HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

Types of Cord

I've been reading a ton of info on suspension using cords for both the hammock & CRL for the tarp, plus guide lines.

Is there a link for the different cords hammock users are using?

For example:

1. Zing It = 1.75 mm used for ?
    a. If used in ridgeline on tarp have a minimum of 25-30 feet.

2. Mason Line = ?

IOW, a breakdown of the different cords, & maybe even a list of suppliers.

At the moment, I'm trying to figure out what's the best cord to use for a CRL for my tarp.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    At the moment, I'm trying to figure out what's the best cord to use for a CRL for my tarp.
    No one best cord.

You can use Amsteel, Zing it, Fling it, Lash it, Dynaglide and some more I sure others on the forum can add to this list..
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    No one best cord.
    I agree there are a number of opinions on why someone likes using one cord over the other. Some might like 'Glow', 'Lighter", or "Stronger".

I'm thinking more like a "Sticky" listing the different cords, application, strength & weakness of the cords listed.

Web sites which sell cord, usually just list, the size, strength before breaking, & price.

I'm playing catchup from 2005 & most of the cord I used at the time was what REI was selling.

There is a wealth of info both here & on Youtube, however, it takes weeks to sort & find the info. Some of the links go back to 2008 & there's newer, better, lighter, less cost and so on. I like the one source to compare, and the KISS method when trying to decide.

I think what I'm trying to said, is a Wiki Hammock Cord List. Where different members contribute to the "Sticky" using the experience of the strengths & weakest of each cord.

For Dynaglide 2 mm: made from 100% Spectra.
    Strengths/Pros:
    Weakness?Cons:
    Applications/Used for:

With the above info in one place, hangers can decide what's the best cord to use for their tarp or hammock.

Would be great to add webbing as well.

Hope that makes it a little clearer of what I'm thinking.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    OES deluxe
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I use braided mason line for my tarp tie outs.

1.75mm Zing it (400#) for my ridgeline, and also for the line I use to hang my HF flag.

I use 7/64ths amsteel (1600#)for my whoopies.

My strength numbers may be off, as I am posting from memory.

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by olzeke View Post
    I use braided mason line for my tarp tie outs.

1.75mm Zing it (400#) for my ridgeline, and also for the line I use to hang my HF flag.

I use 7/64ths amsteel (1600#)for my whoopies.

My strength numbers may be off, as I am posting from memory.
    1. The 'Braided' is better than Twined on the Mason Line if what I've read is correct.

2. You're 1.75 Zing it for your ridgeline, is it 'Continuous'?

3. If it's 'Continuous' what length do you use?
    Last edited by OneThing; 10-02-2011 at 14:39. Reason: Wasn't finished typing my post

Banned
    Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Thinsulate UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Would it okay to use amsteel blue for everything, if I could get it for cheap?

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonb986 View Post
    Would it okay to use amsteel blue for everything, if I could get it for cheap?
    From what I'm reading the Dynaglide is stronger. However, I'm not sure what size would be overkill.

I would like to buy 200 feet of one and just use it for everything. However, I just finished watching another youtube video on, "A Hardware Free Detachable Hammock Suspension" Great video, but once again, I'm trying to figure out what cord is being used, is it field tested and so on.

I realize, some of the newer stuff is still in the testing stage. However, there is times where too much info is no info.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    OP: There's no significant new technology in cord or rope since 2005.

If you look in HF you will find almost exclusively -- would 99+% fit that? -- reference to hollow- core single-braided line of maximum possible strength per unit length.

So, there must be other backpacking-related forums where knots are better tolerated, respected and appreciated, and where covered cord is discussed. You know, the way sailers have fondnesses for different braided lines for the way they handle, wear, and take knots. All of those lines, though, are much heavier than you would use for camping rain tarps.

For example, Marlow Ropes makes a 4mm Dyneema core, polyester cover Elite 78, with a breaking strength of 2200lb. But at 1.0Kg /100m, it weighs twice as much as Marlow's slippery Dyneema single braid 3mm product of equal strength, and four times as much as the heaviest line, Dynaglide, some here want to use.*

There are arborist throw ropes, eg Stein Safety, that are equally expensive as the U$.20 /ft NERopes and Samson products, (Zing-It, Fling-It, Lash-It, and Dynaglide). A web search will turn up others, eg Slick and Target, that are less expensive.

Other places to search would be kite suppliers for Dacron line and para-sailing shops. But, that's an expensive sport, and the Dyneema lines marketed there maintain the entry level.

*Multiply Kg / 100m X 10 =(approx) Ounces / 100 ft.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneThing View Post
    From what I'm reading the Dynaglide is stronger.

I would like to buy 200 feet of one and just use it for everything. However, I just finished watching another youtube video on, "A Hardware Free Detachable Hammock Suspension" Great video, but once again, I'm trying to figure out what cord is being used, is it field tested and so on.

I realize, some of the newer stuff is still in the testing stage. However, there is times where too much info is no info.
    I think you're probably making it more complicated that it really is. The three kinds of cord most often used are Amsteel (in various diameters), Dynaglide, and Zing-It. Amsteel is for suspensions, Dynaglide is for Ridgelines and Tie-outs and general purpose use, Zing-It is an alternate to Dynaglide for the same purposes, but isn't rated as high.

It's more than fine to use one cord for everything. If so, Amsteel is the best all-purpose choice. Many choose 7/64" as it is rated to 1600lbs, while others want more safety factor so they choose 1/8" Amsteel rated at 2500lbs.

No, Dynaglide isn't stronger than Amsteel. It's just one of the various cords used because it is 2mm, spliceable, very visible, and it's slick coating glides well over branches and bark. Some have used it for suspension use, but that's really not advised because of the low safety factor. Zing-It is more than fine for ridglines, tarp tie-outs, etc., but like Dynaglide should not be used for hammock suspensions.

---

As DemostiX stated, sheathed lines generally aren't favored on this forum as much as the single braid options. I think that mainly has to do with ease of splicing, and folks recommending what they have become familiar with more than anything.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    I think you're probably making it more complicated that it really is. The three kinds of cord most often used are Amsteel (in various diameters), Dynaglide, and Zing-It. Amsteel is for suspensions, Dynaglide is for Ridgelines and Tie-outs and general purpose use, Zing-It is an alternate to Dynaglide for the same purposes, but isn't rated as high.

It's more than fine to use one cord for everything. If so, Amsteel is the best all-purpose choice. Many choose 7/64" as it is rated to 1600lbs, while others want more safety factor so they choose 1/8" Amsteel rated at 2500lbs.

No, Dynaglide isn't stronger than Amsteel. It's just one of the various cords used because it is 2mm, spliceable, very visible, and it's slick coating glides well over branches and bark. Some have used it for suspension use, but that's really not advised because of the low safety factor. Zing-It is more than fine for ridglines, tarp tie-outs, etc., but like Dynaglide should not be used for hammock suspensions.

---

As DemostiX stated, sheathed lines generally aren't favored on this forum as much as the single braid options. I think that mainly has to do with ease of splicing, and folks recommending what they have become familiar with more than anything.

That's the info I was looking to find. That would be a great "Sticky" At least, it would be a great start if anyone added to it as well.

As I mentioned, too much information can become confusing. I would be more than happy to just know what the hammock community is using, what they're using it on, where to purchase, and some pros & cons of the cord.

For myself, I plan on using 40 feet of Zing it for my Tarp CRL. (The extra will be used for emergency use) I'm going to use Mason line (Braided) for guide lines. I'm using the Mason line, because I've read it's a little easier to do splicing.

The Sticky is just a nice reference point to start. Once I see the different cords, (Used by experience hangers here on HF) I can begin my research from there & decide if I want to maybe go all cord, or add Dutch hardware, Tarp Tensioner, and so on.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast