Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Nice report and as AS suggests update after a year.
    Like some of the fogies here I've carried canvas shelter-halves up to cuben. Lately I've been carrying SpinnUL. I still believe that spinn is the best compromise of what is out there cost/weight/sound/stretch factors all together.

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Nice article Raul. I hope to progress to that Maccat Deluxe Cuben someday myself. Or maybe make a DIY cuben this winter For my winter trips involving camping out of a car or a short hike, I treasure my Backwoods Daydreamer Winter Dream like nothing else I own.

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Interesting article.

You should make a note and update the article in another year. Perhaps use your OES (without doors) in some winter conditions along with the HG. It's amazing how that a relatively small tarp can work well in those conditions if it's pitched properly.

Also, you note the D-rings on the OES tarp in the article. I just cut mine off the Cuben version with some wire pliers. I now secure the tie-outs directly to the tarp's webbing loop at the corner, and find the d-rings aren't needed. You might consider that too, considering the overall weight of the tarp vs the rings.
    Roger that. I will do an update this time next year... put it on my outlook calendar.

I'm not sure I'd be using the MacCat in the winter. I went out for my 18 mile round trip in April 2011 and it was windy as hell and got down to the low 30*Fs. I was robbed probably 3 times that night of warmth. I couldn't imagine it in the teens. But as you said it's about how you pitch it. But there also runs into the variable of the availability of hang spots, and the density of the brush.

Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
    Great article Raul! Am thinking of upgrading to a cuben tarp...love my Superfly, but it is a bit heavy...hmmm, its like the Hammock Gear cuben keeps calling out to me!

Cheers
    I'm still waiting... I have a kick arse intro for it too but I need the tarp and to test it out. Look for a video in November when I can actually get away from my work place.

Quote Originally Posted by bloomgorge View Post
    i really like how the site if coming and the depth of information. i also down size if tarps from HH sil to OES maccat deluxe and loosing the material only benefited in weight savings and i've been dry since. i was nervous at first but 6oz lighter is really nice.

good stuff raul
    Thanks buddy glad you liked the article and the overall blog. I'm trying to keep it versitile, informative, and light hearted.

Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    Nice "rolling" review of tarps. I notice that all of them "worked" as designed, and that you were very clear about positives and negatives. 'Nother good job, Raul!
    Thanks Beep! Keepin it real!

Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    I agree, that was nice to see a "rolling" review of tarps. I have a huge tarp 14X10, it was my first tarp and has a ton of coverage. I do want a smaller lighter tarp but dont want to go too small. For some reason I've never considered having a winter and summer tarp. I'll have to look into that!
    Yeah I started having 2 seperate tarps this year. One for 3 season and one for the deep winter.

Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Nice writeup. Thanks.

Seems to me there is no "perfect" tarp like there is no perfect canoe or perfect ski or perfect any other piece of gear that has a wide range of conditions to operate under. What folks can do is acquire the knowledge of how to use what they have to the best of it's capability while developing the knowledge of what to choose for the expected conditions of a given trip. Part of the fun is using different gear to see what happens and learn how the tradeoffs fit individual style.
    Nope no perfect tarp out there for everyone. But I think I settled on 2 sizes for 2 seperate seasons based on my testing the past 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    Now I'm curious what the smallest tarp one could get away with for the blackbird hammock for 3 seasons? I was just one the OES site and the macCat micro seems pretty small but doable (10'x5' (120"x60")). If it were available in Cuban fiber it would almost weight nothing!
    A lot of people get away with the Micro. However you start to lose cooking real estate at a certain point. For me I want to be able to sit up and cook in the rain and not worry about my stuff getting drenched underneath my hammock. The OES Deluxe size seems to fit perfectly for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    Another great write up WM.

Roadtorque: I'd personally be afraid to try a 5' wide tarp, but I'm likely just paranoid,I'msure someone on here has successfully used one to keep themselves and all their gear completely dry in a rain storm. But for me I think 7' would be the narrowest I'd be willing to go.
    Glad you liked it! So far 8' is the lowest for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbaby View Post
    Too bad we can't get a superfly made out of cuben fiber.
    Who knows. But Hammock Gear's updated winter design is basically tit for tat with the WB Superfly.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Nice report and as AS suggests update after a year.
    Like some of the fogies here I've carried canvas shelter-halves up to cuben. Lately I've been carrying SpinnUL. I still believe that spinn is the best compromise of what is out there cost/weight/sound/stretch factors all together.
    Spinn is a great compromise with weight and price. The packability of it was the killer for me especially when I went down to a smaller pack size.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeBait View Post
    Nice article Raul. I hope to progress to that Maccat Deluxe Cuben someday myself. Or maybe make a DIY cuben this winter For my winter trips involving camping out of a car or a short hike, I treasure my Backwoods Daydreamer Winter Dream like nothing else I own.
    Glad you liked it. Yeah I'm a big proponent of big tarps for winter.

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

Youtube Channel:

Hammock
    BIAS
    Tarp
    HG cuban
    Insulation
    Baby Orca UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    A good read, thanks for all the info man!

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    UQ + sleeping bag
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks, Raul!
    Articles like these really helps a newbie like me to cut straight to the good stuff.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whooooo Raul! Mighty fine tarp write-up. Made for a terrific read.
    I just popped a hole in my cuben tarp on my last trip with one of my GrizzBridge spreader bars. The tarp has such a nice tight pitch and I pitched it wide but when going to get into the bridge ....the top spreader goes up high and popped and tore a good size hole. But I used some duct tape to patch it and it fixed it right up. Although a bit hillbilly looking now. so that is a pro and con for cuben.
    I wanted to see how it would do with a bridge hammock. Sil would not have popped and is much looser.
    Enjoyed the write up. Yo......
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pellet gun View Post
    A good read, thanks for all the info man!
    Glad it helped!

Quote Originally Posted by Oskar View Post
    Thanks, Raul!
    Articles like these really helps a newbie like me to cut straight to the good stuff.
    I've learned by trial and tested in the bush. I suggest most people do the same. These are just my experiences others may vary. Glad you liked it!

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Whooooo Raul! Mighty fine tarp write-up. Made for a terrific read.
    I just popped a hole in my cuben tarp on my last trip with one of my GrizzBridge spreader bars. The tarp has such a nice tight pitch and I pitched it wide but when going to get into the bridge ....the top spreader goes up high and popped and tore a good size hole. But I used some duct tape to patch it and it fixed it right up. Although a bit hillbilly looking now. so that is a pro and con for cuben.
    I wanted to see how it would do with a bridge hammock. Sil would not have popped and is much looser.
    Enjoyed the write up. Yo......
    Shug
    Glad you liked it Shug... OMG! You're not the only person who has torn their tarp with a spreader bar! Contact Hyperlite mountain gear. They have a proprietary cuben tape (white) which is a tape and woven cuben fiber in it. It was $2.50 per foot when I bought it last year for repairs like this.
    Last edited by Raul Perez; 10-02-2011 at 10:08.

Youtube Channel:

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB, HG + Phoenix
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    Spinn is a great compromise with weight and price. The packability of it was the killer for me especially when I went down to a smaller pack size.

Glad you liked it. Yeah I'm a big proponent of big tarps for winter.
    Sad that Spinn looks like it's off the market indefinitely. Would love to hear otherwise.
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 Double Layer
    Big Mamajamba Sil
    20D Black Mamba, 40D Burrow, 20D Phoenix
    DIY Whoopies and straps

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    This is great!
    Not only do you cover pretty much all of the tarps, but you have video visuals to go along with it.

I am really looking forward to when you get your cuben tarp from Hammockgear. Being that there is no sewing and they use a lighter fabric, I’m sure you are going to have a new favorite.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to make these articles.

Fronkey

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast