Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images

Local insulation

Ok, so here's my situation. I don't have time to await IX or down to be delivered but I need to put together two UQs and TQs. While I could just split a couple of Walmart sourced sleeping bags I'm looking for a lighter, more compactable solution. I have a Joanns and Hancocks fabric stores in my area and lots of thrift stores (although not enough time to search them all). So what store should I walk into and what should I ask for? I'm looking to get down to freezeing temps with less than 5lbs per set. I need to do this quickly because I just got the go ahead to make the MAHHA hang in 2 weeks and I will most likely be bringing my brother-in-law with me. I have 2 hammocks, and 2 tarps (even though one is a blue WW tarp), 2 kitchen kits, but I don't have 2 quilt systems. Surrently I have a CCF pad, a Fleece UQ and blanket, and a sleeping bag that is way too heavy and bulky (+6 lbs) to hike off into the woods with.

Also, I'm extremely budget concious with this request. So the cheaper the better, just hoping for a better solution than pads for the both of us.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    Ok, so here's my situation. I don't have time to await IX or down to be delivered but I need to put together two UQs and TQs. While I could just split a couple of Walmart sourced sleeping bags I'm looking for a lighter, more compactable solution. I have a Joanns and Hancocks fabric stores in my area and lots of thrift stores (although not enough time to search them all). So what store should I walk into and what should I ask for? I'm looking to get down to freezeing temps with less than 5lbs per set. I need to do this quickly because I just got the go ahead to make the MAHHA hang in 2 weeks and I will most likely be bringing my brother-in-law with me. I have 2 hammocks, and 2 tarps (even though one is a blue WW tarp), 2 kitchen kits, but I don't have 2 quilt systems. Surrently I have a CCF pad, a Fleece UQ and blanket, and a sleeping bag that is way too heavy and bulky (+6 lbs) to hike off into the woods with.

Also, I'm extremely budget concious with this request. So the cheaper the better, just hoping for a better solution than pads for the both of us.
    Have you thought about borrowing one? Maybe someone going to the Mahha hang will have something extra you could use. Also, REI has a rental place in it. Which would be a cheap solution as well.

I'm sure others will chime in with some good ideas. Good luck dude!

Fronkey

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Have you considered pads?

diygearsupply.com typically ships in a day or two and with Priority mail, you'd have your IX in 3-4 days... Give scott a yell
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Banned
    Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Thinsulate UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    If you need something fast, you might just try using an extra sleeping pad and some how stringing it up without having to cut them.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Yeah, I was figuring I would end up doing the pad thing. Wishful thinking and all that. Looks as if my local temps and weather conditions will be mirroring the MAHHA site for the next couple of weeks. Will have to do some serious backyard testing to find what works well.

Oh whoa is me.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Images
    i will have extra (2) UQ/TQ zero degree and a 20 degree bag and a 40 degree TQ at the MAHHA
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    I'd say go with pads for under you. Space blankets may be your best friend. I'd second the go-ahead-and-order-it from Scott at DIYgearsupply I'm sure it'll be there in a few days.

PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Joann's has a product called Insul-bright. I picked up 2 yards (only comes 45" wide) and simply placed it in between the 2 layers of my DL WBBB. It really boosts the comfort level of a PLUQ, or any other UQ. It is maybe 50% breathable and provides that reflective layer which I find very comfy.

No! Dual Layer hammock? No PLUQ... I suppose sandwhiching the Insul-brite between 2 layers of fleece, perhaps with a nylon outer layer for wind resistance, would give a nice warm UQ. Not very compressible and IDK what it would weight, but that's a quick & dirty solution for the UQ.

I wouldn't use Insult-brite on top; just personal prefference. It has been done, I think John Sawyer did it, I just preffer the soft warmming goodness of down on top and synthetic on bottom.

Good Luck, hope that was useful.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

• + New Posts