Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear

Road Trippin'

It's time for new wheels, and this time, my bed (hammock) is going with me.

I'm looking at cargo vans, and beyond that, the slate is blank. How would my fellow hangers procede?
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Sprinter

I think the ultimate would be a Sprinter van converted to your wants and desires. Lots of head room for living and hanging a hammock inside shouldn't be a problem given its length and cabin height. They also get awesome gas mileage, something very surprising given their size. One can pick up a used commercial version relatively cheap I believe, the customized passenger versions are a bit more .

I have been drooling over some Sprinter Camper conversions for a while now. Don't know why considering I backpack primarily but they sure look like the lap of road luxury.

BG

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    I have no experience with american vans, but if I was looking for a van to hang in, it would be the sprinter. I've driven plenty with 300k on the clock and they still run sweet.
    Rear wheel drive too.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I would consult Consumer's Union (Consumer Report magazine) as a beginning place. It is driven by fairly objective data. I always start there when making a major purchase. Individual experiences are great, but it is hard to extrapolate them to a more wide, time tested data base.

In addition, I would consider service issues that may arise, convenience of getting such done, availability of parts, etc. Just a few initial ideas on my coffee break at work.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    The Sprinter doesn't appear to be available in my area, and in any case, the price puts it out of reach...gonna be a Chevy cargo van, methinks.

I should have been more clear on that...my question is more along the lines of how would you rig said Chevy for hanging and tripping?
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I built a GoodTimes van out of a 74 Ford Cargo van. One of the most fun projects ever. Sold it at a huge profit; wish I would not have sold it. I think you'll have to do some extra reinforcing to hang inside. I don't recall there being anything I'd be comfortable hanging from, even in an old 74'.

It is gonna be the coolest portable hammock stand yet! I can see it in my head and I'm already jealous.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I'm guessin CU won't be helpful with the rigging part. We will know we are mainstream when they do a review of hammocks or hanging devices.

Kkeep us posted, I am anxious to hear how that turns out. Wife and I are gonna do a road trip, canoe on top, hanging our way around. Few years off.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I built a GoodTimes van out of a 74 Ford Cargo van. One of the most fun projects ever. Sold it at a huge profit; wish I would not have sold it. I think you'll have to do some extra reinforcing to hang inside. I don't recall there being anything I'd be comfortable hanging from, even in an old 74'.
    I agree...thinking about welding up a stand to fit in the available space along the wall behind the driver...couple of padeyes on the floor w/ratchet straps, and it won't go anywhere.
    Dave

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I lived and traveled for a year in a full sized Dodge van in the early 70s. It was probably the most memorable year of my life. I've owned several other vans throughout my life and one of my favorites was the Chevy Astro AWD. While being smaller than the full sized vans, it still had plenty of room to haul gear and sleep. (before hammocks) It's smaller size made it easier to drive and park while still keeping you high for great visibility. The AWD was great in the snow and for some mild off pavement driving. I know Chevey no longer makes the Astro but used one's are still available.

My current ride is a Honda Element which combines the best of both worlds. I love my Element! Sadly 2011 will be the last year for the Element. ):

Miguel

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    The Chevy Astro AWD's are awesome! They will go anywhere and they're super comfy!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast