the Queenbee would have let me know otherwise

I made the end openings about 3" long, so I could slide it off to one end of the hammock when not needed, but it had a tendency to creep inwards on the RL. Since I had hemmed the ends, I just threaded some mason line through so I can cinch it down outside the whipped end of the hammock- works a treat. I just tied them for now, till I can get a couple cordlocks.

We've looked at other DIY bugnet designs but we really think this beats them all- no zipper, easy to make, cheap, and quick to get into. Very few bugs seem to follow you in through the bottom hole.

I'll soon be making the Princessbee a hammock (purple of course), and she'll certainly be getting the same kind of net.

Thanks again for the design.

Cheers,
    Dave
    Last edited by kingbee; 05-20-2012 at 22:29. Reason: Posted a thumbnail

Hammock
    Treedscape BigPaw
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's Tarp
    Insulation
    Treedscape BigHeat
    Suspension
    Straps + Whoopies
    Subscribed. So simple, I'll probably make one while I try to figure out getting the bugnet onto my DIY WarBird.

Thanks Fronkey!
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive" - Elbert Hubbard

Hammock
    D.I.Y
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    D.I.Y Whoopies
    Fronkey just wanted to let you know that this design keep me from getting carried away buy them little buggers.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by doogie View Post
    This is the video that got me to join the Hammock Forums. I had been looking for something cost effective so I can try spending some nights in my Eno double-nest that I received as a gift a few years ago. I just completed the bug net last night and plan to use it this weekend and spend my first night elevated to a higher level. Thanks for the design and video.
    That's really great to hear doogie. I'm happy that you made one and joined HF too. There are a lot of other fun projects on here from some more of our fellow hammock forums members. Careful though, D.I.Y. is addicting.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
    Great video! Boy, there are some extremely large bugs flying around your place. Might have to consider wire mesh for the bug net to guard them off. HA! HA!
    Thanks for sharing the idea. I will be added the shock cord to my existing bug net.
    She is an escape artist and would still find away to get in. Thanks for watching!

Quote Originally Posted by kingbee View Post
    Great design. I made one a few weeks ago and it got its first real test this weekend. I set up my HHED and my DIY with Fronkey net in the yard. Friday night my daughter & I camped out there, and on saturday my wife took a turn. It was warm & buggy both nights, and Yooper skeets are nasty. But the net worked great, the Queenbee would have let me know otherwise

I made the end openings about 3" long, so I could slide it off to one end of the hammock when not needed, but it had a tendency to creep inwards on the RL. Since I had hemmed the ends, I just threaded some mason line through so I can cinch it down outside the whipped end of the hammock- works a treat. I just tied them for now, till I can get a couple cordlocks.

We've looked at other DIY bugnet designs but we really think this beats them all- no zipper, easy to make, cheap, and quick to get into. Very few bugs seem to follow you in through the bottom hole.

I'll soon be making the Princessbee a hammock (purple of course), and she'll certainly be getting the same kind of net.

Thanks again for the design.

Cheers,
    Dave
    The photo looks awesome. I'm happy to see that you got one made and it worked great for you.

The Princessbee will be rockin' the purple!
    Quote Originally Posted by trippaw View Post
    Subscribed. So simple, I'll probably make one while I try to figure out getting the bugnet onto my DIY WarBird.

Thanks Fronkey!
    Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by mryan27 View Post
    Fronkey just wanted to let you know that this design keep me from getting carried away buy them little buggers.
    I'm glad you are safe and only being carried away by your hammock.

Fronkey

Well I got my birthday present early this year and it's a... Sewing machine!! I've got all the material I need for this project but realized I don't know what stitch to use. My wife thought zig-zag but I figured I would ask here and see what y'all think!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Hex Fly
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    Big Agnes Ins Pad
    Suspension
    Slings & Whoopies
    My son and I each made one two weeks ago. They worked great on our canoe trip. I used mine with my ENO-DN and he used it with his GTUL. We decided to use the netting from REI. I do not think there are tons of no-see-ums near us. Rather simple to construct and works great. Some in our troop were wondering what we were going to do with the area being somewhat buggy.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by akx View Post
    Well I got my birthday present early this year and it's a... Sewing machine!! I've got all the material I need for this project but realized I don't know what stitch to use. My wife thought zig-zag but I figured I would ask here and see what y'all think!
    I just use a straight stitch and it has worked great for me. Since you're new to the sewing game, practice with some scrap pieces first and then you will be good to go to tackle this easy project.

Quote Originally Posted by DerNageler View Post
    My son and I each made one two weeks ago. They worked great on our canoe trip. I used mine with my ENO-DN and he used it with his GTUL. We decided to use the netting from REI. I do not think there are tons of no-see-ums near us. Rather simple to construct and works great. Some in our troop were wondering what we were going to do with the area being somewhat buggy.
    That's awesome! Sounds like you and your boy had an awesome trip too.

Fronkey

Hammock
    HH Explorer Hex Fly
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    Big Agnes Ins Pad
    Suspension
    Slings & Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post

That's awesome! Sounds like you and your boy had an awesome trip too.

Fronkey
    It was an awesome trip! A little fishing on the Pax and then the B2 Bomber flew by about four passes and the Blue Angels wrote GEICO Ads up in the sky!
    Last edited by DerNageler; 05-26-2012 at 19:33.

Hammock
    Eno SN & DN
    Tarp
    Eno Profly
    Insulation
    PLUQ UQ&TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Rings
    Images
    Great design. I easily made two of these for my eno sn and the walmart special I leave on the porch. I got away with 6 yards each for them as the ridgeline is shorter on these. In fact, I am laying in one now with my eno sn on the porch while typing this. Thanks again. I use amsteel continuous loops and rings and sewed mine pretty much all the way up around the suspension and just worked the lines through the little gap. It seems to seal up well enough. I did fold over the seams and double stitch them so that creates a good seal around the suspension.

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast