Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    As usual, good stuff here!

Now for a Shameless Plug:
    For a chance to test your gear as suggested in the Blog (in winter conditions but a safe place), come to the Mt Rogers Winter hangout.

Lots of experience to draw on, Ample help if you have a failure, close to "Bail out" opportunity, ample winter hiking chances, Excellent scenery & good company round the campfire.

You may even get to see a wild pony or more.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    I have that same lantern and love it!

Last time I went out we got down to 23F and as soon as I got in my hammock I was cold because my body heat hadn't warmed up the place yet. So, I pulled my quilt over my head and brought in my candle lantern and I got warm really fast. I figure it should be enough heat to warm up a tarp.

Another question for you WM, I had a night last time I was out when it was only 38F, but the wind was a robbing jerk with stealing all my heat from my under quilt. What are your thought on how to prevent that? I heard UQ protectors can help. Should I get one that is breathable?

Fronkey
    Breathable...yes! Biggest help is to block the wind with tarp, terrain, snow, or...protector. Condensation is an issue, more so as temperatures drop.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    In my experience....here in MN a tea candle lantern will not do much to add warmth in a tarp in 10º or below. It does brighten and warm the mood though.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Great advice dude!

Seriously, you did an awesome job putting emphasis on how a person should test out THEIR own gear.

Do I know how long my stove takes to boil water in 10F? Absolutely not

But, I'm going to find out soon when I test it out.

I personally test out my 3-season gear like crazy and am already doing mad research on winter camping. Because like you said, you are screwed if you aren't prepared.

I hope this isn't the last winter article you do this year, as I can use all the help I can get.

Thanks again for making these.

Fronkey
    I may do a blog on what I bring and what I wear but I want to do some actual hiking and testing first because I like to walk the walk before I write the write ya feelin me?

Glad you liked it and thanks... again for the rating

Quote Originally Posted by ljcsov View Post
    Those videos got me so pumped for the winter!!!

My GF and I have been gearing up as well. We just got our new snowshoes in the other week. We each picked up a pair of RedFeathers. She has the Pace model and I have the Trek. We are both pumped for the first snowfall.

I also have been rounding up all my warm clothing - hats, snow pants, high gore-tex gaiters, gloves, fleeces....can't wait!

From when I snowboarded a lot when I was younger, I have developed an enjoyment for being out in the winter weather. I can remember being a little boy thrilled by the first snowfall, flopping all about in my one piece snow suit. Its just such a great feeling being out in the snow and being nice and warm inside all your clothing.

Great video!

...with all the heavy precipitation the East Coast has been seeing I wouldn't be surprised if we have a heavy snow laden winter!
    Yeah man I'm pumped too finally hit the 60's here on Long Island. Looking for some low temps in a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by AScott View Post
    I hope not too soon...

Thanks for the good info, Water Monkey.
    No problemo playa!

Quote Originally Posted by ArcsandSparks View Post
    Great blog WM! Very true about testing gear prior to actually using it! So far my best is -2 and I've done well (still typing ) I did spend many nights/days testing my gear before taking it out though. Better be safe than sorry....

Fronkey,
    I will get you out in the negatives this year...just you wait
    When keepin it real gets a Monkey! Glad you liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristDriven View Post
    I did spit on the screen. Good advice!
    Peace be with you... and also with you! Glad you liked it!

I have that same lantern and love it!

Last time I went out we got down to 23F and as soon as I got in my hammock I was cold because my body heat hadn't warmed up the place yet. So, I pulled my quilt over my head and brought in my candle lantern and I got warm really fast. I figure it should be enough heat to warm up a tarp.

Another question for you WM, I had a night last time I was out when it was only 38F, but the wind was a robbing jerk with stealing all my heat from my under quilt. What are your thought on how to prevent that? I heard UQ protectors can help. Should I get one that is breathable?

Fronkey
    I think its about the tarp really. That's why I advocate a tarp with doors at freezing temps. I tried the UQ protector but I didn't like the way it got in my face when I laid in the hammock.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    As usual, good stuff here!

Now for a Shameless Plug:
    For a chance to test your gear as suggested in the Blog (in winter conditions but a safe place), come to the Mt Rogers Winter hangout.

Lots of experience to draw on, Ample help if you have a failure, close to "Bail out" opportunity, ample winter hiking chances, Excellent scenery & good company round the campfire.

You may even get to see a wild pony or more.
    Plugger!!!

Glad you liked it.

What... nobody is talking about how Old Man Winter is a Pimp... man I thought that was hysterical... yes Water Monkeys laugh at their own joke.

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

Youtube Channel:

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    What... nobody is talking about how Old Man Winter is a Pimp... man I thought that was hysterical... yes Water Monkeys laugh at their own joke.
    He's even got his own powder to put on his hand first!

Seriously, though, good advice to all of us. It's real easy to think that you know something from reading it and then find out that you really don't know the first freaking thing about it when the chips are down. Not a place you want to be when your life may depend on it.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    One the issues (touched on by Raul) is that even relatively simple manual tasks become much more difficult and slow when your hands & fingers are cold. Even simple things can then become much more of trial (e.g. rigging your tarp, hammock and quilts).

Practice, practice, practice! Learn by doing before your comfort and safety depend on it!!! Besides, any doubts that your neighbors may have had about you can be fully resolved when they see you in the yard at zero degrees F. for an overnight test!
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    good stuff raul. i remember testing out an old sleeping bag in my yard one time. i laid out there for awhile in the lower limits of the bag until i got so cold i was probably near hypothermia. i literally couldnt' warm up even after abandoning the bag and going inside back under my mountain of quilts. it wasn't until i took a long hot shower that i warmed up enough to go back to sleep. a lesson better learned at the safety of my house than out in the mountains.

healthy advice...

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    He's even got his own powder to put on his hand first!

Seriously, though, good advice to all of us. It's real easy to think that you know something from reading it and then find out that you really don't know the first freaking thing about it when the chips are down. Not a place you want to be when your life may depend on it.
    LOL talcum baby!

Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    One the issues (touched on by Raul) is that even relatively simple manual tasks become much more difficult and slow when your hands & fingers are cold. Even simple things can then become much more of trial (e.g. rigging your tarp, hammock and quilts).

Practice, practice, practice! Learn by doing before your comfort and safety depend on it!!! Besides, any doubts that your neighbors may have had about you can be fully resolved when they see you in the yard at zero degrees F. for an overnight test!
    Yes I made minor mention but your fine motor skills get really depleted once your in some serious cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    good stuff raul. i remember testing out an old sleeping bag in my yard one time. i laid out there for awhile in the lower limits of the bag until i got so cold i was probably near hypothermia. i literally couldnt' warm up even after abandoning the bag and going inside back under my mountain of quilts. it wasn't until i took a long hot shower that i warmed up enough to go back to sleep. a lesson better learned at the safety of my house than out in the mountains.

healthy advice...
    Yeah man good solid testing there!

Youtube Channel:

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Always good stuff man. Keep 'em coming!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12